The Santasprey - [SHIP CONCEPT] - Need help

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: Santa's Flagship - [SHIP] - NEW UPDATE

Postby stylesrj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 am

I've updated the Christmas Flagship. The various crews should all be working now (Fanfic and random) and I've also added some weapons. The Human gets Earl Grey Tea and lasers, the Mantis gets his jerky and some guns and Santa... he's got a set of overpowered guns if you want a quick romp through the galaxy without a single care in the world.

Please do take your time to read the text. Oh and if the ship blows up, the way the gibs fly should be hilarious!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rugmvi2mz0vhn4a/Christmas_Flagship.ftl
stylesrj

Re: The Santasprey - [SHIP CONCEPT] - Need help

Postby stylesrj » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 am

I'm having trouble making the OP Vulcan cannons a bit more festive. When a Flak gun fires, it shoots a wide range of different projectiles. So I figured "Why not do the same for the Gattlemiester? Have it shoot blue, green and purple shots" using the laser projectile strips.

But when I tried it, the game would crash as the ship fires. After I tried swapping a few things around and even setting it to shoot only 1 blast instead of 2 (and because how spread weapons work, it was... impressive to watch a constant barrage for 7 seconds with most of it doing little damage before firing a big barrage that finished them off) but game still crashed.

I'd like to have it available for one type of gun but I might just give up and make 3 other Gattlemeisters - one shoots purple, one shoots blue and a third shoots green (perhaps even with different effects). But only if this doesn't work out.
stylesrj

Re: The Santasprey - [SHIP] CHRISTMAS MIGHT BE CANCELLED!

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 am

Gah! What am I missing here!? Why U NO WORK?

Ok, I'm trying to split up the list of gifts so that everything isn't on one page and overflowing from the text box. The problem is that the eventlist loads up a random event or another option entirely. So instead of going to "Rocky Christmas" it instead gives me 4 Zoltans and another chance to unwrap the presents... to which then it does the same thing.

Here's the code that should lead to it (this shows up fine on the event list)

Code: Select all

<choice hidden="true">
            <text>See what other presents are available.</text>
            <event load="CHRISTMAS_ROCKY"/>
         </choice>

And this is the event it should be calling up... and it doesn't work!

<eventList name="CHRISTMAS_ROCKY">
   <event>
      <text>The crew digs through the pile a little bit more and discovers several more large boxes that had been overlooked.</text>
         <choice req="rock" hidden="true">
            <text>The Rock sees a big crate labelled for them</text>
               <event>
                  <text>The crew unwraps the present to find it's sealed in a very strong crate. Even with the help of a crowbar, the lid wouldn't budge. The Rockman of Vrachos IV smashes a rocky fist on it and the lid comes off easily, spilling packing peanuts everywhere and revealing several items.</text>
                  <weapon name="LASER_HEAVY_1_SP"/>
                     <choice>
                     <text>See what that missile launcher does.</text>
                        <event>
                        <text>"This my boy is a very special present!" Santa explains, as the Rock drags the missile out. "It requires a lot of explosives to fire, but when it hits an enemy ship, it'll most likely be destroyed!" He places a hand on the Rock's shoulder. "Use it wisely."</text>
                        <weapon name="ROCKY_MISSILES"/>
                        </event>
                     </choice>
               </event>
         </choice>
         <choice req="anaerobic" hidden="true">
            <text>The Lanius sees a package for themselves</text>
               <event>
                  <text>The Lanius does not understand the concept of Christmas very well. Upon unwrapping the box, it immediately begins absorbing the metal crate. The crew is shocked to see this happen but Santa laughs, like a bowlful of jelly. "Ho ho ho! I anticipated this one my friends! Inside was a whole pile of scrap metal!" The Lanius, in gratitude begins shaping some of that metal into a weapon.</text>
                     <weapon name="SHOTGUN_PLAYER"/>
                     <item_modify>
                     <item type="scrap" min="50" max="50" />
                     </item_modify>
                     <choice>
                     <text>The Lanius finds enough left over to make a second copy of the previous gun!</text>
                        <event>
                        <text>Satisfied at their work, the Lanius goes back to polishing their blades in the corner of the cargo hold while the crew go and install the guns to the ship.</text>
                        <weapon name="SHOTGUN_PLAYER"/>
                        </event>
                     </choice>
               </event>
         </choice>
         <choice>
         <text>None of them apply to the crew. Let's move on.</text>
         </choice>
   </event>
</eventList>

I give up rather easily on this thing and if I don't get answers soon-ish... Christmas may be cancelled! :lol:
Am I missing a closing tag somewhere?
R4V3-0N

Re: The Santasprey - [SHIP] CHRISTMAS MIGHT BE CANCELLED!

