[Question]Is there a way to implement new sounds?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
AtillaBosma

[Question]Is there a way to implement new sounds?

Postby AtillaBosma » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm

I wondered if there is a way to implement new sounds at specific events...

I mean, it would be rather great to be able to create new sounds for new weapons, or add user-made voiceacting to the game.
Icehawk78

Re: [Question]Is there a way to implement new sounds?

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm

It would appear that you could add custom sounds to custom weapons, though I've done a grand total of no testing whatsoever to verify this. I don't see any events that create a sound, so I wouldn't expect you to be able to do that.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Dunno about the voice-acting bit (and I can't really see it fitting the game well, imho), but yes weapon sounds are absolutely possible. The Obsidian Cruiser's singularity projector uses custom sounds and I think there are a couple of other mods that do as well.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:26 am

Kieve wrote:Dunno about the voice-acting bit (and I can't really see it fitting the game well, imho), but yes weapon sounds are absolutely possible. The Obsidian Cruiser's singularity projector uses custom sounds and I think there are a couple of other mods that do as well.

I've also got a custom sound for my autocannons.

As for voice acting, I don't think events can trigger sounds? Can they? I could see a few uses for that (not for voice acting, however; would seem strange in such a lo-fi game).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
HalfDemon23

Postby HalfDemon23 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm having some difficulty adding a custom beam sound to my modded ship;

So I have the ship/data/blueprints with;
<launchSounds>
<sound>beam_razor</sound>
</launchSounds>

And the sound file in ship/audio/waves/weapons/ bp_beam_razor.ogg + bp_beam_razor_loop.ogg in the same folder

Any and all help would be most welcome, thank you for reading :)

EDIT: Don't know if a new thread was necessary so just made a post here as its related to custom ship sounds, thats okay, right?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Those launch sounds tags:
<launchSounds>
<sound>beam_razor</sound>
</launchSounds>

They refer to a tag in the sounds.xml file. There you must create a new entry called exactly as you named it in the tag above. It will have information on volume and the filename of the sound to be played.

Here is an example of how i used it:

blueprints.xml:

Code: Select all

<launchSounds>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon1</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon2</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon3</sound>
   </launchSounds>

sounds.xml

Code: Select all

<!-- Weapon Fire -->
<FRSS_meson_cannon1 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon1>
<FRSS_meson_cannon2 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon2>
<FRSS_meson_cannon3 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon3>

<!-- Weapon Hit -->
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull1 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull1>
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull2 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull2>
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull3 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull3>

<FRSS_meson_cannonShield1 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield1>
<FRSS_meson_cannonShield2 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield2>
<FRSS_meson_cannonShield3 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield3>

<!-- Weapon Miss -->
<FRSS_meson_cannonmiss volume="10">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_miss.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonmiss>

Coincidentally, you can use waves as well as oggs.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
HalfDemon23

Postby HalfDemon23 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I just did what you told me and it works perfectly, thank you ever so much, I was scratching my head as to what I did wrong and you solved my problem in two seconds with a ridiculously swift reply.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 am

Glad to help. :)

BTW, those two references were innacurate. Those are blueprints.xml.append and sounds.xml.append files. The code is the same though.

Happy modding.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
forsaken67

Postby forsaken67 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:11 am

I seem to be having difficulty myself with getting custom sounds to work. I have followed all of these steps and i have used the Captains Edition Mod for a reference point for adding sounds yet i still have no weapon sounds in game. I have even checked to make sure that i have the labels correct in the blueprints,audio files, and sounds.I have searched through every bit of the Captains Edition Mod to see if there was any other files i was missing and I cant seem to figure it out. However when i put my sounds into Captains Edition and modify their sounds.xml.append file to add in my sounds then they work, but i would like to have them in my custom ship file. If anyone has any idea what is going on then any help would be greatly appreciated!
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:53 pm

forsaken67 wrote:I seem to be having difficulty myself with getting custom sounds to work. I have followed all of these steps and i have used the Captains Edition Mod for a reference point for adding sounds yet i still have no weapon sounds in game. I have even checked to make sure that i have the labels correct in the blueprints,audio files, and sounds.I have searched through every bit of the Captains Edition Mod to see if there was any other files i was missing and I cant seem to figure it out. However when i put my sounds into Captains Edition and modify their sounds.xml.append file to add in my sounds then they work, but i would like to have them in my custom ship file. If anyone has any idea what is going on then any help would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure the sounds are in .wav format.