Subspace: my idea for FTL modding

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
rous

Subspace: my idea for FTL modding

Postby rous » Sat May 07, 2022 6:19 am

Hello everyone, I've been thinking about ways to do more interesting modding for FTL, and I've prototyped an idea that seems promising. I'm not really up to date on the current state of modding, so I'm not sure if this has been already accomplished. Sorry for the upcoming textwall, you can skip most of it.
Disclaimer: Everything here is probably never going to work, and is merely a product of my lunatic ramblings. Also, it's not really in a mature (or clean) enough state for me to share any code or executables. Finally, much of this wasn't thought through, so I'd be happy to hear if you find some obvious easier way to do something, a problem I missed, etc.

My project, which I'm calling Subspace (as a play off Hyperspace, though I bet the name's probably already taken) uses a patch tool to allow for programs, directly written in C++ and automatically patched in, to run alongside FTL, which I understand is also how Hyperspace works. This description is... more than a little technical, so feel free to skip to TL;DR at the end. That being said, I'll try to explain what I got working, so when I inevitably disappear off the face of this forum with this knowledge it'll be somewhere.

The core of this project is a program called e9patch, which is a "powerful static binary rewriter". It's not ostensibly an amazing fit for this task, and was probably intended for more mundane instrumentation. However:
  • When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. I haven't looked at any other patch tools.
  • It can scale well enough to reliably work on binaries the size of FTL, and should be able to work in more general cases.
  • I didn't want to learn how to parse ELF files to write my own program for this, and e9patch handles a lot of things for me.
  • It's not too slow or memory intensive to really matter.
  • It's a really cool piece of software and I think it deserves to be more well known.
e9patch, along with its frontend e9tool, allows one to write code in C or C++ and then introduce hooks that call a function defined in that code whenever specific instructions are executed in some binary; you can specify those instructions as, say, the first instruction in a function with a particular name. To make this project actually practical, I'm using the Linux release, which (for some reason) has debug symbols in the binary - I only have experience on Linux anyway. I have no idea whether this would be easier, harder or impossible on Windows. A few problems arise immediately:
  • How can my code work with classes from the original binary if we don't have the source?
  • How can my code work with methods and functions from the original binary, similarly?
  • How can my code interface with the standard library?

The first point is solved by making a new header file (call it "ftl.h") with all the classes in the game binary; since there are debug symbols, we can get this information with e.g. pahole. This is obviously a lot of work, but for testing can be done partially, with a few classes at a time. In order to be able to pass our "clone" classes into methods in the original binary, they must be byte-by-byte binary identical to the original ones; this is, surprisingly, not a major issue. It just tends to work. Particularly, members of C++ classes are always located in memory in the same order they are declared, and g++ being used for both FTL's compilation (you can actually see that in the binary) and my compilation makes other rules like padding usually work.

The second point is a bit trickier. Obviously, the methods we want are located somewhere in the FTL binary, and we can even find out where (debug symbols!) - almost. ASLR causes there to be a random offset to all of these functions' addresses. No problem - we can install a hook somewhere known (like main), examine the stack to find the address we're looking for and use that as a base offset. As for actually calling these functions, we need it to be that when we call a method of one of our clone classes, it actually runs code from the original binary (we could also make clone method implementations, but that would be a lot of work and reverse engineering) - without being able to do anything cool like link against it. I solved this problem by having each method be a trampoline that computes the address of the function by adding an offset to the base offset from the ASLR hook and jumps there directly. Since it doesn't clobber any registers except %rax, it passes through the arguments unaffected. gcc's extended asm was MVP here.

The third point is where it really gets hairy. First off, none of this standard library stuff is officially supported by e9patch as of now (in particular, it doesn't like relocations, whatever those are), so it's anyone's guess when something is going to give because of that, but as far as I'm concerned it hasn't yet with anything I've done. We can try including a standard library header like <string> and tweaking some compiler flags until it works, but we run into an issue; FTL's old string implementation is brutally incompatible with modern GCC string implementations - for example, sizeof(string) is 8 in FTL and 32 in a modern program compiled with G++ 9. The solution is unsatisfying: just use G++ 4.8.4, which is what was used to compile FTL. We lose a lot of modern G++ features or conveniences (and probably optimizations) by using an 8 year old compiler, but it guarantees maximum compatibility. We also have to statically link libstdc++ with our patch binary (if it tries to put important functions in the PLT, that PLT won't be there when the code is running inside of FTL). It seemed determined to leave a couple functions (memcpy, memmove, strlen, operator new, operator delete, among others) in the PLT, so I added trampolines like above to call the actual versions inside FTL.

