Favorite Weapon?

General discussion about the game.
Agg Shell

Re: Favorite Weapon?

Postby Agg Shell » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm

MY favorite is the (I think) The heavy crystal laser mk. II. It's like a breach missle launcher thing, but no missile reuirement, and no breaching/full shield pierce. Rare, but awesome.
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 am

I'm partial to the Hull Laser Mk2.

It's adequate (though not exceptional) for dropping shields.
It's adequate at disabling systems and excellent at keeping them down - many shots with decent chances of breach (or fire).
It's excellent at finishing off a crippled opponent before they can becoming a threat again.

and most importantly:

It usually allows killing the crew before destroying the ship, even without supporting boarders. Let the air out of oxygen, medbay and weapons and win by suffocation.
You can sometimes do the same with heavy lasers, but those require more holding back if you want to avoid destroying the ship (which translates into more damage taken by us).
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 am

Iranon wrote:I'm partial to the Hull Laser Mk2.

I agree. The Hull lasers in general are pretty good. They get the job done, not as well as their Burst counterparts in some situations, but well enough to get by and that hull breach can be fantastic. The basic Hull Laser is also quite good, essentially a BL1 with a little extra (including recharge time).

More than once, though, I was able to take out the crew of the final boss because I was able to breach his medbay with the trusty old Hull Laser.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Hmm, don't like the standard Hull Laser very much. What makes me rate the Hull Mk2 over even the Burst Mk2 is that it's a capable crew killer (that's still good in other roles).

The standard Hull Smasher Laser has a lower breach chance and never lights things up... unless the opposing ship is unusually tough (like the flagship) it doesn't allow us to easily snipe the crew instead of blowing up the ship. Even the Heavy Lasers have a higher ratio of crew-killing effects to hull damage.
void

Postby void » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 am

Except mentioned BL2, it's Breach Bomb II. Without it I can't beat the flagship .Maybe it can be substituted with Ion Bomb, but I like the first best.
Even better is Breach Bomb II and Boarding drone used the same time.
Kierany9

Postby Kierany9 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Artemis, Small Bomb, Burst Laser 2, Heavy Laser 2, Burst Laser 3, Fire Beam and Halberd beam. Let's tackle these in order.

The Artemis and Small Bomb are basic 1-power weapons that just...get the job done. They are the barebones missile/bomb, comsume very little power and reload faster than a lot of weapons. A great way to pick on an enemy system before finishing it off.

Burst 2 and Heavy 2 are here for the same reason: They're the jack of all trades for weapons. They fire a decent number of shots, have a decent recharge rate, deal decent damage and use a decent ammount of power. Got a BL2/HL2? Slap it on your ship and ta-da! These weapons can keep shields down for a short while and pack a punch if the shields aren't up. Like I said, jack of all trades.

The Burst Laser 3 is a personal favourite. It's the flipside of the Artemis/Small Bomb. It's a basic 4-power weapon that gets the job done. It works pretty well with most weapons and will completely wreck an unshielded ship. The only thing I hate is its very long reload and power consumption.

The Halberd beam is the jack of all trades beam. Nuff said.

The Fire beam is just for teh lulz. Use it with the Fire Bomb and you get a hilarous ship. BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN!
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 am

Ion bombs.
Best weapon in the game.

If you're lucky enough to pick up:
2xhalberd beam + 2x ion bomb + pre-igniter + 2xautoreloader.
You can kill the boss (every stage) in 2 volleys; ~30 seconds for the first stage(due to cloak), ~15 seconds for 2nd & 3rd stages.

Ridunculous. :lol:
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Wilburforce

Postby Wilburforce » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Perhaps you will enjoy a video I saw of someone who played the whole game through with his entire ship vented from start to finish. Quite a lot of medbay micro required for that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHfxwbETaM[/quote][/quote]

Just made my account here to thank you for that link. I watched it in one sitting. And yes. There were boarding drones.

Edit: Sorry I'm new here, and I was trying to message the user zeek by quoting him.
zeek

Postby zeek » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Wilburforce wrote:
zeek wrote:Perhaps you will enjoy a video I saw of someone who played the whole game through with his entire ship vented from start to finish. Quite a lot of medbay micro required for that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHfxwbETaM

Just made my account here to thank you for that link. I watched it in one sitting. And yes. There were boarding drones.

Edit: Sorry I'm new here, and I was trying to message the user zeek by quoting him.

No worries. I saw your post. Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't even watched the whole thing but I was really impressed that someone was able to pull that off.
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Favorite weapon generally has to be the Super Breach Bomb (Breach II). I like bomb weapons in general and Super Breach is the strongest there is, with 3 damage and a guaranteed breach for only 2 power.

Second place is the Branding Iron Beam (Fire Beam). I don't even need Rockmen boarders: just give me level 2 sensors and some Ion weapons and I'm golden. It's so fun to draw lines of fire on the enemy ship and just watch their crew squirm and scramble around.