[MOD][WIP]Faster Than Hard Light

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
blaeron

[MOD][WIP]Faster Than Hard Light

Postby blaeron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Faster Than Hard Light is a total conversion, aimed at bringing the FreeSpace 2 universe into the FTL engine.

I currently don't have much to show for Faster Than Hard Light(okay sorry), but I do have a few pretty pictures and a general outline.

Thrust glows were since then fixed.
The TerSlash was too.

Anyway, here's what FTHL will include if I ever release this:

Most smaller enemy ships become corvettes or frigates, with ships that approach the size of a playable ship being Destroyers. Playable ships also become different types of destroyers, with one exception, the Arpyia Frigate. Drones becomes a fighterbay. Also, Rockmen become Vasudans, Mantis become Shivans, sekkrit race becomes Ancients, and the Rebels also become the Shivans.

Faster Than Hard Light(I have to stop this) is a pun on Hard Light Productions, by the way.

Oh yes, a demo, a demo! Not much, and most of the stuff is horribly unbalanced, broken, or not implemented(Only a single new ship, GTD Orion, and only a few weapons were added, and the new beams that pierce all shields are horribly unbalanced), but it is at least slightly functional. The Orion even has gibs and proper weapon placement!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34728628/FTHL.ftl
Insert something witty and humorous here.
Whale Cancer

Re: [MOD][WIP]Faster Than Hard Light

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 pm

The kestrel and the federation cruiser have those thrusters hard-coded into them. You should put your ship(s) in another slot.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
blaeron

Postby blaeron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

I actually fixed that by changing the thrust glows to just plain transparency with no thrust at all.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Makes sense! Nice work-around, I might nick that.

Edit: It just looks really funny in that picture in the hanger!
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Ellenhard

Postby Ellenhard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Please finish this mod, can't wait to see the actual end result!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 am

Give me a playable GTCv Deimos and I will love you forever. :o
blaeron

Postby blaeron » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Kieve wrote:Give me a playable GTCv Deimos and I will love you forever. :o

Making it playable wouldn't really fit in with the size of the playable ships with it being a corvette and all, but I will guarantee that you will get the chance to blow up a Deimos soon.

Oh yes, three new development screenshots! I've figured out how to work rooms now, so hopefully this won't take... too long.

Misty

Postby Misty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 am

If you finish this you'll be my hero and I'll love you forever too. Or almost forever.

FTL's focus on destroying systems and subsystems will fit pretty well with the Freespace universe. Will you try to rebalance the game to reproduce the capital ship battles as seen on the games, with the emphasis being on fighters, beam weapons, and bombs (missiles in FTL)?

And can we get a Sathanas as boss? :oops:

Edit: Though thinking it through we would get ROFLStomped by one.
rolfy

Postby rolfy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:47 am

A better way to turn off thrusters is to change the name of your layout. Thrusters seem to be attached to the layout property, not the name (slot) property.
So if you want to put a ship in the Engi Type A slot, but you want it to have thrusters:

Code: Select all

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE" layout="kestral" img="whatever">
SaltyWaffles

Postby SaltyWaffles » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 am

Wow, a fellow Freespace fan! Always a pleasant surprise to see.

I'd love to help out, though I won't be able to really get started until next week. In the mean time (and after), I'd be happy to answer/advise any matters about the various lore, canon, how to translate various FS game mechanics and story/setting quirks to FTL ones.

One note, though, while I'm at it: destroyers are huge--about two kilometers long on average (larger in most mods that feature next-gen warships), crewed by about 10,000, and always featuring dozens of fighters/bombers in its fighterbay. Perhaps its FTL size should reflect the scale a bit more? Not saying it should be huge, just notably larger than a Kestrel, for instance.

Personally, I'd love to see a GTCv Chimera-class corvette make it into this mod someday--I've already tried making a rough equivalent (sans aesthetics).