Finally, this can all be automated with ease. A python script that I quickly wrote up reads in a config file and a C++ source file for your mod, compiles it, links it and patches it in. The config files, roughly speaking, contain two things: a list of new methods that you declare for classes in FTL and what classes they are part of, and what hooks in your code you want to call for what functions in the base game. The script can also handle some symbol mangling issues.

Here's an idea of what you might be able to do with this. Let's say you want to add an '!' to all crew names as they're added, for some inscrutable reason. Then just declare this function

Code: Select all

void CrewMemberFactory::hook(CrewBlueprint *crew, int room, bool intruder) { // the function signature of CrewMemberFactory::CreateCrewmember
   crew->crewNameLong.data.push_back('!'); // a function from the standard library
}

and then set up your config file to hook this into CrewMemberFactory::CreateCrewmember, and voila! Not only could this work, it actually does work - just like that, no extra code on the modder's part. The tricky bit is actually figuring out those method names and class names, which will ultimately come down to good documentation on how FTL works internally, something that I would imagine the Hyperspace team already has some information on?

TL;DR

Subspace does the following - at least in theory:
  • Lets you write code in C++, almost as if you had the FTL source code with you.
  • Lets you use that code as an FTL mod.
  • Possibly could let you perform relatively complex modding tasks without extensive low-level knowledge
What's the catch?
  • Most of these things have only barely been demonstrated, and the project is overall extremely immature. Also, it would need huge header files to be created. I'm not sure if anyone would want to put the time into that, especially if projects like Hyperspace have already done the same thing.
  • It only runs on Linux, and will do so for the foreseeable future because of these three reasons: (1) debug symbols (2) e9patch has shaky Windows support (3) I know very little about Windows calling conventions and executable formats, etc..
  • There might be glaring flaws that are yet to be discovered.
  • It's possible that it could become an unstable mess, and crash too often to be practical.
Would you use Subspace if it was actually finished, or at least progressed further? Is this just what Hyperspace has done but less fleshed out? Have I missed an obvious pitfall that will come back to bite me later? Do you want to condemn my reckless decisions to throw stability by the wayside? I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.
Mr. Doom

Re: Subspace: my idea for FTL modding

Postby Mr. Doom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:47 pm

TL;DR:
https://github.com/FTL-Hyperspace/FTL-Hyperspace
Come help us, sounds like you've got a level of C/Assembly knowledge similar to me and you could definitely do a lot with Hyperspace
Join the https://discord.gg/hhs5ecx FTL Multiverse discord and come bug me or talk in the #hyperspace-development

This is exactly what hyperspace does internally.

And we do have calling convention nonsense already resolved for both Windows & Linux & technically MacOS (Since that's the same as Linux 64-bit).

As for the hook things to let other people write mods, we've chosen to do that with Lua in an upcoming (1.2.0) version of Hyperspace, it's already in our develop branch and while we haven't exposed everything to lua, the basics of the framework for exposing & hooking are there.
In fact we explicitly disable loading Lua C libraries because that would be os-specific and more dangerous.

rous wrote:[*]I didn't want to learn how to parse ELF files to write my own program for this, and e9patch handles a lot of things for me.

Yeah I didn't want to learn ELF either... Hyperspace doesn't patch the binary, although that approach could be used too, instead it patches the running memory after the game's executable has loaded... the only ELF part we have to deal with is reading the ELF headers to know where the sections start but we don't have to deal with any of the complex nonsense to repack an ELF and keep it valid.

rous wrote:I'm using the Linux release, which (for some reason) has debug symbols in the binary - I only have experience on Linux anyway. I have no idea whether this would be easier, harder or impossible on Windows.

If you're curious:
MacOS has debug symbols but no DWARF information
Linux 1.6.13 & 1.6.12 have debug symbols & DWARF information but not 1.6.9
Windows 1.6.9 Steam/GoG/Epic/Everyone else has debug symbols & DWARF information
GoG Windows 1.6.13b, 1.6.13, 1.6.12, all have debug symbols & DWARF information (unsure of their steam equivalents as we can't pull old binaries anymore on steam)

rous wrote:The first point is solved by making a new header file (call it "ftl.h") with all the classes in the game binary

See: FTLGameELF64.h and some other files we have, technically this is the assembled one there's some more basic ones we build from in their respective folders in `libzhlgen/test/functions/` but there are some struct differences between the OSes/versions.

rous wrote:This is obviously a lot of work

Yup, we've got a majority of it.

rous wrote:they must be byte-by-byte binary identical to the original ones; this is, surprisingly, not a major issue. It just tends to work. Particularly, members of C++ classes are always located in memory in the same order they are declared, and g++ being used for both FTL's compilation (you can actually see that in the binary) and my compilation makes other rules like padding usually work.

rous wrote:for example, sizeof(string) is 8 in FTL and 32 in a modern program compiled with G++ 9. The solution is unsatisfying: just use G++ 4.8.4, which is what was used to compile FTL. We lose a lot of modern G++ features or conveniences (and probably optimizations) by using an 8 year old compiler, but it guarantees maximum compatibility.

