[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
robochibi

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby robochibi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 pm

So far, has anyone got a ship working 100% in the game? IF you did, how did you do it?

I want to know how much is specific to my system...
Kerch

Postby Kerch » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm

I've pretty much given up trying to create a ship from scratch. Either the image doesn't appear in the ship menu and when I click on it it crashes, or when I try to test it out using a ship layout similar in size, it just breaks and explodes even in the menus. There really needs to be a better guide for creating from scratch. :(
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Kerch wrote:I've pretty much given up trying to create a ship from scratch. Either the image doesn't appear in the ship menu and when I click on it it crashes, or when I try to test it out using a ship layout similar in size, it just breaks and explodes even in the menus. There really needs to be a better guide for creating from scratch. :(

This might be due to it not exporting the ship.xml file at the moment, have you tried stealing one of these from another ship and renaming it to match your .txt file name? :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:52 pm

How do you actually get a ship into the game? Please reply :)
Foopy

Postby Foopy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi there, cool editor :) I do have an issue though... Once I open it, the ONLY way I can close it again is to kill the entire process tree through the task manager... End Program simply restarts it (same, ofc, with the close button)
I_Modz_Codz

Postby I_Modz_Codz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Sorry for the noob question but... how do we put the ships we made into the game? I exported the .txt .xml and .ftl but what do I do with them? :?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:35 pm

You have a few different options on how to export your ship.
The simplest option, is to export a .ftl file.
This can be loaded using Grognak's Mod Manager, and there shouldn't be any extra work required

Alternatively, you can export the invidual files used by ftl. You'll probably want to do this if you're making a more complex ship that needs extra work that this tool can't do yet, or want to make manual edits

To use the individual files, you'll want to put them into your data.dat files and resource.dat files manaually. (Or manually create a .ftl file with these - It's just a zip file!)

However, do NOT distribute the data.dat and resource.dat files. To distribute your ship, you'll only need to send out either the individual files, or, the preferred option is just to use the .ftl, it's less work for everyone :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Broncbuster

Postby Broncbuster » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for this. I had some time to play with it last night and this morning, couple things.

I have problems closing the application, windows 7 and vista. I hit the x and the window keeps poping up a new window.

Second non-comfirmed issue (will test more):
I have altered the Engy A Ship. I dump it to a FTL File or replace the XML for the ship in and repack the .dat and it seems I miss a room between the weapon system and the upper part of the ship. I'm going to retry and recreate all of it before I ask you to look at it.

Also, question: I haven't tried but when I try to change the ship to be a 4 person teleporter (engy A, switching the Drone and TP spots) I can't seem to get it to place in the middle of the 4 squares. Does it matter? Or will it show correctly once playing? I haven't tested.
Mikel_S

Postby Mikel_S » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 am

I'm having some trouble. I followed the instructions, and downloaded the files. but then it bugs out, fills out the option boxes, and it all looks good. I go to "make from scratch" and it just says that its an invalid directory (it just filled out the directory as wherever I downloaded/moved the program to.

Next, I have to close all windows twice to make them stay closed. And I absolutely can not close the program without ctrl-alt-del ing it, otherwise it just keeps popping back up.

Scratch all that, it seems to be working.
kingluke2222

Postby kingluke2222 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:49 am

Very nice Ship editor, best one (and only one) I've seen so far. After playing with it a little, I noticed that when you click the drop down bar for an enemy ship, its blank. Not sure if that's a bug or if you just hadn't gotten to them quite yet. Also wanted to know how I would put my own ( and make if you know how) "exterior" of the ship so to say. Like changing the color of the Kestrel cruiser or something.