Got Secret Ship on first ever playthrough! (Spoilers)

General discussion about the game.
GhoXen

Got Secret Ship on first ever playthrough! (Spoilers)

Postby GhoXen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 am

Without even paying any particular attention to it, I stumbled upon the secret Crystal Ship in my first ever playthrough. I heard that getting the ship is somewhat difficult, so here are some guidelines on how to obtain the ship.

First, make sure that your sectors are lining up in a order that at least makes obtaining the ship possible. You will want a chain of green (sector 5) > green (6) > red (7). Why is this? In order to obtain the ship you must travel from an Engi controlled space (green) to a Zoltan controlled space (green) and finally to the Rock Homeworld (red). If you don't have a combination like this, then you may end up obtaining/waking the pod in Sector 7 instead, making the quest impossible.

To make your life easier, get a long-range scanner as soon as possible. I don't think any particular upgrade in subsystems/systems is necessary, but I personally had level 2 sensors and teleporter.

In the Engi controlled space, search for beacons without hostile ships or stores (long-range scanner can tell you that). Eventually you will find a crystal ship, and you will get the option to grab the weapon/ammo or a damaged stasis pod. Choose the latter, you will need a free augmentation slot to take it.

Next in Zoltan controlled space, again search for beacons without hostile ships or stores. You may eventually come across some friendly Zoltans, who will offer you a third option to repair the damaged stasis pod, if you have it. Repair the pod and you will get a new crew, make sure you take him.

Finally in Rock Homeworld, once again search for beacons without hostile ships or stores. If you are lucky, you will find a transmitter reasonably soon, which will add a quest marker onto your star chart. Follow the quest marker and you will get your ship.

Good luck!

PS: I didn't have a rock man with me, but I did have an Engi and a Zoltan.
Justin
Site Admin

Re: Got Secret Ship on first ever playthrough! (Spoilers)

Postby Justin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 am

WoW!
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
arwan

Postby arwan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:21 am

i am currently in the 3rd sector. found the hidden ship. got the pod.. then made one jump to an adjacent star and was able to open it up.. looks like if im lucky i can possibly get this ship .. also 1st play through..
TheSlime

Postby TheSlime » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:26 am

Damn...on my 4th or 5th I found the ship and was gonna go for the other option (it's a weapon right?) but thought twice and had Jones grab the pod. Unfortunately I became a fireball somewhere in the next sector... :|
StechusKaktus

Postby StechusKaktus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:24 am

So whats it's stats?

I once was close to getting it too, had the crystal dude and it told me to go the rock home sector... didn't find it :(

Regards
Thark
Taalen

Postby Taalen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am

I'm fairly certain the first phase can happen just about anywhere. Not 100% mind you, but I think of the 4-5 times I got the first phase, only one happened in Engi space. I could swear I've encountered it at least in Nebulas and Pirate controlled sectors.
chrys1989

Postby chrys1989 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:36 pm

can you post a pic of its layout please .thanks
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Dammit, I had the stasis pod event too, but I needed the scrap for emergency repairs! :evil:

Oh well, better luck next time. Thanks for the tips though!
Virago

Postby Virago » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 pm

I just reached the second sector (in the Zoltan ship).
Happened to be a Rock Controlled Sector.
Second jump, had a distress beacon, and I grabbed the stasis pod.
-edit- didn't have long range scanners. So far vanilla Zoltan (on easy too, because I'm lame) with an extra Engi and Human aboard.
Sick Boy

Postby Sick Boy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Sir! what are you waiting for! we want to see the layout!