We actually get around this on Hyperspace by building using GCC 4.8.4's libstdc++ using an install of GCC 4.8.4/4.8.5 and using LLVM-Clang to actually do the build using the libraries from GCC 4.8.4 so we can still have a modern compiler that has some key important features to us.
Our windows build was previously done with GCC 6+ (despite 1.6.9 WIndows using GCC 5 it was fine) but now is done using modern GCC (I think 9.x something) + LLVM-Clang 10 because of what was learned from the Linux side, but the windows build can be run even with the latest GCC alone, but Clang's optimizations are better.

rous wrote:We can try including a standard library header like <string> and tweaking some compiler flags until it works, but we run into an issue; FTL's old string implementation is brutally incompatible with modern GCC string implementations

Code: Select all

_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0

rous wrote:ASLR causes there to be a random offset to all of these functions' addresses.

Actually there's no randomization, well... everything is still relative to the binary, you do end up loaded at a random address but if you LD_PRELOAD your SO with the binary you end up in its same address space, so you read the start of the ELF header and everything is an offset from that, sorta, it's a little different between 32 and 64 bit because of RIP relative addressing but hooks actually end up at the exact same relative address every single time for a given binary being loaded.

rous wrote:I solved this problem by having each method be a trampoline that computes the address of the function by adding an offset to the base offset from the ASLR hook and jumps there directly. Since it doesn't clobber any registers except %rax, it passes through the arguments unaffected. gcc's extended asm was MVP here.

Yep, we also managed to use very little assembly in it, unfortunately couldn't use GCC's inline assembly for rewriting bytes live in the system but we eliminated most of the inline assembly for our hooks by instead having the calling style match, there is a little bit I tweaked/added to Mologie detours in detours.h because their 64-bit support was borked. There is actually a way I came across that could do a jump without clobbering RAX, although I didn't bother because clobbering RAX doesn't matter but there is some freaky stuff you can do by jumping to the instruction pointer RIP and having that instruction actually be the address to jump to (so you can jump without any registers or stack by abusing the instruction pointer and just having your address directly after the jump).

rous wrote:(in particular, it doesn't like relocations, whatever those are)

Yeah we implement a crude form of relocations where we have to deal with rewriting JMP's MOV's etc... that use relative addressing when we copy & move their code.

rous wrote:We also have to statically link libstdc++ with our patch binary (if it tries to put important functions in the PLT, that PLT won't be there when the code is running inside of FTL). It seemed determined to leave a couple functions (memcpy, memmove, strlen, operator new, operator delete, among others) in the PLT, so I added trampolines like above to call the actual versions inside FTL.

We... umm... well in WIndows everything is statically linked for some reason... but our Linux build 100% uses libstdc++ as a dynamic library.
It's backwards compatible but not forwards compatible, so as long as we build with the old headers from GCC 4.8.4/4.8.5 we're good for a more modern libstdc++ to be binary compatible with it, it makes sense after enough scratching your head and thinking about it but it bothered me too at first and I thought that was going to be a serious issue when I ported Hyperspace to Linux but it turns out it didn't matter at all.

rous wrote:Finally, this can all be automated with ease. A python script that I quickly wrote up reads in a config file and a C++ source file for your mod, compiles it, links it and patches it in. The config files, roughly speaking, contain two things: a list of new methods that you declare for classes in FTL and what classes they are part of, and what hooks in your code you want to call for what functions in the base game. The script can also handle some symbol mangling issues.

ZHL does this with parsefuncs.lua & the ZHL signature files that have signatures & structs, basically the exact same concept :smile:

rous wrote:The tricky bit is actually figuring out those method names and class names, which will ultimately come down to good documentation on how FTL works internally, something that I would imagine the Hyperspace team already has some information on?

This is the main pain, I'm slowly slogging through some stuff as I document the Hyperspace Lua API but frankly this knowledge of what does what is all broken apart between us and it really does need to get documented better.