Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
CEO

Re: Letter to the dev team

Postby CEO » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Justin wrote:Yo guys, one of the dev's here.

We were a good 3/4 done with the project when we asked for a bit of money to get us through to the end. Getting 2000% of our goal has a much different effect than if we were pitching a new idea that wasn't in production yet. It takes time to find (and enact) productive ways to spend the money on the game (contractors, better libraries, etc) as well additional time for press and business management. It's a split opinion amongst our backers on how the money would effect us: Some have expected massive delays so we could improve the game tenfold; while others (like DukeofClubs) feel that the money should guarantee a timely release. We've opted to do our best to pull off both at once. We're working seven days a week to get FTL to you both improved beyond our initial expectations, and as close to on time as possible.

That being said, we hope to get you the Beta within the next 2-3 weeks. There are still a few things which will take an uncertain amount of time, so we'd prefer not to just guess and give a date that could lead to further disappointment.

In the mean time, I will try and take part in discussions more. We were recently just hiding in our respective caves trying to work as fast as possible with few distractions. So, sorry if we were absent.

We'd like to thank all of you once again for your support. Tons of great ideas have been tossed around as well. Some of which are frankly incompatible with FTL but would still make an awesome game that I'd love to play. But overall, this forum has been remarkable in the civility of its users and the enthusiasm for FTL. :D

Good post/update Justin. I'm sure most of us are torn when it comes to updates/communication. On the one hand we are desperate to know how the project is going, what ideas worked and which flopped, what bug jumped out and bit you today, etc, and on the other every hour spent doing anything other than developing is another hour we wait to play the game...

Good luck balancing that ... :D
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 pm

tl;dr nerd rage

Breathe, guys. They're working. Thanks for the update Justin! 2-3 weeks is pretty sexy.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Soooo basically I have another 2-3 weeks to finish playing Diablo 3.

Great... :D
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 am

Omg 2-3 weeks then i have the only game ill ever need
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Wed May 23, 2012 1:39 am

CEO wrote:
Justin wrote: every hour spent doing anything other than developing is another hour we wait to play the game...

You got it! That's why I was so reluctant to do more videos and stuff. That's like a full day of non-development for me. :/
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Wed May 23, 2012 3:41 am

Time differences aside, would a livestream be feasible? I think I may have asked that before.
USAgent

Beta Release Discussion

Postby USAgent » Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm

We really appreciate that the community has been enthusiastic about FTL and we think everyone is entitled to their opinions, it seems though that this is becoming a heated discussion for some. Hence forth, any discussion about the beta release will be contained to a single thread. We are trying to avoid multiple threads and flame wars here, if you cannot be civil you will get one warning. Please treat each other with respect, we thank you for your continued patience - good things come to those who wait (and not much longer!)
Be excellent to each other.
Samson

Re: Beta Release Discussion

Postby Samson » Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I can wait an additional 2-3 weeks for the game. If the beta starts the beginning of June instead of May, I don't mind.

Also, someone want to nuke the bot post from "jamessmith13" that's two post above this one?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Thu May 24, 2012 2:33 am

Samson wrote:Also, someone want to nuke the bot post from "jamessmith13" that's two post above this one?

on it.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am

Justin wrote:
Samson wrote:Also, someone want to nuke the bot post from "jamessmith13" that's two post above this one?

on it.

NO! GO BACK TO MAKING GAMESTUFFS!

also live stream is cool, even if its just debugging something, heck i would watch you guys pour out code if i could....