[MOD] Spectral Lasers yay

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
buzzyrecky

[MOD] Spectral Lasers yay

Postby buzzyrecky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:51 am

This is more of a test mod than something you'd actually want to use, but I decided to try my hand at making a weapon so here it is.

It's kinda overpowered (not broken, but enough to be unfair), so I'd recommend you not use it besides to test it out, but its a weapon called the Soul Shot (at least for now), and it's an ion laser that also damages the hull simultaneously. Really simple, but neat I guess. I also quickly made a new color palette for it to make it more 'spectral' looking.

Aww isn't he a cute

The kestrel starts with it, simply so you can just see it without having to wait for it to pop up in a shop, but yeah. Its unfair (needs to be kept in shops and bumped from 1 to 3 power methinks), so you probably shouldn't play seriously with it :P

Anyway, I hope to make some bigger mods soon. I want to make one that adds a ton of events and one with a few new weapons. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read/try this crap. 8-)

Here's links:

data.dat: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bzfbhsa4zz138x
resource.dat: http://www.mediafire.com/?nt1vbvbrsvr7k5x

Also, note that the resource dat is optional. It just has a few images added to make the weapon look different, but otherwise you don't need it. Oh, and I think I might have added an event and added another option to the pony event for testing reasons. They just give random loot (I think) so that shouldn't be much of a problem.
mattimao

Re: [MOD] Spectral Lasers yay

Postby mattimao » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Tested this out. The weapon works fine and is very useful. The resource pack did not change the look from the nasty white/yellow triangle.
I put the resources in the right folder and overwrote.
Any thoughts?

Good job with this.
Now I just need to figure out how to combine all these cool mods.

I want the no rebel fleet mod and this one at the same time but they are both just a data.dat file.
Is there a way to combine data mods?

Thanks for the cool weapon!
buzzyrecky

Postby buzzyrecky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

I am unsure why the resource thing didn't work, as I tested it multiple times and it seemed fine for myself, but hopefully it changes by the time I make another mod, I guess. I think that in order to combine the mods you would have to open up the data.dat and edit them both together yourself (which would probably be irritating).
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 am

This doesn't replace a weapon right?
buzzyrecky

Postby buzzyrecky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 am

Nope, it adds a completely new one. You can find it as the third weapon for the kestrel and in shops for 100 scrap.
mattimao

Postby mattimao » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Will you be making this available as a .ftl file for use with GMM?
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:30 pm

I've jet to find any of my 'modded' weapons in the shop. Is there a special list you need to add the weapon-name to?
May I was just being unlucky, but I would like a confirmation ^^'
Greetz,
Alblaka
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 pm

I'll get this mod if you make the weapon balanced with a balanced price reload and power requirment
buzzyrecky

Postby buzzyrecky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Moosicorn wrote:I'll get this mod if you make the weapon balanced with a balanced price reload and power requirment
Have any recommendations? I probably need to bump the damages down one for sure, but other than that I don't know what to do with it.
Alblaka wrote:I've jet to find any of my 'modded' weapons in the shop. Is there a special list you need to add the weapon-name to?
May I was just being unlucky, but I would like a confirmation ^^'
Mod items definitely do appear in shops. I don't think you need to add anything anywhere, just make sure the rarity is 1-5 instead of 0

Also, I finished 16 weapons in total now, so I'm about to bundle them into a mod. Some of them are definitely overpowered, but they're really hard to get so that's okay, I hope (you can only get 6 of them normally, the rest are via events).

It'll be up later tonight.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

To make it not over powered you could increase reload and required power