[MOD] Laser Mark VI

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ChrisM1A2

Re: [MOD] Laser Mark VI

Postby ChrisM1A2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Hey, if you're still working on this mod, I might be able to help if you can't get it working. I made something similar, although it just used the image of the mark III.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 am

You're almost a year late. :D

I think he gave up. To be fair, back in Sep. 2012, there wasn't as much helpfull information as there is now. Modding weapons is still fairly difficult.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:22 pm

There is no way to make it miss more often anyway. Miss chance is based on opponents evade and completely independent from the weapon that is used (as far as I know).
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Tysonclyde wrote:I have not created this mod yet, but it will be out soon. I just want to see what you think.

Laser Mark VI:
-Does 1 dmg every hit.
-Misses a hell of a lot.
-A continuous rate of fire.

What do you think. Should I make a Laser Mark VII.

Also any other gun ideas would be appreciated.

Weapons are not designed to have continuos rate of fire. It will be op instantly, no matter wat. This is not an arcade game lol, it is a tactical game, dunno if u know wat i mean..

The rate a weapon misses is only affected by the enemies pilot/engines and the experience the crew gain manning the system.

Try to post here your code, so we can see wats wrong...
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:39 pm

I actually thought about making a "fast laser" that, instead of increasing the bolt count per level, lowered the recharge time. I never bothered doing it but the idea was:

Fast Laser I: Not present. It's a basic laser.
Fast Laser II: 2 power, 8 sec recharge.
Fast Laser III: 3 power, 6 sec recharge.
Fast Laser IV: 4 power, 4 sec recharge.

I suspect they'd either be OP (with too fast timings) or useless (With not fast enough) compared to the BLs.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Nah, that will not be op or useless. Weapons that are not able to pass through shields are support weapons, that need to be used in tactical strategies, mostly when the enemy ship has no shields :lol: , meaning support weapons should be used with ion weapons, for example.

I have similar weapons in my Omicron dynasty mod, the omicron lance. Only 2 variants, lance 1 and lance 2. The Lance 1 has 7s. cooldown (as i remember lol), deals 1 damage, 1 power, and ignites fires (low chance). The fire ignition capabilite is the feature that is rising the recharge rate to 7s. If not, probably the recharge rate will be 5s or 4s, but it will be just like another laser. The lance 2, recharges every 11 s., deals 2 damage, and uses 2 power bars. More chances to ignite fire. Even if they look like regular lasers, they will be useless if you cant pass through shields, so you need to have a ship loadout with weapons that can ionize shields or any weapon that can pass through shields and disable em. Once u have the enemy shields down, u can continue aiming to the shields and or /watever you want. In those cases, these weapons are really useful. But of course, they are completely useless if you dont use the correct strategy and they already uses 1 weapon slot, so thats a big deal lol.

But yes, that will be a good choice balancing power with recharge rate, they are not op weapons. I will not lower the recharge rate below 4 s, since you need to count on your crew manning the weapons system, those 4 s will be 3s in the end.. Precisely in my Omicron mod, i have the proton launchers that instead of low recharge rates / high power, its on the opposite lol. Proton launcher mark 1 - 27 s. cooldown, but only uses 1 power and deals 3 damage. And the mark 2, 39 s. cooldown, uses 2 power and deals 6 damage (:o).

But i dont think we have more choices than that, this is very limited....
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
ChrisM1A2

Postby ChrisM1A2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I actually thought about making a "fast laser" that, instead of increasing the bolt count per level, lowered the recharge time. I never bothered doing it but the idea was:

Fast Laser I: Not present. It's a basic laser.
Fast Laser II: 2 power, 8 sec recharge.
Fast Laser III: 3 power, 6 sec recharge.
Fast Laser IV: 4 power, 4 sec recharge.

I suspect they'd either be OP (with too fast timings) or useless (With not fast enough) compared to the BLs.

Yeah, in the "fleet of the federation" mod, made by Whale Cancer, there are autocannons, which with higher levels don't shoot more, they just shoot often.
UnidentifiedUser54

Postby UnidentifiedUser54 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Tysonclyde wrote:WOW. I CANNOT MOD THIS FUCKING GAME. IT JUST WON'T FUCKING WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had the same problem with "CE Endless Loot Addon". many textures were nothing but black boxes
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Did you just join the forum to bump up a 2-year old topic or are you just a bot?

Actually I'm not angry at the necromancy here. Because now with AE and Chain/Charge Weapons, this mod could be given new life.

Is there any way for a gun to shoot slower the longer you fire it? Sort of like a reverse-Vulcan or would people abuse the system by constantly depowering the gun to maintain high rates of fire?

Because the other solution to making an OP laser less OP would be to make the spread really big so while it might fire once every second, that shot might miss 70% of the time
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm

I actually think another way to make this weapon is make it use the same kinda coding as flak, but instead of all these projectiles clustered up it just shoots lots of single projectiles (kinda like swarm missiles)

That way it has lowered accuracy... and if it has a very large range on where it will hit it can make it quite interesting and a weird mix if being OP or UP depending how luck throws your dice.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.