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 pm

I have never made an event yet and I wish I could help you however I love the 'title' off the topic you put.

Take a small break and come back to it later. This could be one of the situations where it's a "I can't find the thing I am looking for!!!" while you are holding it in your hand. Some mistakes are obvious to a fresh pair of eyes while it is not when you been staring at it for awhile. This is usually how I fix any bug my mods have.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:57 pm

I had a quick skim, all I can suggest is putting a <event/> tag after the text of your last choice (just so it has something to fire), although I'm not sure it's 100% neccersary.

I'm not great with coding, but I've found that Notepad++ has saved my events multiple times.
Download it, open your append in it, and set the language to XML. It has nice colours and shows linked tags, and if somethings overflowing it shows it down the left hand side.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:14 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I have never made an event yet and I wish I could help you however I love the 'title' off the topic you put.

Well Christmas is supposed to be a jolly old time. If it's making me rage out... :lol:
Also, scripting events is easy. Getting extended events like this one to work however is not.

Gencool wrote:I had a quick skim, all I can suggest is putting a <event/> tag after the text of your last choice (just so it has something to fire), although I'm not sure it's 100% neccersary.

Just tried it. Still decided to mess with me.
Maybe I should consider splitting up all these long events into short events so that if something goes wrong I'm not trawling through messy code, I can just point to say... "Santa Unwrap" or "Human Unwrap"

I'm not great with coding, but I've found that Notepad++ has saved my events multiple times.
Download it, open your append in it, and set the language to XML. It has nice colours and shows linked tags, and if somethings overflowing it shows it down the left hand side.

Believe it or not, but I am using Notepad++

I haven't set the language to XML though. But I'll do that from now on.
stylesrj

Re: The Santasprey - SOLVED!

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:15 am

Ok, I found out the problem with the event flags.
When I go to a continue option, I need to put an <event /> tag so the game sees it's a closed event and not load some other event to fill in the gap and cause problems. Now it resets just fine when trouble occurs.

Pretty soon I'll have the alien gift events all done, then I'll add an actual Santasprey. The Tinstrel has already been added to the pack. It replaces Kestrel B so it doesn't conflict with the Sleigher.
stylesrj

Re: The Santasprey - Milk & Cookies - Need Help!

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 am

For an idea, I've decided that when you go to an empty beacon, if you keep the Christmas Presents augment, you can deliver them to the children in need and you get milk & cookies in return.

The problem is that I'm trying to make it a weapon, but the icons don't show up and it displays the basic laser.

Blueprint:

<weaponBlueprint name="COOKIES">
   <type>BOMB</type>
   <tip>tip_bombs</tip>
   <title>Milk & Cookies</title>
   <short>Cookies</short>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <desc>A gift left by children for Santa. Can be consumed at a store for scrap.</desc>
   <tooltip>Free scrap.</tooltip>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <sysDamage>0</sysDamage>
   <persDamage>0</persDamage>
   <ion>0</ion>
   <missiles>0</missiles>
   <drone_targetable>0</drone_targetable>
   <shots>1</shots>
   <sp>0</sp>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <stunChance>0</stunChance>
   <hullBust>0</hullBust>
   <cooldown>-1</cooldown>
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>50</cost>
   <bp>4</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <image>cookies</image>
   <explosion>explosion_random</explosion>
      <launchSounds>
      <sound>bombTeleport</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>smallExplosion</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <weaponArt>cookies</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>bomb</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

Animation:

<animSheet name="cookies" w="32" h="32" fw="32" fh="32">weapons/Cookies.png</animSheet>

And here's the image in question:

Cookies.png

I've pretty much copied the thing from GenCool's Christmas presents weapon/bomb launcher and modified a few values (the icon is 32 by 32, not more than 32 by 32) but for some reason it's not working. Have I completely screwed up modifications or am I to add more cookies?

Please help me! We can't have the Christmas of Tinny Tim ruined by coding problems!
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 pm

From the code you've posted, you've only stated the animation sheet; there should be a few lines of code accompianing it (usually the next line) which denotes the frames used from the sheet for different states (off/charged/firing/etc)
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks GenCool! I thought that part wasn't needed as it was for projectiles. But now it works (and I had to flip it a few times so it wouldn't appear as inverted and upside-down)

With your Elves giving out Scrap and stores constantly it means players will be rolling in the dough as soon as they leave Sector 1 :lol:
I might have some modifications made to ship blueprints so that they can have cool things like Level 6 shields or doors that don't need manning. Or a level 4 Clone Bay, Level 5 (2 minutes) Hacking... just so people have a place to put all their money.