How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

General discussion about the game.
Freyar

Re: How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

Postby Freyar » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 am

Perhaps internal doors should actually open by default if the subsystem is destroyed instead, giving free access.
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

That would make the game too hard. All doors opening would compound to many problems like fire, no air, as well as boarding parties. Perhaps if there was a small SUPER rare chance of this happening I would be fine with that.
Freyar

Postby Freyar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 am

Snake Plissken wrote:That would make the game too hard. All doors opening would compound to many problems like fire, no air, as well as boarding parties. Perhaps if there was a small SUPER rare chance of this happening I would be fine with that.

It would give a reason to treat the door subsystem as an important subsystem rather than "just another target".
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 am

I'm not sure about this one. I feel like having all movement delayed just because one asteroid hit your least cared about system would be incredibly frustrating. I personally like the fact that you can ignore broken doors in most situations.... but then fires start to spread and you need to reevaluate priorities. But, yes all this means that attacking doors of the enemy is only a good idea if you plan to board them (and they have blast doors).

Just my 2 cents.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 am

Heh, the Dev saying "Just my 2 cents." Oh, Subset Games, you are precious. <3
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:48 am

isn't it more like 20054200 cents at this point? :lol:
Chief

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Justin wrote:I'm not sure about this one. I feel like having all movement delayed just because one asteroid hit your least cared about system would be incredibly frustrating. I personally like the fact that you can ignore broken doors in most situations.... but then fires start to spread and you need to reevaluate priorities. But, yes all this means that attacking doors of the enemy is only a good idea if you plan to board them (and they have blast doors).

Just my 2 cents.

It works both ways. You can target the enemy's door subsystem and make it harder for them to deal with the next attack. My effort here was to make the doors a worth while subsystem to attack (and by proxy defend/repair).
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Solarius

Postby Solarius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

The door sub-system should be just as important as any other system on the ship frankly for the fact that doors are essentially moveable walls. Now if you were looking at the sub-system from a practical point of view it would function to regulate if a door was open or closed, motion detection to allow easy movement threw doors, and sealing of the doors if an emergency situation occurs. A more advanced ship may have friend or foe detection as a backup in security, but that may be going a bit far.

So in a senario of the sub-system being deemed disabled the auto backup protocol would kick into place sealing all the doors for the possibility of multiple distasters aboard the vessel. This would be a basic countermeasure aboard any vessel that is surrounded by a vacuum or other substances that would be deemed hazardous to the crew. A current real situation of this is a submarine. Though the doors aren't necessarily automatic the same principles apply.

All that being said I feel that if the sub-system is disabled that all the doors should take atleast more time to get threw since the function of motion detection should be disabled and manual opening of the doors would be needed.

Just my 2 cents.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 am

I agree, I think the best way to do it would be to make it so if the door system is in the red the doors are shut and can not be opened until the system is fixed or a considerable amount of time has been spent trying to get through it. Of course you would need to get through a door at some point just incase you dont have someone in the room at the time.

If its in the yellow maybe you just have to click the door to open because the automated system is damaged.

Just my two pence.
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
vollaBacy

dhc-8 flight simulator philippines

Postby vollaBacy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Pro Flight Simulator
Over 120 Aircrafts To Fly
From 20,000 Real Airports

Click Here!