Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 am

Good to see people are still as creative as before.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Outdated federation colony cargo freighter. Intended to be an oxygen-less lanius boarder ship.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:39 pm

DoomBox, are you going to pull a Lemmonade, and make the doors room a cargo bay?
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 pm

NarnKar wrote:DoomBox, are you going to pull a Lemmonade, and make the doors room a cargo bay?

Funny you mention doors, as there are none. There's no reason to vent oxygen for obvious reasons, and I figured not being able to trap boarders was made up by the fact they'll be oxygen starved. But no, the cargo bay is represented by the teleporter. Unfortunately I couldn't line the teleporter up with the cool little sunroof door thing so a more accurate depiction of the cargo bay is the engines/weapons/med-bay/teleporter, due to the limitations of the size of my ship.

Plus, slightly modified hacking and med-bay room images, complete with a tiny bed to rest your wounded on.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 am

I guess it is time for another colorful ship, since I didn't like my sleepy attempt at splicing one. I hope it works, since I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I hope my impatience isn't for naught.
Unlike stylesrj's Magistrate, I'm overlapping rooms instead of placing multiple systems in the same room. My only experience with overlapping rooms happened when I accidentally misplaced a room when I made my White Dodo ship. That didn't involve Zoltans, though. I'm expecting a Zoltan to power both rooms when standing in a spot where the rooms overlap.

I'm predicting it should look something like this (if it works):
A Zoltan pilot would provide power to oxygen. A Zoltan doorman would power the medical room. A Zoltan in sensors would power mind control. A Zoltan in weapons would also power drones. Engines and shields would also power each other.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:18 am

Definitely not something I could easily do in Superluminal, RAD-82. If you do get it to work, would you mind explaining how you did it?

Also, I'm seeing potential "interestingness"--if you have a Zoltan manning the Weapons, he'd power the drone bay. But tiles two and four of the Weapons room don't overlap with the Drone room...

If a person stands in the overlap between two rooms, can they repair both rooms at once? And if a breach happens there, does it have to be repaired twice?

Weird stuff man.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:39 am

Great idea, RAD. Great idea. :)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 pm

NarnKar wrote:Definitely not something I could easily do in Superluminal, RAD-82.

Actually you can, you just have to go to Edit > Settings and check Allow Room Overlap. This allows you to drag and place rooms on top of each other ;)
(since with overlapping rooms order matter, you might need to use Ship Overview to reorder the rooms for them to be layered correctly)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. :(

Zoltans power by room, not by tiles that they occupy. The overlap failed to accomplish what I hoped to do. I guess I'll have to turn it into some kind of generic Zoltan ship now. :x
Last edited by RAD-82 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:06 pm

NarnKar wrote:I'm not terribly fond of the asymmetrical wing nacelles, but other than that it looks pretty neat.

It's quite appropriate on this small enemy warship, personally speaking.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!