Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
Reddestiny

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby Reddestiny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 am

I'm probably gonna get a lot of flak for this, but I decided to copy+paste a save-game for the following scenario:

Scenario: Mad man at distress beacon. You can try taking him on-board, but if you do, he could kill a crewman and die, or he could go sane and join your crew. Or you could just leave him behind.

I kept doing this over, and over, again with my save-game file, and it failed 7, SEVEN, times in a row. Succeeded on the 8th time.

Meaning that if I encountered this 8 times, my odds of getting screwed were 7/8. D:
Durus

Postby Durus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 am

Ouch about the mad man. I found with a slug crew member there is a blue option to check if he's dangerous.
There's usually a blue option when face with these dangerous choices, but only if you have the right upgrade/crew member on board.
celticfang

Postby celticfang » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 am

Too many to list

First off, got the boss's final form down to 1hp after a long, drawn out fight. So I relax and drop my shields to power my weapons (yeah, I was asking for it I know). The boss duly owned me.

Secondly. I got the Mantis Cruiser. I boarded my whole crew to take out a ship. Auto fire blew the ship up with them on it. I

Third. Running out of fuel in the rebel fleet.
Sick Boy

Postby Sick Boy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

in the engi ship, beat phase 2 of the boss, i'm all giggidy cause i know that with my 3 shields, 2 ion blasters, 2 anti-ship drones and mk 2 defense drone i'd win.

then i go fight phase 3, want to activate my second anti-ship drone but something is wrong, it won't go up.
I look at the top of my screen and i see that i have no more drones available, so only 1 anti-ship drone and no defense drone... i lost...
lee99

Postby lee99 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 am

*Possible spoilers*

I reached the final stand and I had a good ship going, fully manned, fully powered, really awesome, I had 1 turn left to reach the rebel flag ship and I thought I FTL jumped into it, I didn't, the game told me I lost and I was mad :( .

Another incident I had early on is that I was up against a ship that knocked out my 02 and set fire to it, not that bad but their boarding party took all my crew to 20% health and the med bay was burning aswell, my crew hid in a small room waiting for their demise as the oxygen run out, the rebel scout was taken care of atleast.

2nd time I was up against the boss I didn't know he had 2 more forms after defeating him the first time, I defeated him the first time and suddenly I notice he FTL jumps out of there, the game basically told me, you won? WELL NEW RULES BITCH YOU DON'T GET TO WIN, I caught up with him after and just got pummeled to death, that was hard to watch.
mojo

Postby mojo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:26 pm

I know this is a decently old thread, but I had to add my recent experiences to it. I'm pretty sure the game hates me because every time I get CLOSE to getting a new ship (I've beaten the game, so I have the federation cruiser and engi ship, and somehow got the zoltan cruiser, but can't get the rest) I run into some sort of ridiculous reason as to why I get completely screwed. Here are some of my "favorite" moments:

[WARNING: SOME SPOILERS ABOUND (albeit mostly minor)]

1) I've found the mantis cruiser guy ~5-6 times, 3 of which the crew didn't surrender so I ended up blowing the ship up accidentally, and then the other times I either didn't have an upgraded medbay or crew teleporter.

2) First jump, first ship is a rebel rigger with an attack drone (I think AD2 from the speed of it) and a heavy laser. First laser shot gets through my shields thanks to the drone and sets my shields on fire (2 of the 4 squares, too). Can't put out the fire fast enough, attack drone and heavy laser combo lights up my O2, weapon systems, artillery beam, and sensor systems (half of which get lit on fire as well). One of my crewmembers dies in the fire, and I ended up dying without any chance of survival. Couldn't even get my FTL charged up to jump. This was on EASY.

3) Somehow managed to get the glaive beam and weapon pre-igniters in the first sector (didn't even have to kill anyone for them, just randomly got them from nodes). Went through the whole game destroying EVERYTHING (was one-shotting most things immediately for the first few sectors). Got to the last sector, had to jump ~5-6 times to get to the boss, destroyed the first 2 phases of the last boss, and then had to take a 2 jump side trip to repair. Boss makes it to the base 1 jump before me and I insta-lose. I probably wasted boss 4 jumps just trying to get TO the boss. Also, did not see a single homeworld sector the entire game (would've been great since no ship stood a chance against me).

4) Get through the game to sector 7 before seeing a single homeworld. At sector 6 I ran out of fuel and had to sit around for a bunch of turns, only 2 of which I see any activity. Thankfully they both happened to be frigates that captured a crewmember when I sent an away team to investiage and I didn't have enough scrap to save them, so I lost 2 mantis (thanks RNG). Only got away because the rebel fleet caught up to me and I killed them for fuel. Hit sector 7 and enter engi homeworld. Go exploring, find 6-7 store nodes and 4-5 distress beacons (engi ship quest is found at empty nodes). I am forced to go through ~3 of the stores just to get to new nodes. End up getting forced down a 1-way path only to hit a dead-end and have to backtrack through the advancing rebel fleet, giving me 0 chance to find the quest giver. Thankfully, this one doesn't end here. I quit the game and re-open FTL the next day only to find I had saved the game at sector 3, so I trek all the way back to sector 7 again and get the quest giver in the FIRST NODE. End up killing both of the resulting quest ships and go to the last enemy to finally get a ship. The ship ends up having 3 shields and a hermes missile (as well as 3 other weapons, including a heavy laser). Ends up lighting my ship on fire constantly and misses with at most 1 of the missiles and I end up dying because of the pure missile damage (and also because half my ship is on fire at any given time). I had ~40% dodge.

