[MOD][WIP]The Arcadian War - Collaboration Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
EngiEngineer

Re: [MOD][WIP]The Arcadian War - Collaboration Mod

Postby EngiEngineer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Hello mod authors, I am posting this to inform you that I would love to help with this mod. I will say right off the bat that I am no artist. My forte is in coding; I could help make sectors, beacons and weapons (that sort of thing). But what I would really like is help with the quest system it sounds like it could be very fun. Of course I do have some questions in fact the same ones the same ones as Lamedonyx, but I have some of my own: How deep will the quest system really be? How long do you estimate the dev time will be? And (this is just for personal knowledge) how did you make FTl looking ships? I know you borrowed some FTL assets but you must have made some yourself, so did you use a program or did you just get down and draw it pixel by pixel?

Anyway that's all my questions, EngiEngineer.

P.S. The mod looks absolutely great, and good luck.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:16 pm

LuigiGames wrote:Interesting mod, but unfortunately even if you beat the boss, the federation will still win the war anyway, because after the Arcadian war, that's when the rebellion strikes against the FEDERATION, and the federation will still exist in these cases. cool mod, but perhaps you can make a captain's edition compatibility and a submod that allows you to fight for the federation in this war? i prefer to assist the feds, for some reason they are just more awesome. no offense, time to fight some Arcadians. Anyway, awesome mod! love it if i can choose sides.

Not all war ends in total destruction. For example in WWI the Germans surrendered and we severely weakend, which is what the Federation will do. And me and Ravon have been talking about CE compatibility, but no. We will not make a mode were you fight as the feds, too much work.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Lamedonyx wrote:I would actually be interested to try to create some events, sectors, and even maybe ships, but for that, I have a couple questions about the lore and mod development.
First : Which races are in the Arcadian Empire, and which are in the Federation ?
Second : Are the Crystals exiled yet, and are the Lanius present in the universe ?
Three : Are civilians heavily implied in this war, or are they far from it (like the vanilla quest) ?
Four : Will it be an Infinite Space like mod, with bosses every 8 sectors, or will it be a set number of sectors ?
Five : Do you need any help for translation (French, in my case)
Six : Will there be new races ?

That's all for now, and hope that you will succeed with this epic-looking mod.

Well sense the Federation and the Arcadians inhabit different areas of space they both contain there own races, they are very similar to the Feds so humans will be there dominate race, but sense they are an Empire they are not in an alliance with other races. However sense Rocks, Slugs and Mantis do not favor the Federation they will help you more than often (Mantis, Rock and Slug sectors will be Friendly sectors instead of hostile)

Were not sure about Crystals, were thinking of replacing them but race editation is very limited. And the Lanius are present every major war, so yes. Citizens are about as impacted as in Vanilla FTL, considering the front line of the war has shifted rapidly. No, it will be the standard 8 sectors, and no one has asked for a translation, not yet at least.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:26 pm

EngiEngineer wrote:Hello mod authors, I am posting this to inform you that I would love to help with this mod. I will say right off the bat that I am no artist. My forte is in coding; I could help make sectors, beacons and weapons (that sort of thing). But what I would really like is help with the quest system it sounds like it could be very fun. Of course I do have some questions in fact the same ones the same ones as Lamedonyx, but I have some of my own: How deep will the quest system really be? How long do you estimate the dev time will be? And (this is just for personal knowledge) how did you make FTl looking ships? I know you borrowed some FTL assets but you must have made some yourself, so did you use a program or did you just get down and draw it pixel by pixel?

Anyway that's all my questions, EngiEngineer.

P.S. The mod looks absolutely great, and good luck.

In vanilla FTL we feel that your not very in depth with the actual war and that you seem very distant from it trying to complete a mission that dosent even matter until you have reached sector 8. Many quests will last entire sectors having 3 to 5 quest beacons. To make our ships we splice other pieces of ships together to make new ones. I use Photoshop CS6 and my co-developer R4V3-0N uses Gimp. Were looking at about the end of the summer release if all goes well.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:38 pm

UPDATE

Arcadian Elite Fighter, still need to make regular one.
Lamedonyx

Postby Lamedonyx » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 pm

It looks that there is an attachment quota on this forum, so we can't post any new pictures... I made a regular version of the Elite Arcadian Fighter, so i guess I will put it on Imgur
http://imgur.com/gwUg80g
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Lamedonyx wrote:It looks that there is an attachment quota on this forum, so we can't post any new pictures... I made a regular version of the Elite Arcadian Fighter, so i guess I will put it on Imgur

It looks good but.. uh you appear to have removed the engines and the background is black. Also the insignia is usually removed with non-elite fighters.
Lamedonyx

Postby Lamedonyx » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Anthonest wrote:
Lamedonyx wrote:It looks that there is an attachment quota on this forum, so we can't post any new pictures... I made a regular version of the Elite Arcadian Fighter, so i guess I will put it on Imgur

It looks good but.. uh you appear to have removed the engines and the background is black. Also the insignia is usually removed with non-elite fighters.

I removed the two side engines because as you said : it's "non-elite" fighter. The ship isn't as powerful as the elite ones and therefore, less equipped.. Else, what is the purpose of Elite. I kept the insigna because it seemed more logical to recognize a ship with an insigna, or a major color change, than a simple stripe recolor, mostly in a space-fight.
About the black background : oops, i'm going to fix that as soon as possible.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:48 am

Lamedonyx wrote:
Anthonest wrote:

I removed the two side engines because as you said : it's "non-elite" fighter. The ship isn't as powerful as the elite ones and therefore, less equipped.. Else, what is the purpose of Elite. I kept the insigna because it seemed more logical to recognize a ship with an insigna, or a major color change, than a simple stripe recolor, mostly in a space-fight.
About the black background : oops, i'm going to fix that as soon as possible.

Well the point of an Elite fighter is that the person piloting it is elite, veteran, experienced, etc. FTL makes the ship more powerful because they can't do to much to the enemy crew to make it to much more of a threat, also I guess the insignia does make sense. But this is suppose to go along with FTL as the original rebel fighter does not have the insignia unlike the elite. Besides, the player will know green and grey are Arcadian colors.

Buts its fine I have already finished the non-elite fighter even before your last post.
Lamedonyx

Postby Lamedonyx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Ok : another question.
Color coding : we know that Arcadian ships are green and grey. Federation ships are orange and grey. Do the civilians use a specific color to show their neutrality. Same for traders. Are there other independant factions, such as politicals, tribes or pirates ?