Sarl Cagan's Creatures

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sarl Cagan

Sarl Cagan's Creatures

Postby Sarl Cagan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Good Day, fellow Captains!

I present to you: my current work.
So far this includes 5 new Aliens.

I have been working on this with the Hyperspace Framework since about 2 weeks now, and two of these races are already playable.
Namely the Brains and the Shrooms have a full set of animations. I still need to figure some details out, for example how custom sounds work,
but in general I did not encounter many problems so far.

Here are some pictures and descriptions of my planned species:
(if you have any critique, ideas or similar, feel free to let me know!)

https://i.redd.it/1k5blzvwjm341.png

Shrooms. The shrooms are a quite common species in the Federation. They consist of a big mushroom cap with a big single eye and many small appendages below. They are not really special.

Squids. Squids are somewhat common. They can squeeze through closed doors and are good at repairworks, but they are very susceptible to the cold vacuum as well as fire.

Brains. The brains are a frequent sight through the Federation as well as many other parts of space. No one really know how long the brains have been roaming space or what their origin is, so everyone just calls them Brains. They can not fight back in melee, but they move quite fast (they hover) and they are skilled telepaths.

Sharkmen. I am not so sure on this one. It's a Cyborgshark and I freaking love the idea. However It might be cooler if this will be a special hero kind of character recruitable through an event chain. We will see. Stats wise the Sharkman is really good at Melee and doesnt really have any downsides yet.

Worm. It's a worm and I drew it. There's literally nothing else about this guy yet.
Zoura3025

Re: Sarl Cagan's Creatures

Postby Zoura3025 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 pm

As someone who's interested in coding a potential race, I'd like to know how you mod custom powers. If you have time, would you mind explaining how you coded stuff like squeezing through doors? (I will concede I haven't tried your mod yet, but I wanted to make this comment before I forgot :D )
Engi-nious

Re: Sarl Cagan's Creatures

Postby Engi-nious » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 am

Zoura3025 wrote:As someone who's interested in coding a potential race, I'd like to know how you mod custom powers. If you have time, would you mind explaining how you coded stuff like squeezing through doors? (I will concede I haven't tried your mod yet, but I wanted to make this comment before I forgot :D )
You need FTL: Hyperspace, for starters.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35095

At the moment, you can't code custom powers (maybe one day) - but there does happen to be an unused variable in the games code to phase through doors, which can accomplish what you're looking for.
Most of the details are in the hyperspace readme and in the example hyperspace file itself. If you've got any questions you can probably ask them in that topic, although I'd be happy to answer what I can. As a general rule, other than the variables already there you can achieve some fancy effects by giving negative values to certain things. ;)
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.