Star Trek: FTL

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
thereaverofdarkness
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:21 am
Location: DA-SR 12

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:39 pm

I figure Mantis = Klingon and Crystal = Tholian.
Abs
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby Abs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 pm

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I figure Mantis = Klingon and Crystal = Tholian.


Interesting suggestion! Why those races?

Here's my reasoning:
I made the Klingons Rockmen because their health is higher than average, meaning that they pose more of a threat when fighting. Also, it seems like their events have them listed as a warrior people, which is what the Rockmen are.

I chose the Mantis to be Tholians because they kinda look alike.
Image

To be honest I don't know enough about their "culture" to see if it's a good fit.

I'm open to hearing new ideas, but I'd like to hear why so that I can take advantage of those reasons. :)

Abs
Image
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
thereaverofdarkness
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:21 am
Location: DA-SR 12

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:46 pm

I figure Mantis for Klingons because they are both a predator race, and Klingons may be a bit tougher than humans but where they shine is more their strength and combat prowess.

Crystal for Tholians because both are an ancient race you don't see very often. They're strikingly different in many ways, but both locked away somewhere far away. Seems like if you use Crystals as a base race, you have fewer details to change to make convincing Tholians.

Perhaps Romulans for Rockmen. I felt that the Zoltans should be Vulcans, but part of me feels Engi should be. It's a tough decision because the Zoltan are more like them in temperament but the Engi are more like them in closeness with the Federation.
dalolorn
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 am
Location: R.S. Dominator

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby dalolorn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:43 pm

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I figure Mantis for Klingons because they are both a predator race, and Klingons may be a bit tougher than humans but where they shine is more their strength and combat prowess.

Crystal for Tholians because both are an ancient race you don't see very often. They're strikingly different in many ways, but both locked away somewhere far away. Seems like if you use Crystals as a base race, you have fewer details to change to make convincing Tholians.

Perhaps Romulans for Rockmen. I felt that the Zoltans should be Vulcans, but part of me feels Engi should be. It's a tough decision because the Zoltan are more like them in temperament but the Engi are more like them in closeness with the Federation.


Lanius would make better Tholians - they cannot exist in the same room as humanoids without environmental suits on one or both sides. Also, Tholians aren't ancient and locked away somewhere far away, just xenophobic.

I do however agree that Mantis would make good Klingons. Low repair rate works in that argument's favor, too.
Abs
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby Abs » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Great feedback, everyone! :D

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I figure Mantis for Klingons because they are both a predator race, and Klingons may be a bit tougher than humans but where they shine is more their strength and combat prowess.

Crystal for Tholians because both are an ancient race you don't see very often. They're strikingly different in many ways, but both locked away somewhere far away. Seems like if you use Crystals as a base race, you have fewer details to change to make convincing Tholians.

Perhaps Romulans for Rockmen. I felt that the Zoltans should be Vulcans, but part of me feels Engi should be. It's a tough decision because the Zoltan are more like them in temperament but the Engi are more like them in closeness with the Federation.


Your point on the Klingons is a very good one. Okay, I'll switch out the Klingons from Rockmen to Mantis. I'll be using a lot of the original Rock events and translating them to be relevant to the Klingon ones, though. They just fit better. Plus, I've already made some pretty specific assets for a few scenarios where these ships appear only once. I'm kinda excited to share them with everyone, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.

I'm not going to break out the Vulcan's into a separate race...they'll be lumped in with the humans, since they are one of the founding races of the Federation. The only reason I even have the Betazoid split apart is because I need someone to replace the Slugs and their telepathic abilities, and there are no other telepathic races that I know of that can do that.

My reasoning behind the Romulans = Zoltans is because they are a very cunning and very clever species. As intelligent as the Vulcans, they are able to make systems work better when operating them. Additionally, when they are killed a self destruct device is meant to deal a final blow to the enemy in one final cunning trap.

