FTL Lore Series

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
160plays
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 am

FTL Lore Series

Postby 160plays » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 am

People are always asking about the lore of FTL, so we trawled EXTENSIVELY, and uncovered a lot of hidden narrative and secrets of the FTL universe. This series is going to dedicate an episode to each race or faction of FTL, covering everything from the basics of how they live, to specific characters and their moral allegiances.

Check out the first video, The Federation And The Rebels, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss64j5hDiGo

Also, we try and keep it lighthearted.

See you there!
Flat 160
BadgersCanSpace
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 am

Re: FTL Lore Series

Postby BadgersCanSpace » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 am

160plays wrote:People are always asking about the lore of FTL, so we trawled EXTENSIVELY, and uncovered a lot of hidden narrative and secrets of the FTL universe. This series is going to dedicate an episode to each race or faction of FTL, covering everything from the basics of how they live, to specific characters and their moral allegiances.

Check out the first video, The Federation And The Rebels, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss64j5hDiGo

Also, we try and keep it lighthearted.

See you there!
Flat 160


Bloody hellfire. That just blew my mind a little bit. But I have to say, I agree - I'm not entirely sure we're fighting for the right side here.

A couple of criticisms are levelled at the Rebels, which I don't think add up.

Firstly, they are called xenophobes. We very rarely - or never - see aliens among their crew. This doesn't make them xenophobic - it could be interpreted quite differently. What if they were using solely human crews in order to prevent (innocent?) alien blood being spilled in what they viewed was a human conflict? We are only told they are xenophobic - we see little to no evidence of this. I mean, most alien races seem almost more friendly to them than to the Federation, as you pointed out.

When the enemy are faceless, as they are in FTL, it is very easy to project an appearance of evil onto them. They say that truth is the first casualty of war - I think that we are being fed propaganda by a crumbling empire.

Another criticism of them is their use of unmanned ships, but I don't understand why this is a bad thing. Surely, these ships are saving lives by not being crewed? Saving manpower that can be used elsewhere? Easily mass-manufactured, mass-controlled and mass-deployed?

Finally, I refuse to believe that this tearaway band of rejects and renegades could have become so powerful without having at least a valid cause for war. One of the most common reasons cited for how they are so large now is many people defecting out of fear - but it would not have started like that. They would have needed funds, personnel, ships, ammunition, food, gifted leaders, resources... the fact that they obviously have all these things shows how much support they've garnered, and this means that people have to agree with them. For this many people to be this dissatisfied, the Federation has to be doing things wrong.

So yes, I'm defecting. You may have beaten the rebels once, twice... ten times... but we will always have beaten you more.

And we're polite about it, too.

Image
160plays
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 am

Re: FTL Lore Series

Postby 160plays » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:41 am

Glad to see my rebel propaganda rubbed off on you! From now on we should agree to only fly the Red-Tail.

There are a lot of things we're covering in this lore series, don't know if you spotted the Engi one, but that's there too, and the Zoltan one should be going up tomorrow. Lot more lore and speculation coming your way!
BadgersCanSpace
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 am

Re: FTL Lore Series

Postby BadgersCanSpace » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:44 am

160plays wrote:Glad to see my rebel propaganda rubbed off on you! From now on we should agree to only fly the Red-Tail.

There are a lot of things we're covering in this lore series, don't know if you spotted the Engi one, but that's there too, and the Zoltan one should be going up tomorrow. Lot more lore and speculation coming your way!


Well, you've gained a subscriber here.

Interestingly enough, the Red-tail remains the only ship I've beaten normal on. Hm.
ImplacableTardigrade
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Re: FTL Lore Series

Postby ImplacableTardigrade » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Has anyone run into the event where a rebel teleports onto your ship, offers to join your crew, and, (If you deny him once) tells you the location of a scrap, becoming increasingly desperate? I mention this as you have the option to inform him rebels cannot be forgiven and execute him on the spot Your crew doesn't seem to have any problem with it either, and your not court martialed for this obvious atrocity upon victory. Ain't the Fed' nice.

Additionally, according to the wiki, when you run out of fuel you have the chance of this event:
A Rebel ship hails you, "Hello citizen. We are responding to your distress call and can assist... Wait a second... You're that ship! Prepare to die!!!

Note that he calls you Citizen (Possibly a reference to the brief deposition of the class system after the French Revolution .), offers to assist, and then only upon realizing you are the ship that has torn through his comrades does s/he attack. I would presume (As I have personally never run across this event) that it is played even if you are an alien.

Theres also the event where, upon attacking you, the 'Rebel' says something about not letting a single ship get in the way of a "Better Galaxy"

And a question: Do we know what the Rebels call themselves? Rebel is almost certainly a name given to them by the Federation.
User avatar
Stormbringer
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am
Location: The Eagle
Contact:

Re: FTL Lore Series

Postby Stormbringer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 am

ImplacableTardigrade wrote:Has anyone run into the event where a rebel teleports onto your ship, offers to join your crew, and, (If you deny him once) tells you the location of a scrap, becoming increasingly desperate? I mention this as you have the option to inform him rebels cannot be forgiven and execute him on the spot Your crew doesn't seem to have any problem with it either, and your not court martialed for this obvious atrocity upon victory. Ain't the Fed' nice.

Additionally, according to the wiki, when you run out of fuel you have the chance of this event:
A Rebel ship hails you, "Hello citizen. We are responding to your distress call and can assist... Wait a second... You're that ship! Prepare to die!!!

Note that he calls you Citizen (Possibly a reference to the brief deposition of the class system after the French Revolution .), offers to assist, and then only upon realizing you are the ship that has torn through his comrades does s/he attack. I would presume (As I have personally never run across this event) that it is played even if you are an alien.

Theres also the event where, upon attacking you, the 'Rebel' says something about not letting a single ship get in the way of a "Better Galaxy"

And a question: Do we know what the Rebels call themselves? Rebel is almost certainly a name given to them by the Federation.



wow I'm late to this party.

and yes they do.
"
"I don't know about you, but no-one defies the Rebel fleet!"
Image
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests