Question: Is dynamic content generation possible?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ShadowMitia

Question: Is dynamic content generation possible?

Postby ShadowMitia » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been meaning to create a mod, and I've started looking the many great ressources around here, but something confuses me.
It seems that all the content is done through files, which are then loaded into the game. My understanding is that all the files need to be "finished" before being used up by the game.

Is it possible to create a mod that can create content dynamically using the tools shown here?

My idea is the following, have a mod that makes all the crewmembers take names from a dynamic list of names, generated from (for example, and my current target) a list of twitch viewers.
The idea is that for each crewmember, it can get any random name from viewers, and those names would typically only be known AFTER the game starts.

Altenatively is it viable to reload game data while the game runs?

Any advice or tip would be appreciated!

Thanks!
ScottishPingu

Re: Question: Is dynamic content generation possible?

Postby ScottishPingu » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 pm

I don't know of any existing ways to do what you're asking. Someone with programming experience may be able to help you but I think what you're looking for would be a custom built tool.
Newish to modding, can't draw but can re-colour.

Mods so far:
Ursa Prototype
Ursa Overflow
Dual Boarders
Tactical Espionage
ShadowMitia

Re: Question: Is dynamic content generation possible?

Postby ShadowMitia » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks for the reply!
That's what I figured.... I have programming expereince, just no in mods. And I don't think I'm ready to dive that deep into mods to make this, yet.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any tips they'll be most welcome :D

I'll come back here if I make any progress.