Question: Renaming Systems possible?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ItzmeFlez

Question: Renaming Systems possible?

Postby ItzmeFlez » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am

Hi everyone.
I'm fairly new to creating mods in FTL and haven't found a solution to my little problem, so maybe someone here has an answer.
I wan't to rename the stealth system for one of the ships I've made and also change the icon. It should still function the same as stealth, just with a different name. Is this possible to achive somehow?
mr_easy_money

Re: Question: Renaming Systems possible?

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:10 pm

ItzmeFlez wrote:I wan't to rename the stealth system for one of the ships I've made and also change the icon.

You can't change the system name and icon for just one ship -- they will be changed everywhere. The icon is seen on both player and enemy ships, but the name can possibly be restricted to player ships if you want.

I mean, if this is meant as part of a ship mod, I think it's okay if the name of the system is changed for all player ships, since you only intend people to play your ship mod. If they don't unpatch the mod and then play with some regular ship, any effects of your mod are their fault.

---

You'll find the icon stuff for cloaking in img/icons, everything starting with s_cloaking

As for changing the name of the cloaking system,

if the mod is intended only for vanilla then you can just change system_cloaking_title and system_cloaking_desc, found in text_blueprints.xml

as other mods may not use the new "id" system introduced in FTL 1.6, a better approach (in my opinion) would be to do the following in your blueprints.xml.append file:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="systemBlueprint" name="cloaking">
   <mod-overwrite:title>Your Title</mod-overwrite:title>
   <mod-overwrite:desc>Your description goes here.</mod-overwrite:desc>
</mod:findName>

Then you should also change places where the cloaking system is referenced by name.

The following texts are related to the player's ship,

in text_misc.xml:
  • hotkey_activate_cloak
  • hotkey_cloaking
  • hotkey_un_cloaking
  • cloak
  • hack_cloaking_player
  • cloaking (when upgraded through events; idk if this is seen in vanilla)
  • cloaking_installed (when installed through an event; not seen in vanilla)
  • cloak_button
in text_tooltips.xml: tooltip_cloaking
--
The following texts are related to enemy ships,

in text_misc.xml: hack_cloaking
in text_tooltips.xml: tooltip_cloaking_enemy
ItzmeFlez

Re: Question: Renaming Systems possible?

Postby ItzmeFlez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for the answer, that helped a lot :D