Air Systems [DEV Please Look]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Zandorum

Air Systems [DEV Please Look]

Postby Zandorum » Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 am

I need to know how the Air System works not in XML I mean what are the actual Algorithms for Air Propagation and Venting. Can anyone help me with this? Hopefully a Developer since I need to know exactly how it works.
R4V3-0N

Re: Air Systems [DEV Please Look]

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 am

Even if you do get what you want, why do you want to know may I ask?... you can't mod it and you can't change it in any way...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm

This kind of request does not go in mod development. It belongs in discussions.
Zandorum

Postby Zandorum » Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Even if you do get what you want, why do you want to know may I ask?... you can't mod it and you can't change it in any way...

I'm making a Lua 1:1 clone of FTL so people can actually make mods for it that are expansive, including that of a Addons Folder in the form that Garrysmod does it. I'm not breaking any copyright laws because when you launch it for the first time you need to tell the game the directory of your actual ftl and it will load the resource.dat for the textures and sounds. Everything that I have done is just Lua any custom textures that I am adding would be for 3 things:
1. Multiplayer Button (Multiplayer is planned and connections have been made but without the knowledge of how the air systems work I'll just stop working on this project).
2. Custom Ship Button (Load Custom Ships so you don't have to overwrite default ships).
3. Mods Button (Check which mods are Loaded and even Uncheck or Check them to enable or disable them (You have to restart the game for it to take effect).

Essentially I need this for the Clone, I will not be making any money off of this as it will be free and posted on these forms when its finished. I will not come with any of the Textures or Sounds of the game, nor have I taken any code. What I am currently asking for is how the Air System works so I can make a Lua version of it since when I try to make it, it causes the game to drop from 80fps to 12fps.

English Narwhal wrote:This kind of request does not go in mod development. It belongs in discussions.

I feel like this would be a mod of a sort but if you feel like that if a moderator could move this to discussions that would be great.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 pm

I don't think it's particularly complex... IIRC each room object has a float variable that keeps track of oxygen levels in this room (that much is obvious). If two rooms are connected by an opened door, and there is a difference in their pressure levels, then keep modifying their oxygen levels by a (flat amount) * (number of open doors with difference in pressure) on each clock cycle, until they're even.

Frankly, I don't see how that could cause the game to drop from 80 to 12 fps... Even if performed on every frame, it's just simple calculations. Are you sure you haven't accidentally made a loop that keeps going for far longer than it should? Or maybe a misaligned end, causing the loop to encompass more instructions than intended?
I dunno, being able to see the script code would make it easier to help.

Either way, good luck with your project :)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:08 am

You should be able to make up an algorithm without losing much. Each room can receive or lose air based on the O2 status and connected rooms, treating space as a room with no air. I imagine something like
O2(t) = O2(t - 1) + syslvl + k * [O2roomup(t - 1) - O2(t- 1)]
would work, with a k * difference term for each room with an open door. Anyway, I'm excited for this project.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Thu May 15, 2014 3:36 am

Zandorum wrote:I'm making a Lua 1:1 clone of FTL so people can actually make mods for it that are expansive, including that of a Addons Folder in the form that Garrysmod does it. I'm not breaking any copyright laws because when you launch it for the first time you need to tell the game the directory of your actual ftl and it will load the resource.dat for the textures and sounds.

This sounds almost like the original Overdrive project (that was also Lua) that was abandoned and the new OverdriveGDX that doesn't seem like it's going anywhere... It would be amazing if something like this was finished and it could open up a lot of modding capabilities...

Unfortunately I have no idea about the algorithm that Oxygen uses in the game... There might be something in those threads though...

I wish you the best of luck!
Zandorum

Postby Zandorum » Thu May 15, 2014 10:42 pm

a Sir wrote:
Zandorum wrote:I'm making a Lua 1:1 clone of FTL so people can actually make mods for it that are expansive, including that of a Addons Folder in the form that Garrysmod does it. I'm not breaking any copyright laws because when you launch it for the first time you need to tell the game the directory of your actual ftl and it will load the resource.dat for the textures and sounds.

This sounds almost like the original Overdrive project (that was also Lua) that was abandoned and the new OverdriveGDX that doesn't seem like it's going anywhere... It would be amazing if something like this was finished and it could open up a lot of modding capabilities...

Unfortunately I have no idea about the algorithm that Oxygen uses in the game... There might be something in those threads though...

I wish you the best of luck!

I'm 100% sure I can make it too, I have alot already done I just need to know how air works since I wont make it unless its 1:1, other than air everything else is fine.
Zandorum

Postby Zandorum » Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 am

If anyone has any information on this I really need it.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 am

Zandorum wrote:If anyone has any information on this I really need it.

Have you tried the wiki?