Black screen after monitor change. (solved)

Discuss problems and suggestions related to the Into the Breach here.
flertallsformer

Black screen after monitor change. (solved)

Postby flertallsformer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi guys.

My good monitor stopped working, and I had to downgrade from 1920x1200 to 1920×1080. :oops:

After this change I get a black screen with a (largish) white square when launching the game. (two thirds high, two thirds wide, in upper left corner) The menu music starts playing, and I can hear UI elements when moving the mouse or pressing keys. alt-f4 works as expected. The screen stays unchanged after the initial flash to black from launch until I quit the game.

I tried searching the forums for a similar problem, but I did not find anything. I have looked for .ini files with relevant settings in the steam folder (I was unable to find anything in appdata), and also tried reinstalling the game, but I still get the black screen when launching the game. On the day the monitor died I may have tried to launch the game on my secondary reading monitor that has a resolution of 1050x1680 (portrait), but I am not 100% on this.

Is there a way to reset graphics settings or force it to run windowed? :)
Last edited by flertallsformer on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
isla

Re: Black screen after monitor change.

Postby isla » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 pm

The last time I saw something like this come up, the solution actually had to do with the graphics driver. Could you please check the dates/version on your drivers? I can help you do this is you shoot me a dxdiag report at contact@subsetgames.com
flertallsformer

Postby flertallsformer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you for a quick reply :)

Updated the drivers, but still got the same problem. I sent you a dxdiag from before and one after the update.

Was able to force it into windowed mode through nvidia experience, but the window was transparent. (only the window border visible, desktop visible through window).

I might have been a little hasty, a reboot made everything fine. (thinking about it I may have not done a reboot for a couple weeks)

I am so sorry for the inconvenience. It turns out ten years of asking people to reboot does not make me do it myself. :oops:
isla

Postby isla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Oh geeze, haha. I'm glad to hear the solution was that simple, though!