FTL Remastered Pickup Project

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Krazyguy75

FTL Remastered Pickup Project

Postby Krazyguy75 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:53 am

Hey people. It's been almost a decade since I last visited these forums, but I was recently getting back into FTL and I remembered some of the mods I saw way back in the day. One such mod was FTL Remastered by Phlakes; an amazing pixel artist. I was sad to see it was still as unfinished and dead as when I left way back then. But the part that made me most sad was that so many of the pieces of the mod were somewhat unusable, because Phlakes only did some parts of them. So, using my (wholly and vastly inferior to Phlakes') skills as a novice pixel artist, I decided to pickup the project and get some pieces in more working order.

For the original mod thread, see here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17230

That said, this isn't really a mod yet. I haven't got an FTL file for you or anything. I probably won't until I have done some more things. But what I do have is the rebel flagship's cloak, stage 2, and stage 3, all based on Phlakes' original Stage 1 remaster. A link to the gallery is here: https://imgur.com/a/g4OsvKt

I'm, as I said, not great at pixel art, but I tried my best to imitate aspects of the original style, work on the shading, etc. I did however constrain myself to the original ship palette, which made things more difficult. Future plans include the gibs for the Kestrel, recolors for the Kestrel (including one that will be a bit closer to the original color scheme), AE weapons, and maybe even finishing off the Crystal Cruiser if I think my art skills have gotten to that level. I'd gladly accept criticism, praise, critiques, etc. If you want to package this into a mod file, feel free.

Again, all credit for the base ship design to Phlakes for their incredible artwork.

I did also have some questions for the more experienced modders on this forum regarding gibs: I changed some of the lighting to reflect the shape of the gibs more when they were originally shadowed; will that have an issue when the ship animation happens? Should I constrain myself to the original ship shadows even if the pieces of the gibs would no longer have the shadows attached? Also, I noticed the original gibs used the laser gun model, regardless of which weapon the flagship had in that slot. I ended up removing the guns from the gibs because Phlake's laser didn't have the same shape and I was worried it wouldn't turn out correctly when the other weapons are put on top of it, which is what I assume they do. Will that be an issue either?
Krazyguy75

Re: FTL Remastered Pickup Project

Postby Krazyguy75 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:08 am

Last time, I did the gibs for the Flagship. But there were many flaws with my gibbing, and thus I bring you the corrected version: https://imgur.com/a/g4OsvKt

Now, not only did I update that, but I also did the gibs for Kestrel A in a new color scheme, as the original remastered was a little too chrome and ended up looking more like a Lanius color scheme than the Kestrel's off white: https://imgur.com/a/eeoWWxT

But wait, there's more! I have a few sneak peeks on other WIPs I have in progress: https://imgur.com/a/LNPCpU3

That's Kestrel B and Crystal Cruiser A. Kestrel B is entirely done, but I have to update some of the gibs. Crystal Cruiser A still needs more work, however, as it needs another reflection pass.

This still isn't a functional mod; I'm waiting to get things in a more final state before packing it up, but I figured I'd give a glimpse of what I'm working on. I will pack it up once I finish Kestrel B.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:44 am

Very nice!
SaintOtis12

Postby SaintOtis12 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:11 am

That is all the helpful information I needed. I appreciate you sharing.
Minesweeper