Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
SeemannTheAssamite

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby SeemannTheAssamite » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 am

I managed to unlock Torus thingy on my fifth go with Kestrel and got blown up a moment later. Okay. Time to try the new ship, then! I carefully picked the names for my Torus and its crew (took me about 5 minutes xD). Started the run.
First jump - solar flare system with an automated scout. With a rocket launcher. First shot - my doors go bye bye. Sent one of my crew to fix it. Then I get a combo from a meteor and a laser - drone disabled - sent another one. I managed to disable his weapons and the flare came, lighting my cockpit and life support. Needless to say I assploded not long afterwards.

EDIT: Oh, I checked - I got score of 20 on that... run. Twenty.
Last edited by SeemannTheAssamite on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you say 'pls' because it's shorter than 'please', then I say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
^,.,^
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:34 am

I was having a very good runI had the Kestrel Type B. I bought a halberd beam early and got a burst laser(3 shots). I was easily knocking down shields with the burst laser than tearing ships apart with the halberd left and right. Then I find the stasis pod, I find the place that opens it. First mistake is this is the first time I noticed the lockdown power. I try it out and see how to surrounds the room with crystals. Well I get boarded in an empty room and send my crystalman in to fight them and trap them with lockdown. .. except he traps himself too and gets killed in the 2v1.

But things go really good other than that mishap. I find a free anti-bio beam floating in space. I swap it for one of the single shot lasers, so I have halberd, burst, ant-bio, single laser. I can use 1,2 or 2,3,4.. the first combo destroys ships, the 2nd one clears them of crew for increased scrap. So I grow very fat with all of the scrap I get from killing crews. I have 3 shields and lots of weapon power. I feel invincible.

Then I fight this enemy with some sort of missile that can do 5+ hull damage per shot. I should have focused on taking down his weapons, but I got greedy and was trying to kill the crew with the anti bio beam. I was hit by too many missiles and exploded, losing the best progress I ever had in this game. I think I need to invest in engines more.
Flickey

Postby Flickey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 am

yeah...
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 am

I don't think you can win that even if the hostile ship wasn't there.
Chaz GELF

Postby Chaz GELF » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 am

I was just two jumps away from completing the sidequest to get the Stealth ship (I'd already completed the objectives and jumped to the next sector) when a Zoltan cruiser blew me up.

I have yet to get to an Engi Homeworld jump in my runs since then. D:
Marak

Postby Marak » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 am

Just had a good one. Having a solid run, second Sector, racking up good amounts of scrap, swimming in Missiles, just got my Weapon System upgraded a bit, acquired my 2nd Shield Bar...

...and then I find out that I'm stuck in the NE corner of the sector because the lowest beacon on the "path" I took doesn't link up with the north-most beacon in the SE corner, near the exit. Visually, it sure as hell looked like the gap was small enough to allow me to jump, but apparently not.

Yeah. You're never going to survive 8 straight (loot-less) battles with the Rebel Fleet at this point in the game. And even if you did (somehow), your losses - between damage sustained and post-battle scrap forfeited - would be game-ending, and you might as well just RageQuit.

Which I did. Fuck you, FTL, I'll be back tomorrow. You asshole.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 am

Marak wrote:Just had a good one. Having a solid run, second Sector, racking up good amounts of scrap, swimming in Missiles, just got my Weapon System upgraded a bit, acquired my 2nd Shield Bar...

...and then I find out that I'm stuck in the NE corner of the sector because the lowest beacon on the "path" I took doesn't link up with the north-most beacon in the SE corner, near the exit. Visually, it sure as hell looked like the gap was small enough to allow me to jump, but apparently not.

Yeah. You're never going to survive 8 straight (loot-less) battles with the Rebel Fleet at this point in the game. And even if you did (somehow), your losses - between damage sustained and post-battle scrap forfeited - would be game-ending, and you might as well just RageQuit.

Which I did. Fuck you, FTL, I'll be back tomorrow. You asshole.

Can't you just try to hunker down, put everything into engines and jump through as fast as possible?
Raxxman

Postby Raxxman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 am

Had a good but similar one, dunno if it was a bug, bad luck or me not looking correctly.

Having an awesome run on the Kestral, lots of scrap, good engine + shield + weapon upgrades for the level 2 mrk 2 burst lasers to chew through everything, all is good. Making my way top of the map, exit more or less flat in the center, Rebels right on my tail, no problems, one jump and I'm on to the exit.

So I do that jump, only to find myself unable to jump to the exit as it's seemingly out of range, oh... gg, but I'm sure that's the closest adjacent jump.

6 blockade busting jumps later I've done a full U shape jump and have reached the jump point south of the exit. Only that one is not in range of the jump either.

WTF?

I didn't really get any chance to reconsider the Rebels blew me away next jump :(
Durus

Postby Durus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 am

i LOLed at Flickey's screen shot.
I don't know how he got in to that position but he is REALLLY screwed.
navy_spitfire

Postby navy_spitfire » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 am

END GAME SPOILER:

Getting to the last boss for the third time (easy, default ship), getting him down to 1HP with relative ease (part 1, didn't even know I had to fight him x3) and then watching it all unfold and him killing me