5) Almost got the crystal cruiser once. Ended up actually finding 2 crystal stasis pods in that run, then was lucky enough to get the zoltan research facility twice (first time they were being held hostage). Too bad the rock homeworld was the section directly beforehand.

6) Found the slug home nebula a couple times, but never found the quest giver. The most recent time I got completely lit on fire by a single ship with an event that was made specifically to do so (doors were disabled, and I had upgraded them to max). Ended up surviving with 3 hp (from full, good thing I had upgraded all of my systems and subsystems a ton for that extra fire damage), go back a step to a store to heal up as much as I can (ended up getting 6 hull hp back), and the very next node has a ship with a hermes missile + heavy laser combo. Hermes missile hits me in 3 out of 4 shots and kills me. I had 45% dodge.

Those are about all I can remember currently. Love this game, but it fucking hates me.

Edit: Here's another few that just happened

7) 3rd jump is an ion blast + heavy laser combo in an ion storm. I have 4 power, so 2 goes to shields and 2 to my weapons. The heavy laser shot gets through my shields, not because of the ion blast but because the game decided that O2, artillery blast, and burst laser 2 were the most important things to power. That single blast lights half my shields room on fire, which then proceeds to almost kill my mantis crewman and bleeds out and lights my medbay on fire (so no healing him). End up having my sensors, doors, and O2 caught on fire as well from the fire spreading (and from the heavy laser constantly lighting everything it touches on fire) and die. Again, this is on EASY.

8) Same as 7, except this time it's an attack drone + heavy laser. Didn't get lit on fire, but instead the drone lit up every fucking system after it an the heavy laser just happened to both randomly hit my shields, rendering my ship completely defenseless.

9) Finally somehow managed to get the rock cruiser (although given that I am doing terribly with it maybe it wasn't much of a blessing), and most of the time I just end up running out of missiles because the shops only sell crappy beams or ion blasts, and never any lasers. Anyway, finally managed to get to like sector 3 and get the crew teleporter, and the game was even generous enough to give me 3 mantises and a slug. I ported 2 rockmen over to fight during the solar flares (and hopefully get the achievement), and half my ship ended up catching on fire from the flares (including my teleporter, doors, and O2). Since I left my mantises on the ship, they couldn't put out fires to save their lives, let alone the ship, but I killed the enemy ship pretty fast. Too bad my teleporter was on fire, and I tried to vent the O2 into space but it went too fast and killed my teleporter, so my rockmen got stuck on the other side while my entire ship lit up like a christmas tree. I repaired my teleporter to level 1 just in time for the enemy ship to explode from the fire damage from solar flares, taking my rockmen with it. Didn't help that I died, too.

10) 2nd jump, 1st sector with the rock cruiser. Boarded by *4* humans and dying because the rockmen move SO FUCKING SLOW. Oh, and yes this is STILL on easy.
Last edited by mojo on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cephalo

Postby cephalo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Ok, I've got one for today. I finally got BOTH a crew and a teleporter after many runs of having one or the other. I then get this random event where a zoltan ship is looking for fugitives. So I let them scan, which was a huge mistake. I refused to give up my crewmember. They then disabled my weapon system (thru your typical random event cheating) and attacked. I thought, no prob, I'll just board them. WRONG. It's a zoltan ship and I have no weapon to knock down the zoltan shield! Not only that, but the enemy has two very powerful burst lasers shredding my level 2 shields. I am helpless.

BOOM!

This happened in sector 4.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Reddestiny wrote:I'm probably gonna get a lot of flak for this, but I decided to copy+paste a save-game for the following scenario:

Scenario: Mad man at distress beacon. You can try taking him on-board, but if you do, he could kill a crewman and die, or he could go sane and join your crew. Or you could just leave him behind.

I kept doing this over, and over, again with my save-game file, and it failed 7, SEVEN, times in a row. Succeeded on the 8th time.

Meaning that if I encountered this 8 times, my odds of getting screwed were 7/8. D:

Actually, the odds are around 25/60/10
25 = He kills someone 60 = sane, 10 = He blows up some of your hull
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 am

Giant spiders.

26 wins, no Crystal Cruiser yet. Haven't even gotten the Crystal crew member.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm

zarakon wrote:Giant spiders.

26 wins, no Crystal Cruiser yet. Haven't even gotten the Crystal crew member.

Crystal Cruiser was either my 3rd or 4th ship unlock
:c

You'll get lucky eventually...

Or, download the mod that makes the Crystal Cruiser quest easier.

If all else fails, just use the FTL profile editor and hack your ship in.
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...