[MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sectors!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
theDoomBox

Re: [MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sect

Postby theDoomBox » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 am

Someone please help. I've followed every direction step by step, uninstalled and tried it again several times, but I can't find what I'm doing wrong. When I run unpack_data.bat, where is it unpacking it to? I would love to know, and again, thanks for tolerating me.
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 pm

The batch file that unpacks .dat should dump them in where the resource files are.
SomeFederationPerson

Postby SomeFederationPerson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 am

Question...

How do you do the sector information in text do you do it after </nameList> or after </name>?
Kaserin67

Postby Kaserin67 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

nvm wrong forum post.
SuperMarioKain

Re: [MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sectors!

Postby SuperMarioKain » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 pm

The unpack_data thing doesnt work for me. Help please?
WIndows cannot find "..\ftldat" Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again
Zenith

Postby Zenith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 am

I'm clueless as to what I'm doing, but would like to take a stab at it anyway.

My issue is with the first step, getting the ftl.dat

I have no clue what to do for the first step, the rest seems like stuff I could figure out.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:08 am

Zenith wrote:I'm clueless as to what I'm doing, but would like to take a stab at it anyway.

I have no clue what to do for the first step, the rest seems like stuff I could figure out.

instead of using ftldat, Slipstream Mod Manager has an option "File --> Extract Dats..." which pretty much takes the functionality of ftldat.
This forum post was created before Slipstream Mod Manager was a thing probably. if you don't know what Slipstream Mod Manager is you should find out about that here: viewtopic.php?t=17102

as for this tutorial, though outdated, it covers the core of what you need to do to make your own events. you might also want to check out the ftlwiki page on events file structure: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Events_file_structure

it's outdated for sure, but any new event structure wasn't really implemented with AE, except for maybe the override sectors in sector_data.xml . :edit: also maybe look at everything with "dlc" in front of it like dlcEvents.xml; those will match up with the override sectors probably

so a recap:
1. if you don't know what Slipstream is, go there first.
2. then use Slipstream to extract the dats into folders. you'll probably only need to do this for data.dat unless you want to tinker with the resources (such as images, audio, fonts)
3. then when you have your folder sorted, trace the steps of the tutorial, say for some existing event to see how it works. then you can implement your own event and see if it works. also, you can add events directly to the start beacon (the 1st beacon of the game you start at) by adding a choice to it just to see if at least the event itself works.

don't hesitate to ask any questions. there is a general inquiry thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17442
Zenith

Postby Zenith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
Zenith wrote:I'm clueless as to what I'm doing, but would like to take a stab at it anyway.

instead of using ftldat, Slipstream Mod Manager has an option "File --> Extract Dats..." which pretty much takes the functionality of ftldat.
This forum post was created before Slipstream Mod Manager was a thing probably. if you don't know what Slipstream Mod Manager is you should find out about that here: viewtopic.php?t=17102

as for this tutorial, though outdated, it covers the core of what you need to do to make your own events. you might also want to check out the ftlwiki page on events file structure: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Events_file_structure

it's outdated for sure, but any new event structure wasn't really implemented with AE, except for maybe the override sectors in sector_data.xml . :edit: also maybe look at everything with "dlc" in front of it like dlcEvents.xml; those will match up with the override sectors probably

so a recap:
1. if you don't know what Slipstream is, go there first.
2. then use Slipstream to extract the dats into folders. you'll probably only need to do this for data.dat unless you want to tinker with the resources (such as images, audio, fonts)
3. then when you have your folder sorted, trace the steps of the tutorial, say for some existing event to see how it works. then you can implement your own event and see if it works. also, you can add events directly to the start beacon (the 1st beacon of the game you start at) by adding a choice to it just to see if at least the event itself works.

don't hesitate to ask any questions. there is a general inquiry thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17442

Thanks, man.

I do know what slipstream is, I've been messing around with making ships via Superluminal.
I've got a data folder made with audio, data, fonts, and img, but have no clue as to where I'm going from here.
I suppose I should start with questions on the questions thread.