Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
reallynewperson

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager v1.4 (Updated Oct 16 2012!)

Postby reallynewperson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 am

Hi im not sure if im just an idiot but every time i try to download a mod to it(after i put in the mods folder) and click the modman icon with the floppy
it says my mods are installing and then it says they are installed but then i open up ftl and the mods aren't installed.Please help.

-reallynewperson
ser_aerochorro

Postby ser_aerochorro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm

hypnagogic wrote:I am experiencing the same errors as others using the app; console provides no meaningful information (same messages as other user, with code 255.)

I've gone down the other tree, trying to get python and Tkinter working properly using the tgz from Github.

bash-3.2# pythonw main.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 5, in <module>
from Tkinter import * # I know, I know, bad practice
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 39, in <module>
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

I'm certain that Python isn't configured properly on my installation of OSX.

Is there anyone who has gotten the mod managers, in either form, running on OSX that would be willing to share what version of Python they're running and more about the environments they have? Is XCode a bad thing to have installed? Do I need to be removing MacPorts versions of Python? Am I sitting too close to the keyboard? Only attempting to play at night?

I'd love to be able to experiment with mods.
The version I use is 2.7. XCode is not only not bad, but actually mandatory if you want to make a bundle.

Try to install Tkinter from macports, I think it doesn't come shipped.
Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm

So can anybody make a youtube video to this mod so i can understand all this? please reply and thank you! ;)
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm

ok so I just downloaded the 1.4, tried it out, and it keeps saying the same thing, "this Executable must be in the same folder as FTLGames.exe"

I honestly don't know what to do, first time I'm playing with mods. I looked for an FTLGames.exe file but nothing, does it mean put the actutal game next to it, or what?

Edit: Worse part is, by my own mistake I deleted my save file...so I'm back to square one :(
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
ken oh

Postby ken oh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

ser_aerochorro wrote:
Zorael wrote:Tried on linux and ran into some obstacles. Distro was Kubuntu 12.10 amd64, python reported version 2.7.3.

First, main.py:407 looks for realpath[:realpath.rindex("\\")].

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 407, in <module>
    dir_root = realpath[:realpath.rindex("\\")]
ValueError: substring not found

I think it might be better to use os.path.dirname() here instead. Slicing by index of '\\' sounds like it would only work in Windows...? (Has anyone gotten it to work in linux, or OSX for that matter?)

I just sent a pull request to Grognak with the fix, thank you :>

I'm still getting this error on Linux with v1.4. If the fix is simple enough, care to spell it out or show us where to look for it?
ankorite

Postby ankorite » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm

So I changed line 407 from

dir_root = realpath[:realpath.rindex("\\")]
to

dir_root = os.path.dirname(realpath)

That got it working for me on Ubuntu 12.04 x86 and 12.10 amd64.
I can post a patch to the github but it sounds like there has already been one proposed.

Cheers!
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:36 am

BrenTenkage wrote:ok so I just downloaded the 1.4, tried it out, and it keeps saying the same thing, "this Executable must be in the same folder as FTLGames.exe"

I honestly don't know what to do, first time I'm playing with mods. I looked for an FTLGames.exe file but nothing, does it mean put the actutal game next to it, or what?

Edit: Worse part is, by my own mistake I deleted my save file...so I'm back to square one :(

Ah, I can help with this one. I'm going to assume you got the game through Steam (and on Windows 7, no idea on the iOS process) like I did, if not, this might put you on the right track anyway. You're looking for the folder that holds the FTL.exe, not the launcher itself. Find it like so:

1. You can enter this into the search box at the bottom of the screen, which comes up when you hit the start button:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light

2. Manually, enter My Computer, then your C drive, then the folder named Programs. Somewhere in here there'll be a folder named Steam, open that, then a folder named steamapps, followed by one called common, and finally enter the FTL folder, and there you are.

Now just drag (or copy) the GMM anywhere into that FTL folder, and launch the GMM.

If it still won't work, I can't help you past here , can't get the freakin thing to launch myself...
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:38 am

dante2ndadvent wrote:
BrenTenkage wrote:ok so I just downloaded the 1.4, tried it out, and it keeps saying the same thing, "this Executable must be in the same folder as FTLGames.exe"

Ah, I can help with this one. I'm going to assume you got the game through Steam (and on Windows 7, no idea on the iOS process) like I did, if not, this might put you on the right track anyway. You're looking for the folder that holds the FTL.exe, not the launcher itself. Find it like so:

1. You can enter this into the search box at the bottom of the screen, which comes up when you hit the start button:

2. Manually, enter My Computer, then your C drive, then the folder named Programs. Somewhere in here there'll be a folder named Steam, open that, then a folder named steamapps, followed by one called common, and finally enter the FTL folder, and there you are.

Now just drag (or copy) the GMM anywhere into that FTL folder, and launch the GMM.

If it still won't work, I can't help you past here , can't get the freakin thing to launch myself...

Uh No I use windows, I downloaded the DRM free one
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:44 am

BrenTenkage wrote:
dante2ndadvent wrote:

Uh No I use windows, I downloaded the DRM free one

Edit, ok I did what ya said and I found the FTL file, and then copy and pasted it into the mod folder....ok then I click it, nothing.

I tried over and over, it would do like that MS DOS black screen thing in another box, and then put some lines down, but then nothing. :( I R sad
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 am

Yeah, welcome to my world.