Won't start on Steam Deck - exits after "Loading" screen

Discuss problems and suggestions related to the Into the Breach here.
alextfish

Won't start on Steam Deck - exits after "Loading" screen

Postby alextfish » Thu May 04, 2023 7:02 am

Hi there! I'm a huge fan of FTL and Into the Breach on desktop. I recently got myself a Steam Deck and was eager to try ITB on that. ITB installs fine on the Steam Deck, but it consistently crashes after the "Loading..." dots fill up. I click Play; the ITB Loading screen appears and fills up; then I'm back to the Steam page with the Play button. Things I've tried:

* Uninstalling and reinstalling ITB
* Applying system updates to the Deck and restarting it
* Telling the Deck to use different versions of Proton (I get a different error message in that case, some kind of segv or DLL incompatibility)
* Telling the Deck to use WINED3D

None of these help. What's particularly baffling is that over at https://www.protondb.com/app/590380 plenty of other people say they've played ITB on Steam Deck fine with no problems. So it's clearly something specific to my setup, except that I've not done anything unusual to my setup...

I'm not holding out much hope, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.