French Translation / Traduction FR [WIP]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding.
Blue_Tree

French Translation / Traduction FR [WIP]

Postby Blue_Tree » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Hello,

I am actually planning a french translation of Into The Breach because it could be useful for the persons who don't unterstand well English.

I saw that the main font used (Numito Sans) is an open font so there are already all the accents (for example é, è, ...) and many of the text is stored in lua files unlike FTL where apart from the events and the descriptions, all was pictures.
However, some of the fonts don't have these specials symbols so I had to modify the base fonts to add them.

I already made some translations, as you can see :

Here is the fonts pack with the special symbols (Big thanks to the Team who translated FTL in French, many of the fonts are the same so I reused them) :
I still let you the download : https://mega.nz/#!IR42jRjZ!S822zZCtIuBK ... oWrEzmIpTU

To install the modified fonts you must download FTL UnPacker (link)

• Firstly you'll need to unpack the resource.dat (stored in Install Folder\resources) (MAKE A BACKUP !!!!)
  • Just put the modified fonts in the "fonts" folder of the unpacked resource.dat
  • Create an empty folder "audio" and repack the resources (The folder is because the util is intended to be used for FTL)
  • Overwrite the older resource.dat with the new you created and all is done

It still require a lot of work and some of part of the text are pictures so all help is useful.

ACTUAL STATE :
  • Tutorial translated
  • In progress : Tooltips

PS : The way I used to make the accents render correctly (the real é instead of é) is black magic for me and I want to understand how this works so if you know it, explain me !
Last edited by Blue_Tree on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Remylenain

Re: French Translation / Traduction FR [WIP]

Postby Remylenain » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Good job man ! And thanks for some of us who prefer play it in French :)

I'd have liked to help but I really don't have the time right now.

For "the real é instead of é ", i think it's the encoding of your file (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codage_de ... t%C3%A8res or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding).

If you use a software like notepad++, you can encode to UTF8 or ANSI for example, depends on what the file is encoded in the first place.

Thanks again !
Mess with the bests, die like the rest
Scarlite

Postby Scarlite » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Hello! It's pretty cool to see that someone's already translating the game in other languages :)

If you need help, I'm here!
Blue_Tree

Postby Blue_Tree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm

I sent you both mails for more informations about the translation if you're still okay to help me
Fixx1983

Postby Fixx1983 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Blue_Tree, I'm trying to translate the game into italian, but all of the special characters for my language, àèéìòù and his capital versions are showing messed up. Can you please help me?
Blue_Tree

Postby Blue_Tree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Fixx1983 wrote:Hi Blue_Tree, I'm trying to translate the game into italian, but all of the special characters for my language, àèéìòù and his capital versions are showing messed up. Can you please help me?

The fonts of the game are intended to display only english, so there aren't all the accents like à, è, ...
I had to manually create them. You can download the pack fonts with already à, é, è, Î and ù created by me (I didn't created the capital versions for all the fonts because I won't use them).
If some characters are still missing (for example ì) you can create them by yourself : you'll have to download FontForge and open the font. Look some tutorials for creating symbols, ...
To "install" them, use the method I explained on my first post
Fixx1983

Postby Fixx1983 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Blue_Tree wrote:
Fixx1983 wrote:Hi Blue_Tree, I'm trying to translate the game into italian, but all of the special characters for my language, àèéìòù and his capital versions are showing messed up. Can you please help me?

The fonts of the game are intended to display only english, so there aren't all the accents like à, è, ...
I had to manually create them. You can download the pack fonts with already à, é, è, Î and ù created by me (I didn't created the capital versions for all the fonts because I won't use them).
If some characters are still missing (for example ì) you can create them by yourself : you'll have to download FontForge and open the font. Look some tutorials for creating symbols, ...

Already done, it was only an encoding issue. Files should be saved as ANSI.

Anyway some parts are not in the scripts folder neither in the images folder, but hardcodend into the exe
Blue_Tree

Postby Blue_Tree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Fixx1983 wrote:
Blue_Tree wrote:

Already done, it was only an encoding issue. Files should be saved as ANSI.

Anyway some parts are not in the scripts folder neither in the images folder, but hardcodend into the exe

For example ? Actually, I didn't see any text I can't change
BrainFooLong

Postby BrainFooLong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am

He Blue_Tree!

I've created also a tool for others to translate this game easily.
Maybe you can "merge" your work into my project, as it provide very easy mechanism to contribute translations.

Here's the thread
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32849

This project contains already a fr.po file to start translating things.
Blue_Tree

Postby Blue_Tree » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:33 pm

BrainFooLong wrote:He Blue_Tree!

I've created also a tool for others to translate this game easily.
Maybe you can "merge" your work into my project, as it provide very easy mechanism to contribute translations.

Here's the thread
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32849

This project contains already a fr.po file to start translating things.

I already saw the posts but I changed some locations and sizes in images.lua to make the french text fit in all the box so it will be pretty complicated to merge the project