Speaking of the Rock, if I can find a ship blueprint for them, I may just turn them into the Gorn. After all, both the Rock and the Gorn are a slow-moving, very tough species.

dalolorn wrote:Lanius would make better Tholians - they cannot exist in the same room as humanoids without environmental suits on one or both sides. Also, Tholians aren't ancient and locked away somewhere far away, just xenophobic.

I do however agree that Mantis would make good Klingons. Low repair rate works in that argument's favor, too.


Another good reason to make the Mantis into the Klingons. Fair enough! :)

Great point on the argument to turn the Lanius into the Tholians. I'll look into this, as I haven't created them yet...but it sounds like this is what I'll do, especially since they need such a high temperature to survive.

Once again, thanks for the great feedback! As a reward, I will show a basic civilian ship that I created that is meant to be for the AI.

Image

This is the Aurora class cruiser from the remastered version of The Original Series. Here's what it looks like on the show. This will be one of the base ships for a lot of the neutral events that you come across in your travels. I was going to keep it as a facebook only announcement, but since the feedback here has been great I'm more than happy to share it here.

Abs
Image
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
thereaverofdarkness
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:21 am
Location: DA-SR 12

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 am

Good point on the Romulans. But they should be similar in net capabilities to Vulcans, and stronger in combat than Humans.
Abs
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby Abs » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I'm here asking for help, because for some reason I can't get my event to work properly. I am using the Mod Testing Environment, and have added it to the CCP. I can select the event, and get as far as "I'm Capt. James T. Kirk from the United Federation of Planets. Why do you have Klingon bodies strapped to the outside of your ship?", and then it does not load the event underneath it. Instead I get the following text "This slot is empty! Read the Read_me!.txt file included in the pack to find out how to trigger your own events." which is clearly not a part of my custom event, and is from the MTE.

Here is the event I am using. If anyone can try it and see if it works all the way through for you. PS: The event loads a custom ship. I think that removing the line should still work for you, or you can try replacing it with another ship.

Code: Select all

<event name="TESTEVENT" unique="false">
   <text>A ship here is adorned with Klingon body parts! This is one of the goriest displays you have ever seen. It is very clear that this is a hunter of a very specialized kind.</text>
   <ship load="AURORA_HUNTER" hostile="false"/>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Kirk: "Uhura, hail them."</text>
      <event>
         <text>An image of a man with light green skin and many visible battle scars across his body appears on the viewscreen. "What do you want?" he asks. His eyes look dull, but you can tell that there is a resolve behind them as well.</text>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>I'm Capt. James T. Kirk from the United Federation of Planets. Why do you have Klingon bodies strapped to the outside of your ship?</text>
            <event>
               <text>Unknown: "I am Amyron, the last remaining son of the planet Dexaroi. The Klingons conquered my planet, torturing and killing everyone along the way. I am here to show the Klingons that their actions will not go unpunished."</choice>
               <choice hidden="true">
                  <text>Kirk: "I see. And what will happen when you kill the last Klingon? What will you do then?"</text>
               </choice>
            </event>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>


Thanks in advance,

Abs
Image
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
User avatar
RAD-82
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 am
Location: Not where a person needs to be...

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:55 pm

<text>Unknown: "I am Amyron, the last remaining son of the planet Dexaroi. The Klingons conquered my planet, torturing and killing everyone along the way. I am here to show the Klingons that their actions will not go unpunished."</choice>

I'd say that </choice> should be a </text>.
Image
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Abs
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby Abs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:06 am

RAD-82 wrote:I'd say that </choice> should be a </text>.


You're right, but it didn't solve my issue. Still having the same problem. :(

Abs
Image
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
User avatar
RAD-82
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 am
Location: Not where a person needs to be...

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:34 am

<choice hidden="true">
<text>Kirk: "I see. And what will happen when you kill the last Klingon? What will you do then?"</text>
</choice>


D'oh! I'm sorry I missed this the first time I looked. This choice doesn't have an event and it needs one.
Image
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 32 guests