Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:09 pm

The Captain wrote:Er, fix doors rather than fight and hope that venting kills them off before they destroy a second system? Sure, you'd be left with 1 HP, but that's not dead.

They were in O2. They were going to go to the pilot room next (they always do). Each was 1 power. Even with an Engi they'd have destroyed at least the first before I could get the doors fixed, when you count having to run there first. I seriously doubt they'd have been able to get them fixed before piloting was gone too.

And why didn't you upgrade shields with that scrap?

I've found that you really need a weapon quick with the Potential (which is why I've almost convinced myself to either give you a BL2 to start or add a mini beam to the current dual laser). This run was actually a test to see if it was viable to hold off on shields in order to hopefully buy something earlier in the game.

It was not :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Cyclic Infinity

Postby Cyclic Infinity » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:28 pm

In the Noether, first time ever playing it, I got hit with legitimate RNG screw. One of the few times I can't imagine what else I could have done.

I was working my way to activate the shields, and it was going fine. I had somewhere between 50 and 60 scrap, and had completed two perfect battles already. I'd already done Manpower on Zoltan A, a run that carried to sector 7 on normal, so I'd learned Zoltan power management and Zoltan Shield use. I had ~12 wins on normal at that point and know most of the tips and strategies.

Anyway, I jump to my sixth beacon to find myself in an asteroid field. So I say, well shit, this is what happens if you don't have long range scanners. I check the enemy weaponry, and see a Burst Laser Mk. II and an Ion Stunner. I plan to run, but fight in the meantime. I had full health, so I wasn't terribly worried. I just needed to kill the enemy quick so the FTL would spin up faster. So I charge up my ions and manage to fire them off. They both hit, and I get a nice pike beam across five rooms. But the enemy had 3 weapon power, and still has his lasers up. Then the zoltan shield goes down, and I have a 10 second wait minimum to fire again, and god only knows how long before the engines rev.

Almost immediately, an asteroid hits my engines. I'm not totally screwed yet, I might still escape with 5-10 health if I'm lucky. So, of course, both lasers hit my engines, lighting a fire I try to vent, as my barely alive engineer rushes to the medbay. Then another asteroid flies in and hits my doors, breaching them. And yet another hits my piloting. And, as it is an asteroid field, they keep bombarding me and open two more breaches between the engines and the medbay. Amazingly, O2 and medbay are still up.

The other ship breaks apart in the asteroids, but I know I'm almost entirely screwed. From asteroids I no longer have engines or piloting or doors and there are three breaches between medbay and engines. There's enough vented space to kill my zoltan unless they progress one breach at a time. And the asteroids just keep flying in. I start on the breaches, and another asteroid hits and kills two of the zoltan as they run back to the medbay. At that point I keep fighting, but O2 goes out and the final zoltan quickly suffocates.

TL;DR

Hit a strong offensive in an asteroid field in the Noether before shields. Engines went down first, then piloting, then doors, then O2, with 3 breaches between medbay and engines. Then everyone died.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:54 am

Did you shoot one ion at shields and the other at weapons? And do this twice before using the Pike? Or maybe, since it's an asteroid field, shoot both at shields first, then split the second volley.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:17 am

The Captain wrote:Did you shoot one ion at shields and the other at weapons? And do this twice before using the Pike? Or maybe, since it's an asteroid field, shoot both at shields first, then split the second volley.

From the way I am reading it, that wouldn't have helped. The first ion would have taken down the not-BL2, and the pike would have done the same damage. Maybe if he'd fired an ion to take shields, then the pike, and then an ion to take down weapons a 2nd time.

But that's asking for a decent amount of prescience. I had to think a lot longer than I normally give myself to come up with that one. Also, in an asteroid field with no shield, you want speed and taking down weapons instead of shields goes against that. I'm not saying that would make the move wrong, just not intuitive.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 am

Well, sixth beacon was mentioned, so I assumed the enemy only had one shield bubble. In this case, typically I shoot one ion at shields and the other at weapons. I even position the Pike Beam between the Ion Blasts, so the second ion has a bit of a delay due to the aft positioning.

Now, maybe the asteroids make one think shoot ions only at shields in hopes of keeping them down. That can work, too. I'm not sure what's better. I feel that asteroids have a way of missing the enemy ship and hitting yours just when you want it the other way around.
tragesi

Postby tragesi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Was having an amazing run on hard with the Rock C. :(
Heavy crystal+burst mark II+hull smasher just finished sector 4. With 40% defence and a hull repair drone, I figured I was guaranteed to get to the flagship just with what I had.
Then I encounter an enemy ship that hacks my shield with his level 2 hacking and tears me apart with the pair of Mark II+beam drone. He hit my weapons twice before I could fire and he had level 3 shields, so I was dead from the word go. :(

I think that's the most dangerous ship I've seen. How the heck do you beat 6 power worth of drones when your shields are hacked?!
Some_Random_Noob

Postby Some_Random_Noob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:54 am

In Sector 2 with a Zoltan ship, I got boarded by 2 Mantis, 2 Rock, and a Human. Obviously, they had to materialize in the medbay and destroy it before my crew got there.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:32 am

Every "Surprise! We snuck up on you, boarded your ship with half a dozen guys, drained all your oxygen, and disabled your medbay. Have a nice day!" event when I have a slug on board makes me want to smash something. Apparently everybody's slugs are psychic except mine.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Obz3hL33t wrote:Every "Surprise! We snuck up on you, boarded your ship with half a dozen guys, drained all your oxygen, and disabled your medbay. Have a nice day!" event when I have a slug on board makes me want to smash something. Apparently everybody's slugs are psychic except mine.

Level 2 Medbay. Upgrade your doors and Life Support, etc. Seriously, level 2 of things will save you a lot of trouble.
But if you have a Clone Bay, you're SOL as they'll disable that entirely, no saves AND send a bazillion slugs onboard :x

Someone needs to make that event where Life Support, medbay and doors are disabled and there's enough Slugs to fill each tile appears :lol:
AtraUnam

Postby AtraUnam » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Created an account just for this, and from what I've read of this thread it makes everyone else's bad luck look like a minor inconvinience.
Twas a fantastic run on the rock cruiser and by the time I met the flagship I was armed with an artemis missile and a pair of the 4 shot charge lasers. To top it off I had full shields, a cloak, and the holy grail of rock ships, the explosive replicator. The first stage wen't off without a hitch, didn't take a single hull point of damage and easily destroyed the flagship, the second/drone stage is where everything went down the drain.
To start with my missiles are now useless due to the defence drone, thats not so bad I wait for the pair of charge lasers to rack up 4 shots each. Then everything goes nuts, all 8 shots miss without even scratching the shield, the drone superweapon deploys so I cloak to 98% evasion. The drones and the mothership proceed to land every single shot ripping my ship apart in seconds, so much for 98% evasion.