Operation: Clonebay

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
preflex

Re: Operation: Clonebay

Postby preflex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 pm

stargateprovider wrote:So I discovered a thing about systems.
I didn't know where to post this discovery, but I thought maybe it could be useful here:

Code: Select all

<event>
   <text>This is how you get systems in events</text>
   <system name="shields"/>
</event>

I'm not sure I understand. Is this an event that rewards the player with a shields system? I can't think of any events in vanilla FTL that reward systems. Is there an example of this in FTL's files? I couldn't find any instances of "system name" when searching through the xml.

However, I had been wondering how to do this. It's good to know. Thanks!
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:33 am

Yes, this event gives you the shield system if you don't have it (or any other system if you want to). You can actually get more systems than allowed when you use this code, so maybe that's why there isn't anything like it in vanilla FTL, but the code works!
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
preflex

Postby preflex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:28 pm

I've been working on enemy ships.

Not sure about how to align the floor. Centering it on the x-axis of the base image appears to always be ok. I don't get the Y.

Also, not sure about slots on systems. From playing the game, it appears to just select a random wall that's not a door. Is this correct? I think this is the case, since identical ships seem to have different slots sometimes.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 pm

preflex wrote:I've been working on enemy ships.

Not sure about how to align the floor. Centering it on the x-axis of the base image appears to always be ok. I don't get the Y.

Also, not sure about slots on systems. From playing the game, it appears to just select a random wall that's not a door. Is this correct? I think this is the case, since identical ships seem to have different slots sometimes.

Glow and floor/system images are actually defined by the XML files, but it does seem to toss them in randomly.
Last edited by English Narwhal on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 pm

preflex wrote:Not sure about how to align the floor. Centering it on the x-axis of the base image appears to always be ok. I don't get the Y.

Rooms are not positioned relative to the base image. Rather, the base image is placed relative to the top-left corner of the room layout (adjusted by the X/Y_OFFSET values).

Also, as far as I can tell, there's a vertical offset hardcoded to the enemy ships -- about 110 that has to be included along with VERTICAL.

preflex wrote:From playing the game, it appears to just select a random wall that's not a door. Is this correct?

Yup, that's exactly what I figured as well.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm

This is a response from Justin on a inquiry of this subject:

Code: Select all

Sorry for the delayed reply. We appreciate that these mod-focused versions of FTL are being made out of love for the game, but we hope that you can understand that it's an awkward situation from our perspective. You're asking for permission to clone our game. A strange aspect of the US copyright system is that if we don't actively protect our copyright, it is no longer valid. So we have to stick to a few rules regardless of the situation.

1) FTL fan inspired projects (fan art, fiction, mods, etc.) are mostly acceptable as long as they are non-commercial.

2) You cannot distribute any of our copyrighted assets. That means any art, music, sound effects, event texts, or any other sort of data from the game's xml files.

Overdrive, as we understand it, is acceptable because it will rely on any user having a valid version of FTL already on their system. It is, at its core, an extremely advanced mod.

Operation Clonebay seeks to clone FTL and distribute it freely. You can see why we might not be in love with that idea. But as long as it really uses none of our copyrighted assets, as previously described, then that is acceptable as game design cannot be copyrighted.

Does that answer your question?  Are you the creator of Clonebay or just an interested fan.

Thanks,
-justin
Anduqwer

Postby Anduqwer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Well with all of that stuff are you going to extract from the ftl files or make your own?
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 am

It's always sad to see another project like this be abandoned, this one went quietly though because there was no word from its creator.

R.I.P. Operation Clonebay
March 15, 2015 - April 16, 2015
"What can I say? I'm dumb enough to try"
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Woo, I tried to launch it on Windows and ran into the exact same error as the creator, I'm happy I took a break from trying to figure it out since now I at least know it's not just on my end :D Too bad he appears to have abandoned the project :| I might try to continue in his place if I have time and more importantly, if I can manage to get it running somehow.

Edit: Hype!
I had to do quite a bit of debugging to get it to not crash as soon as it starts, but I finally managed to launch it! The music isn't quite crisp (there's some occasional static noise) and obviously it doesn't look alright, but I'm sooo happy!
de/odex

Postby de/odex » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Regarding the "Only supports 3.4+" see into pathlib2: https://github.com/mcmtroffaes/pathlib2
Haven't seen the code if it uses anything newer so give me a moment

EDIT: ah wait i also saw you'd like it to use only packaged modules; thats another issue. Maybe just copy the whole repo into a folder inside the project directory? :lol: