FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
SnoWidget

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby SnoWidget » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Currently I don't have a problem with how ships are unlocked, besides the crystal ship that is, it's way too luck factored while all the others are just a matter of finding a homeworld.
i6am6stu6

Postby i6am6stu6 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Please give us an update.... I check every day and you've given me nothing... I'm going to give up forever.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 am

i6am6stu6 wrote:Please give us an update.... I check every day and you've given me nothing... I'm going to give up forever.

As I mentioned on the previous page, they're probably busy testing and bug-fixing. Not that an "official" statement would go amiss, but I'd much prefer Matt & Justin devote their time to making sure AE is the best release it can be, and with the amount of new content they're adding, there's any number of things that can go awry.

Just browse the Mod Development forum for a few, you'll see all kinds of fun little bugs, typos, and missed tags that can be anywhere from inconvenient to game-crashingly disastrous - and that's just with the light XML stuff we can edit. You can imagine how tricky things can be when you start digging into the actual code of the game.

Would it be good if Matt or Justin made an update post to let everyone know the progress? Sure, I won't disagree with that. But until they do, have faith and a bit more patience, because if there's one thing I can say with absolute certainty, it's that the Advanced Edition is well worth waiting for. 8-)
Dentorhedge

Postby Dentorhedge » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm

This sounds too easy to me. It might be better that one has to beat the game with that ship and complete all the ship achievements. Also, if ships will still have descriptions, it might be better to let a person choose what ship they unlock after beating the game and collecting the achievements, then you don't have to worry about the unlock map's aesthetics.

Please, somebody with power on these forums, give me input. It is so hard to talk to a developer when they are so popular..., and it is spoiling to be with small scale indie developers who can count their active fans on their hands.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 pm

I think this is boring and a common game mechanic, turning unlocking ships into a grind.

The more difficult method design-wise would be to make the quests for unlocking the ships more accessible.....if you know what to look for.

Basically, the 'quest' system is good in principle, but it was too random and therefore 'difficult'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAkP5VjIv8

Keep the old system, it adds excitement, who knows what you might unlock! ....just give more clues, more 'possible opportunities' per-sector.

Use your game design skills, not a boring '1-2-3-4-etc unlock.
n_slash_a

Postby n_slash_a » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 pm

I like the current method of unlocking ships, if it was a little less RNG based. For example, put what the worlds are. I'm not sure how many times I have played (easily 20) and have hit the rock homeworlds maybe twice.

Another suggestion is to limit unlocking the ships to beating the game with the previous ship AND unlocking all 3 ship achievements with the previous ship AND unlocking the previous ship through the ship unlock quest.

I don't mind grinding, just don't like hopeless grinding.
Vallyen

Postby Vallyen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

I never had any problems unlocking a ship. Everybody says that the crystal ship is so hard to unlock because of the randomness, and that it took i dont know how many hours, but either i was extremely lucky, or just knew what i was doing, but when i decided that the only thing im going for is to unlock it, it took me about one and a half hours with the rock ship. The most annoying one for me was the mantis ship, because i had to get enough resources AND find a shop that sells a teleporter, and of course find the mantis homeworlds. Overall, i think it would be a nice addition to be able to unlock ships by simply beating the game (though i have never beaten it with anything other than the engi ship). but i dont think its really that necessary.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

I am very happy about the announcement that FTL: AE will be released soon!
Thank you so much for this awesome game and for the free update! It shows, that you devs are really dedicated to your game. Keep up the great work! :)
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 pm

My comments:

I love getting ships in FTL because it's so hard and it means so much when you finally run into success, but I find it bad that it's based on luck (and a bit of skill, of course) to get the ship that fits you. I'm not sure what this new unlock method could be, but I think it should still be pretty hard, just not as based on luck.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 pm

We all know how ships are unlocked. Nothing new was announced.
Why did you bump a year-old topic?