Skip initial turn without prompt (autoskip)

Discuss problems and suggestions related to the Into the Breach here.
Minmork

Skip initial turn without prompt (autoskip)

Postby Minmork » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 am

I keep suffering what I think is a self inflicted problem combined with a UI bug.

After placing mechs in any battle, once the monsters make their first move, I am hitting space bar to try and skip through everything and just get to the positioning of the first turn. What happens instead is that it forfeits my turn, having made no movements or attacks, and without getting the "Are you sure you want to end turn" prompt that normally comes up when you accidentally press Space too soon.

So the end result is at the very beginning of the fight I can lose 1-2 buildings and a mech, and there is no real recovery from this.

I've lost 3 timelines already over this, because it is too punishing to make a non-move like this by accident.
5thHorseman

Re: Skip initial turn without prompt (autoskip)

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 am

3 things:

1. What does spacebar do mid-turn? I see no difference in the speed of the AI's actions.
2. No matter how many times I hit space, I always get the prompt. Are you sure you didn't at some point click "don't show me again"?
3. You can speed up the enemy turn in the options. I have mine cranked up to the max and find anything less than that ridiculously slow.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Minmork

Postby Minmork » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 am

Pressing "End turn" as soon as you get the "Player Turn X" banner across the screen seems to end your turn whether or not you have enabled the popup warning about ending turns early.

Part of this issue is my fault, I believe, since I'm pressing end turn out of habit to try and clear the screen. However I just tried again on a new save and managed to forfeit every turn even with the popup warning enabled.

That's clearly not working as intended.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 am

It took a couple tries but yes, I was able to recreate this. It only works with spacebar for me, I can't get it to happen when the "end turn" button is on the screen.

I ask again, though, does hitting space speed up combat for you? I don't notice any difference at all, so question why the need to spam space in the first place.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Minmork

Postby Minmork » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:55 am

As much as I admire your willingness to discard the problem and make it entirely my fault, I'd like to point out I made the effort of making a bug report so that the issue could be fixed. This is more for others, than for me. Given that for the first few tries I didn't know WHY it was happening, I was a hairsbreadth away from refunding the game, because it was literally gamebreaking.

My solution was that I simply UNBOUND turn skip, and press the button manually with my mouse.

It sucks, but it works.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 pm

I apologize. I was not trying to make it your fault. I was asking if it actually helped as I didn't see it speeding anything up. I also was pointing out - if it didn't help - that you could play the game right now without waiting for a fix and without any detriment by changing your input strategy.

I 100% agree it should be fixed.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

isla

Postby isla » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm putting this entire thread in our suggestions list. Thank you both. :)