Orchids - new race

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Woona

Orchids - new race

Postby Woona » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:23 pm

REQUIRES HYPERSPACE 0.2+ by TheSwiftTiger

Download Hyperspace here

KNOWN ISSUES

1. Hyperspace does not support custom augmentations based on Advanced Edition augmentations, so Orchid Replicator does not conserve missiles.
2. Orchids do not provide oxygen to rooms if the ship they're on does not have an oxygen system (for example, when boarding airless Lanius ships).

Mod contains a playable race, a playable ship (3 types) with custom equipment, a themed sector type with new events and new enemy ships. Everything in the mod is added to the game without replacing anything.

Orchids are floral lifeforms who evolved to be able to move, fight in close combat, and travel through space in ships made of giant seeds. Their name was given by humans for resembling Earth plants, but they have little in common.

Fragile and vulnerable, especially to fire, Orchids would not be able to survive in space without cunning and manipulation. Being able to produce oxygen, Orchids are seen as viable allies, and often form symbiotic relationships with other races. Even though Orchids seem harmless at first glance, they hide lethal weapons behind innocent facade and are as deadly in close combat as other species.

Orchids are unable of articulate speech, so they have to resort to communicating using chemical signals. With relatively short lifespans, Orchids quickly evolved to affect specific races using different aromas, especially weak-minded races, like humans, or Mantis. On larger distances, Orchids communicate using written language that they borrowed from other aliens.

Orchid abilities:
* Provide oxygen to rooms they are in
* Take 4x damage from fire
* Put out fires at half speed

DOWNLOAD LINK

Download Orchids 1.1

MY OTHER MODS

Vicious Vessels
Inconvenient Incidents
Viable Weapons
Affordable Augmentations

SCREENSHOTS

ALL SHIPS

VERSION HISTORY

Code: Select all

Version 1 - 7 Nov 2019 - Initial release
Version 1.1 - 20 Jan 2020 - New enemy ship by Laythe, remade Type B player ship

CREDITS

TheSwiftTiger & Winderps - Hyperspace and making possible to add new races, abilities and playable ships

Laythe - Orchid Destroyer enemy sprite

Snorlaxxo & kix - Type B and C recolors

kix - Type B and C miniships

bamalf - help with events

Markus, AgentTheKat, KBa3u, and others - feedback, ideas, and help in general
Last edited by Woona on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
maymoToTheBone

Re: Orchids - new race

Postby maymoToTheBone » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 am

I have played a couple runs with this mod, and I love it! The design and theme are really interesting and fit the base game pretty well. The events are really cool also, especially the one in the botanical museum(or whatever it's called).

I have been having a couple issues, though I'm not sure if they are bugs in the mod or I have Hyperspace installed wrong or something. The Orchids haven't been producing oxygen as far as I can tell, and the orchid recycler hasn't had an effect. Other features of Hyperspace(the command console, new menu, etc) have been working, so it might be a bug. If someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong, that would be much appreciated.

Overall, I'm glad we finally have a race mod, and that its quality is so high!
Woona

Postby Woona » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm

maymoToTheBone wrote:I have played a couple runs with this mod, and I love it! The design and theme are really interesting and fit the base game pretty well. The events are really cool also, especially the one in the botanical museum(or whatever it's called).

I have been having a couple issues, though I'm not sure if they are bugs in the mod or I have Hyperspace installed wrong or something. The Orchids haven't been producing oxygen as far as I can tell, and the orchid recycler hasn't had an effect. Other features of Hyperspace(the command console, new menu, etc) have been working, so it might be a bug. If someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong, that would be much appreciated.

Overall, I'm glad we finally have a race mod, and that its quality is so high!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. I have already known about issues you described, so I posted the mod in "Mod Development" section. I should have probably made a section "known bugs" or something like that but didn't do that for some reason. Sorry for that. You have everything installed correctly. I can't really fix those issues myself right now, they are the result of me not understanding what is or is not possible to do with hyperspace.

To sum up, I posted the mod knowing it's not really playable in current state without disclosing that. Sorry.

What I can fix is if anyone finds typos, missing texts, low quality sprites, or events crashing the game.

Another reason I posted this is to give everyone the possibility to use the sprites for whatever purpose they want to. To share the mod with everyone, instead of just people who I chat with on discord.
maymoToTheBone

Postby maymoToTheBone » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I forgot it's in the development forum. It's still perfectly playable, I just run out of missiles quickly lol
Engi-nious

Postby Engi-nious » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 am

Hyperspace just got an update that should allow for an Oxygen Change Multiplier - with it + a small fix or two you can probably get the oxygen gimmick working now (although it sounds like it's still a touch buggy).
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.
Woona

Postby Woona » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Engi-nious wrote:Hyperspace just got an update that should allow for an Oxygen Change Multiplier - with it + a small fix or two you can probably get the oxygen gimmick working now (although it sounds like it's still a touch buggy).

If you check the mod files, it actually uses oxygenChangeSpeed tag so as long as the ship the Orchid is on has oxygen system, they will provide oxygen to the room they're in. The upgraded version of explosive replicator still doesn't work.