Shark Wars

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

Re: Shark Wars

Postby Whale Cancer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 am

boa13 wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:(will this be the forums first non-spam related ban?).

This would actually be the third, if I'm not mistaken. But let's not get to that.

I've ghettoized myself in the mods forum since the devs graciously made these subforums, so I've missed the previous 'excitement.'
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
shark

Postby shark » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:23 pm

For fucks sake, nobody else complained but you. Fine, I'll comment it out. Geez.

In any case, i tried making new crew. short to say that adding new crewBlueprints and new people/robot_player_*.png assets didn't cut it - i couldn't make them starting people and my class was resolved as human. meh. i wanna make robots playable crew. If for nothing else than cost/cosmetic purposes.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
shark

Postby shark » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Currently thinking about the new Zoltan ship with 6 guns and no permitabble drones.

As well as Fire drone, Breach Drone, Missile Drone II.
Fire drone starts fires, breach drone breaches, missile drone II spams 1 damage rockets.

Drones need something good going on for them now that there's Squads too.
Altho I'd really like a new system - launch bay - that would be a manned version of the drone one. Have no clue how to put that in without source code though.

I'm picturing a "MIssile II x2, breach, fire" as an interesting drone build I wanna try out and showcase. The no weapons, 6-medbay, 4-teleporter crystal B already shines; the new mantis A ain't bad either and is slightly less boarding-oriented.

I really hope the new ship sprite fits in, I can't get any decent images online and I already scrapped three fully asseted/scripted ships; so from now I'll see if it fits visually before coding floorplans and gimp'ing gibs and shit. What a waste of time...

anyone got some interesting ships lying around doing nothing? I saw a battlecruiser from a SC TC mod, but it's not the one that made it in the current release - can I get a look at the older one? or is that project scrapped and another one by the same name arose?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:01 pm

shark wrote:Anyone got some interesting ships lying around doing nothing? I saw a battlecruiser from a SC TC mod, but it's not the one that made it in the current release - can I get a look at the older one? or is that project scrapped and another one by the same name arose?

You might find this somewhat useful.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75
As far as I know, the prototypes haven't seen use anywhere else (though if you look in the game assets, the prototype Rebel Fighter's shield image is still in there).
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 pm

shark wrote:I saw a battlecruiser from a SC TC mod, but it's not the one that made it in the current release - can I get a look at the older one? or is that project scrapped and another one by the same name arose?
Yeah, I'm afraid the Battlecruiser image in Tuesday's version of the thread isn't one I could find anywhere, and when I PMed him to ask him for it, he didn't get back to me. My Starcraft mod is basically completely independent of Tuesday's one that never made it out of prototype; the two share only inspiration and ideas (and not that much of those), no assets, sadly.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
shark

Postby shark » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm

FUuuuuuuu..... that battlecruiser was what i wanted :) I wanted to see what happens when i give it two artillery rooms... :)

in any case, a new release broke off the main branch today - artillery patches. patches ships to be able to field artillery, makes artillery buyable and (unfortunatelly) brings some other ship changes with it (altho i guess i could just keep it to new artilerry rooms)

Its due to the fact that every ship needs to have artillery designated to a room and I can't just append that one line like in a usual patch - instead I have to append the whole entry and overwrite the previous one - that means you can't just stick my arillery patch on top of some other change that affected the ship - so I might as well package my slight improvements along with it.

in other news, i hope this gets moved to mod development as it's taken a devblog kinda role.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 pm

shark wrote:For fucks sake, nobody else complained but you. Fine, I'll comment it out. Geez.

I might allow the cruiser (unedited) in compilations when I'm certain I will no longer develop the idea further - for now, I'd rather people get the mod from me or my thread directly, with the knowledge that it's the version I intended to release.

As it stands, I did pull down the latest version and wish to thank you for removing most of my content. There's a few stray entries* I'd suggest erasing for the sake of cleanliness (to avoid potential conflicts), but I'm not gonna raise a fuss over it.
Thought this was pretty classy, by the way. :roll: I lol'd.
Blueprints.xml.append wrote:

Code: Select all

<!-- 
   engi, layout B - obsidian cruiser
removed by request of: whiny little bitches
 -->

There is one point I didn't touch on earlier, but you're right in that I shouldn't have "polluted" the circle_cruiser_2 files. The Obsidian was built very early on, and at the time I wasn't aware of how to change filenames. Thank you for reminding me to update that.

If you find the Rebel prototypes useful, I might be willing to adapt them for player-ships, at least as far as graphical updates and gibs are concerned (room layouts and the associated floor I leave to your discretion).

*The "OBSIDIAN_WEAPONS" list in "autoBlueprints.xml".append and the "Sound.xml.append" whose only contents are the sound files for the Singularity Projector - which are also still present in audio/waves/explosions. But since the weapons are commented out in Blueprints, it's not a big deal.
Last edited by Kieve on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

shark wrote:in other news, i hope this gets moved to mod development as it's taken a devblog kinda role.

Done.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
PlanetR

Postby PlanetR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 am

is there no longer a way to download this mod? I don't see the link in your post
PlanetR

Postby PlanetR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

I think your links are gone, was this your doing shark?