Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
steamtex

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby steamtex » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:11 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:
steamtex wrote:Alright, I think I'll just dump this here for people to screw around with, rather than giving it a proper release. I got lazy.

Just out of curiosity, did you re-size the one I made or line up the original frames from scratch?

Alright, I finally got back to this place after another break.

Uh, yes. As noted, I'm not actually releasing it since some of the content was borrowed, and until I muster up the effort to do my own sprites that's not happening.
Fireclaw27

Postby Fireclaw27 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

So, I'm trying to make a mod that adds a lot of new weapons, drones, ships and possibly events. The story is that a FTL jump created a portal, and brung all(some of) the space craft from 1950-2015 to the world of FTL. I may change this and set it in our solar system, but this would be a lot harder, so I don't know.
There will be 4 parts so far, each with a group of stuff from a timezone.

Part1 - 1950-1960
Part2 - 1960-1970
Part3 - 1970-1980
Part4 - 1980-present

I am currently working on part1(which is a lot smaller than the others).

Part1 includes:
Sputnik 1 & 2
Luna 1, 2 and 3
Mariner 1
Explorer 1

I will have some images in a bit.
Yawdar

Postby Yawdar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:08 am

Trying to play around with a Mantis/Slug Fighter, cobbled together by the Engi in need of a fighter class :X
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 pm

I think I found a good project to get me back into the loop. Apparently someone by the alias of y0sho uploaded a U.S.S. Defiant mod a couple of years ago and never really finished it.

So far all I've done is fixed all the solid black lines to be one pixel thick (at least I think I got all of them), pasted on some detail from LordTrilobite's greeble mod, fiddled around with the colors a little and added the registry. I still have to apply the standardized perspective, apply shading and self-cast shadows, make a new cloke image and add gibs. It's not much so far. I wanted to get some feedback on the registry though, since I'm not totally comfortable with it myself. Any suggestions for improvements are appreciated.

EDIT: I think I've hacked together some workable projectile animations using some CE assets.

Photon Torpedos

Quantum Torpedos

For the photons I'll use a "spin" value in the actual weapon blueprint for the rotating light beam effect. I'm not totally sure about the quantums, I may have to find a way to spice that one up a little.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:26 am

Yawdar - I absolutely love that ship.

Chrono - Those photon torps are especially cool

My reason for posting: Work on this has to pause until later tonight, but I'm really itching to post it as it's a fully working ship.
All I need to do is make a bunch of promo stuff for it, but I can't cause i'm working, but I can't focus at work 'cuz it's just sat there....

Basically, here's a free preview of a ship for anyone who finds it.

The Paragonyx (Obsidian Bomber class)

(Info will come later, but for now note that you can't buy Shields or BackupBattery)

Let me know (PM me) if you try it out!

[edit] I've posted an actual mod page now, so updated this link!
Last edited by Gencool on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:33 am

So I got a new account, and that's nice(Formerly theDoomBox, username reminded me to much of that copypasta). I also polished up one of my favorite WIP ships for the final product, here it is:

But more importantly, greebles!

Feedback would be appreciated, I'm still not sure if I like the engine bits for the greebles. At least now I can start working on the actual mod itself instead of just the art.
ImageImageImage
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 pm

fed_pris_transport.zip

A little project I am working on... a Fed prison transport... the above is the image download. It's quite a large PNG... and clear, crisp pixels where possible, so it should be splice-friendly.

Sorry if it looks too unoriginal... I tried to take only from the Fed and Kestrel cruisers for it. As for the insecurities of the top vent... I don't give a crap; if they tried to escape through there, they would escape into space, suffocate, be teleported back on board and then at a more appropriate time, get jettisoned out of an airlock. :lol: Because they would want to give prisoners a spacefarer's funeral...

Yeah. Front bit (back of Kestrel) is main loading area where prisoners are put on board; the airlocks are for emergencies and crew use.

As for the backstory, it will be said in the ship description in-game.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
Andros

Postby Andros » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:I've gotten a little bit more detail done for the Nod cruiser:

The new room art is supposed to be an imitation of the Nod stealth generator. I think the cloak image is going to end up being red instead of blue to fit the color scheme. I'm not sure about implementing the Montauk-style cockpit anymore, I'd like a second opinion on that one.

NarnKar wrote:Just FYI, the Scrin might not work so well for FTL? It's a mostly round ship with a massive front spire sticking out of it (which dwarves the size of the main body, even!), and it's being put into a game that demands many rectangular rooms...either you're going to have to make the main body massive to accommodate all those rooms, or you're going to have to cram some rooms into the spire sticking out on the right of it?

I'm not really concerned about dimensions, I'll find some way to make it work. It may end up being pretty big, but so was the Kodiak!

stylesrj wrote:I know it's not possible to have the distinctive hum as the gun charges up though, but it must be in there somehow. It can't be the Obelisk of Light if it just makes the zapping noise. That's more of the Obelisk of Darkness or something :D

I'll add in some filler frames between the charged frame and the fire frame, that should give the hum and the zap enough time.

stylesrj wrote:As I keep suggesting, the Lanius ships might be the best bet on how to create Scrin vessels. Lots of spikes on both sides :D

I'm not sure the Lanius bits would go anywhere on the first Scrin ship. Maybe on one of the ones EA came up with, but I don't plan on using any of those.

I know this is quite an old post, but is there a way that I can use this texture on the vanilla stealth ship? Like, use this instead of the default stealth ship. This ship design is gorgeous and I would love to use it. Thanks!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:53 am

I am sorta getting back into the things and one of the first things I've been doing was brushing up my GO BALLISTIC weapon pack... trying to finalize my next weapon pack for beam and laser weaponry. Making an event to go with it based on FTL: Kestrel Adventures, specifically 3-ish minutes in on episode 9 with the mini beam + beam drone Rebel Rigger Mercenary which will help me out to make the events in the GO BALLISTIC mod that I wanted... and also a new ship which I may make an enemy ship (potentially a player ship later on), A stealth interceptor.
Will be doing a repaint to be more like the Federation Cruiser C (back + pirate red paint) but instead will be using a purple paint. After I do the gibs I will post it in the shipyard for anyone to use.

It's sorta WIP. may have to adjust some shadows and stuff.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Started fiddling around with stuff and instead of doing the Federation Type C paint job (mostly inspired from Lemonades ship paint job) I instead of going with space cathuhlu into some other pirate design.
I have always thought about having pirate factions and some potentially being more on the 'good' side or neutral (ie: mercenaries, privateers, pirates that attack only against a specific faction- ie mantis or rebels, Rock Outcasts, etc)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.