The Osprey ... Is it just me ...

General discussion about the game.
antihippy

Re: The Osprey ... Is it just me ...

Postby antihippy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Looking at what I am doing now compared with what I was doing when I typed this I was already heading down the shields/engines route. Drones are a must I think because you just can't take the punishment from missiles. It's always around sector 5 that seems seem to go tits up for me. Not sure why.
Simca

Postby Simca » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am

I only played as the Osprey once - the first time I unlocked it. I beat the game straight out on my first playthrough with it and decided to not use it again because it felt pretty overpowered.

Defense Drones are absolutely mandatory due to the lack of cloak and the long recharge time on Artillery. I used them sparingly though of course to make sure to have at least 10+ for the final boss. Level 4 Artillery rips the Rebel Flagship in Sector 8 TO SHREDS. I literally had no weapons, I vendored them all to get ship upgrades. You don't need weapons on this ship. I just poured all my money straight into Shields and Engines and bought Defense Drones as I could find them (and then upgraded Drone Control as required). I did upgrade Artillery fairly quickly at first (to level 3) but waited until like Sector 5-6 to get the 4th level just because I was invulnerable at that point.

Everything I've seen in this game has a weakness: Defense Drones can stop Missiles and Ion pellets (well and lasers at Mark II), Super Shields and Automated Ships will screw over boarders, and high levels of Shields will kill Beam-based or Drone-based play.

However, nothing stops Artillery (it even will break Super Shields, seriously). It just wins.

Edit: Then again, I've never once won with the Kestrel that everybody seems to love, so /shrug.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 am

The third form of the flagship can't be beat by artillery alone. The supershields recharge faster than the beam can take them out. I was very disappointed when I found that it can recharge before it drops.
TomIveson

Postby TomIveson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Satonakaja's advice is excellent.

I think the Osprey is flexible enough that you can pretty much pick your own strategy. You don't necessarily need to build everything around the artillery beam - it's much more useful later in the game, as others have said.

If you're having trouble with missiles, drones are one solution, but not the only one. It may be more cost-effective to go for engine upgrades, especially if you can keep a skilled pilot and engine man throughout the game. Also, if you can get a bomb weapon, keep it, and use it sparingly - a well-placed bomb or two in the enemy weapons system can keep the missiles at bay for long enough for the artillery beam to do its work.

And yes, if you do go for boarding, BE VERY CAREFUL! The one drawback of the beam is that it's either on or off - if it's almost charged, it's very difficult to take the decision to depower it. I blew up at least four of my own guys on the last playthrough (helping me to set a record of 14 crew hired)...

Good luck!