[Suggestion] Seperate the "End Turn" button and the "Undo Move" button

General discussion about the game.
takisback

[Suggestion] Seperate the "End Turn" button and the "Undo Move" button

Postby takisback » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 am

I use undo move a ton. I move around just to visualize my attacks, etc, then undo. Usually this is due to me realizing I just need to move another unit first. On numerous occasions I have accidentally clicked the "End Turn" button in lieu of the "Undo Move" button and in almost every scenario it kills my run.

I know there are keyboard shortcuts for just about everything, and others might just say "slow down!" but if you if there isn't an "are you sure" message when more than half your units have not made a single action, then the two buttons should be clearly separate, in visual cues and location. And no, text alone should not be a visual cue. I am a low vision user (I love this game full screen, good job for the most part!) and unless I clearly move my vision up to the top left corner of my screen its hard to tell what I am scrolled over.
5thHorseman

Re: [Suggestion] Seperate the "End Turn" button and the "Undo Move" button

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 am

takisback wrote:there isn't an "are you sure" message when more than half your units have not made a single action

There is one. You dismissed it with "Never ask me again."

You can re-enable it in the settings.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
takisback

Postby takisback » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 pm

I think you just pointed out the problem. See, I never even realized that. Alert fatigue is a serious issue with software in general. This game involves plenty of turns where you won't use all your movements. If you always have to click "are you sure?" then who wouldn't dismiss the message for good? I think if anything this reinforces the idea the buttons need to be separated.
DGM

Postby DGM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 pm

takisback wrote:If you always have to click "are you sure?" then who wouldn't dismiss the message for good?

Normally I would agree, but in this case there just aren't that many turns in a battle. It doesn't come up enough to bother me so I leave it on.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 am

takisback wrote:If you always have to click "are you sure?" then who wouldn't dismiss the message for good?

Me. 360 hours (really) and never even considered it.

The problem is, either they let you dismiss it and never prompt you again (like you said you wanted) or they don't, and people complain that there's no option to dismiss the alert forever. And if they pick some arbitrary "amount of turn taken" then there's always going to be someone complaining that they see the alert too much, and someone else complaining that they relied on the message coming up and it didn't one time because they did a little bit more than normal.

I don't really see a better way to do it than a catch-all. It's reliable and allows people to state exactly what they want, and doesn't try to be clever.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."