Android Port

General discussion about the game.
dante2070

Re: Android Port

Postby dante2070 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 am

yes there should be ftl for android but think about it how will you right click to power down weapons and systems but besides that it should come out on android IT WOULD BE THE BEST GAME ON TABLET
laila19

Postby laila19 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 am

People who want to change the outer look of mobile and want their mobile phone look newer can use 4G Cases. These are available with graceful style and awesome look.
Samsung Galaxy Ace Q Skins
Last edited by laila19 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pallidiumzero

Postby pallidiumzero » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 am

This would indeed be awesome as an app for a tablet and a phone.. bit small for a phone, but I'd buy it.
TheJackalMan

Postby TheJackalMan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:03 pm

As a budding Android dev I fully support a port and if you don't mind a lack of experience that's made up for in dedication and determination, I'd like to help. The differentiation from left click and right click on a tablet could easily be replaced with one finger tap for left and two finger tap for right.
Przemo-c

Postby Przemo-c » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 am

wayward wrote: Rather, the problem here is that the game's graphical resources aren't scalable, everything is hand-drawn for 1280x720. Phones neither have that kind of resolution -- meaning that a complete new set of graphic resources need to be created in order to support different screen sizes

Ok maybe not all the phones but ... newer phones have such resokltions samsung galaxy s3 droid dna etc and that's just phones ....
I'd play FTL on my phone but probably most of the people would like to play the game on their tablets ant those have such resolutions more often.
As for scalability .... well it bothers me on my desktop where i have 2560x1600 and 1200x1920 but i like the "pixelated " graphics design of FTL it strikes balance between shiny graphics and overpixelated look. Still it doesn't look native on either of my monitors but it would run native resolution of my phone so this excuse is bogus.

wayward wrote:
-- neither will the touchscreen interface allow for the kind of precise micro-management one needs in the more intense encounters in space. Porting FTL to touchscreen devices is therefore much more of a design issue than anything else; game engine, events, probabilities, etc. can be ported easily, but those things are just the skeleton.

I have to disagree. pointer precision is not required in FTL the only exact pointing thing in ftl are beam weapons and selecting multiple personnel... that's all. Everything else lends itself to touchscreen ui. only right click actions would have to be resolved but we have multitouch long presses double taps whatever would FTL developers consider more comfortable.

wayward wrote:
The guys behind FTL are simply showing good business sense in not jumping headlong into developing for a whole new platform with a totally different set of input/output methods. They might do it if they decide it's going to be worth their time, but in essence that would mean developing at least 1/2 of the game from scratch, if not more.

If game mechanics are easily ported and as i showed graphics don't need to be redone and UI interaction requires only slight adjustments it's not really developing 1/2 of the game is it...

I know from experience porting something can be a real pain and it largely depends on availability of the same toolkit on another platform and even then there are a lot of issues but please don't throw bogus roadblocks.

Hope FTL dev team will decide that android port is worth pursuing. They've got my support !

ps. thanks for a great game to all who made this possible both dev team and kickstarter crowd otherwise i wouldn't be able to buy it an play for days ;]
Darkelve

Postby Darkelve » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 am

I would love an Android port, I'd like to be able to play it on my tablet (1280*800, samsung Galaxy Note 10.1).

I tried it using Splashtop, but somehow I cannot get all of the window to fit on my tablet screen; a portion keeps getting cut off.

There are solutions to get Python running on Android, e.g. http://kivy.org or other possibilities, but I do realize that it would be a lot of work porting the game.
tenoket

Postby tenoket » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 am

I can not agree more that this game would be fantastic on android. Certainly pay over 10 dollars for my copy and submit funding for workload.
freedomispopular

Postby freedomispopular » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Add me to the list of people who would gladly pay for and/or fund another Kickstarter for an Android port :mrgreen:
teeth_03

Postby teeth_03 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am

ugur

Postby ugur » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Old thread, but since i love FTL and it was fun to do i doodled on this last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpKfjYBg8E