FTL Fonts modification

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ievgen

FTL Fonts modification

Postby ievgen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:28 am

Hi folks!
I am working on FTL localization (into the Breach will be next)
Now the huge problem are fonts... I have to modify .font files somehow, though I have no idea how to do that.
Please show me the way...
mr_easy_money

Re: FTL Fonts modification

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 am

ievgen wrote:Now the huge problem are fonts... I have to modify .font files somehow, though I have no idea how to do that.
Please show me the way...

Someone from the Russian modding community created font manipulation tools for this new .font file format since .ttf is not properly supported yet, https://github.com/D-side/ftl_font.
ievgen

Postby ievgen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Is there any limit of the characters number in .font file? I need to add 66 characters, and it doesnt work(
D-side

Postby D-side » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 pm

ievgen wrote:Is there any limit of the characters number in .font file? I need to add 66 characters, and it doesnt work(

Not that I know of. We had to add Russian alphabet. which is 33 characters, lowercase and uppercase. Same 66 chars total. Worked fine.

Character table size is expressed as a 2-byte number, so the actual constraint is 65 thousand characters (or 32 thousand, if that number is signed, I don't know whether it is). Still a lot.

I need to hack together some basic error reporting when I have time, to ease troubleshooting. But in the meantime... Anything more specific than "doesn't work"?
ievgen

Postby ievgen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Sorry for late answer. Everything is OK now. Just mistakes in file structure... :oops:
4n4

Postby 4n4 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Yep, that's plenty for even japanese, with all three of their crazy rune sets.