[REQ] Accurate Weapons + Ship-Reliant Sectors + Ship Control

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
OblivionCreator

[REQ] Accurate Weapons + Ship-Reliant Sectors + Ship Control

Postby OblivionCreator » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 pm

There has been many times I have got to a ship with upgraded engines so their dodge is higher, I can launch like a Burst Laser MK II and a Duel laser at an enemy's shield and about half the shots will miss, Not even doing damage. I have died many times before because of the fact that some enemy's dodge is ridiculous.

So my request is simple: To be able to buy 'Weapon Accuracy' in your ship upgrades or buy 'More Accurate Weapons' As an augumentation.

My second suggestion is ship-reliant sectors. Seeing other posts suggests this may be hardcoded, but worth a try.
I want to be able to play as the Mantis Ship and have Mantis as an ally. The bonus of having Mantis as a ally will be: Not as much mantis battles

And having rock as an ally for less rock battles etc...

My third suggestion is if your ship gets destroyed and atleast one of your crew is in an enemy ship, if your crew kills all in enemy ship there will be a chance of taking over that ship.

Pros: Being able to take over ships to avoid game-over
Play as all the ships in the game (dis-including Flagship + any automated ship)
Cons: Ship will be stuck at that ship's default Max HP.
Chance of ship crashing into asteroid (dialogue) and game over.
godzilla200000

Re: [REQ] Accurate Weapons + Ship-Reliant Sectors + Ship Con

Postby godzilla200000 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:48 pm

i bet you could find a way for the first 2 but not the last one even know how much we want it
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 am

OblivionCreator wrote:There has been many times I have got to a ship with upgraded engines so their dodge is higher, I can launch like a Burst Laser MK II and a Duel laser at an enemy's shield and about half the shots will miss, Not even doing damage. I have died many times before because of the fact that some enemy's dodge is ridiculous.

So my request is simple: To be able to buy 'Weapon Accuracy' in your ship upgrades or buy 'More Accurate Weapons' As an augumentation.

My second suggestion is ship-reliant sectors. Seeing other posts suggests this may be hardcoded, but worth a try.
I want to be able to play as the Mantis Ship and have Mantis as an ally. The bonus of having Mantis as a ally will be: Not as much mantis battles

And having rock as an ally for less rock battles etc...

My third suggestion is if your ship gets destroyed and atleast one of your crew is in an enemy ship, if your crew kills all in enemy ship there will be a chance of taking over that ship.

Pros: Being able to take over ships to avoid game-over
Play as all the ships in the game (dis-including Flagship + any automated ship)
Cons: Ship will be stuck at that ship's default Max HP.
Chance of ship crashing into asteroid (dialogue) and game over.

None of this is currently possible as far as I can determine (If I understand what you mean by 'ship reliant sectors' and having an 'ally' [like another ship]).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 am

Whale Cancer wrote:None of this is currently possible as far as I can determine (If I understand what you mean by 'ship reliant sectors' and having an 'ally' [like another ship]).

I could very well be wrong, but I think he means that they would be racial allies instead of the Zoltan or the Engi (as in a green sector instead of a red sector on the map, which is where the "ship reliant sectors" thing comes in: your allied racial sectors change cased on the race of the ship you're in), and wouldn't attack you as often. Not sure if that's what you were thinking, but it might make things a bit less impossible.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
BottleGnomes

Postby BottleGnomes » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 am

What he's asking for the second one, I believe, is if he can make it so hostile/combative events occur less often in a homeworld/controlled sector of the race whose ship you are piloting.
I,for one, would like have the chance of not fighting an enemy in an asteroid node. I have lost many an early game ship from an unlucky choice and an unlucky asteroid strike to my shields combined with enemy attacks. Just knowing that there is a chance of diplomacy would be nice.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:18 am

I think you could modify a number of the events in Mantis sectors, say, to key off some factor and have a chance of giving you the option to avoid the fight. You could key off just having at least one Mantis crew, or have a race-specific augment that you get indicating you're allied with that race (e.g. Mantis Pheromones indicates you've got an alliance with the Mantis), and have blue options that let you choose.

There are a couple of encounters in the game already that work a bit like this: the nebula encounter with Rocks where they call you repugnant has a blue option if you have a Rock, but there could be a lot more.

Accuracy I'm afraid isn't really something we modders can do anything about. We can't design custom augments that have any gameplay effect, only Macguffin ones that some events look for.

Ship control I would have said was impossible, but Vhati's and shark's recent findings make me not so sure any more.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
OblivionCreator

Postby OblivionCreator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Okay. Thanks for the info. Any way to add a blue option to fights against a race you have in your crew
Klarth

Postby Klarth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 am

The first two could probably be done with blue text options in the events.

For more accurate weapons (or rather, weaker enemy engines) create a dummy augment and then have every combat event check for that augment and lower enemy engines if you have it. Call it a Hacking Module if you wish. This is already done for the rockman entrails mantis ship, where you can ram them if you have Rock Plating and halve their engines.

Ditto for ship reliant sectors: all sector-specific events would be looking for the starting racial augments (engi medi-bot dispersal, rock plating, mantis pheromones, slug repair gel, zoltan shields) and give you helpful alternatives where appropriate. Might get weird since you can get the engi and rock augments through regular play.
shark

Postby shark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:29 pm

So can we 'look' for player ships instead of racial abilities?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.