Best custom ship building mods?

General discussion about the game.
mewein

Best custom ship building mods?

Postby mewein » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Hey all, long-time FTL player here and I’ve got a question for the modders of the community: what’s the best means of building a custom ship? Preferably without replacing an existing class of ship. One of my favorite sci-fi ships was the SDF-1 from Macross/Robotech and while I’ve seen a lot of cool custom ships, I haven’t seen anyone do this one. I feel like it would be a good fit for the game considering the parallels between the overwhelmingly huge zentraedi fleet pursuing the space fortress and the rebel fleet pursuing the kestrel. It’d probably need the artillery system from the Federation cruiser, and maybe drone control to start with (to simulate the fighter complement/point defense barrier). What would be the best way to make this happen?
Side question: is anyone good at emulating the art style of FTL? I’d love to have someone draw a top down view of the ship to aesthetically blend with the game but I could try using this picture as a top-down if nothing else.

Last side question: if I do use that image would I have to figure out a way to chop it into ruined sections for when the ship gets destroyed?

Thanks for any and all help!