[MOD]Star Trek - Enterprise 1701-A (by MattsterT)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
arcath

Re: [MOD]Star Trek - Enterprise 1701-A

Postby arcath » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I like where this is going.

If you dont mind me making a suggestion, is it possible to make the saucer symmetrical?
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm

arcath wrote:If you dont mind me making a suggestion, is it possible to make the saucer symmetrical?

Well there's a bit of an optical illusion thanks to the shadow which makes the layout look slightly too high but if you mean making the rooms inside the dish symmetrical I could by adding a 1x1 room to the right and a 1x2 room to be bottom for show though it seems a bit redundant when I don't have any starship systems to put in there.

Maybe if I create a custom interior background to make the space look used but not accessible, What do you guys think?
Here's a moc-up of what it would look like

http://i.imgur.com/uf83V.png
Bjartr

Postby Bjartr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:45 pm

[quote="MattsterT"][quote="arcath"]
Maybe if I create a custom interior background to make the space look used but not accessible, What do you guys think?

Make it reminiscent of Ten Forward
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Bjartr wrote:Make it reminiscent of Ten Forward

what about if I make the spare room more of a bar, Something more like this?

http://i.imgur.com/9t5TE.png
Valosar

Postby Valosar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

This is amazing, but would it be possible to make one room that has the shields, weapons, and pilot controls in it? As far as I know the warp nacelle shouldn't have anything in it that is accessable internally, the engine room should be some where inside the ship itself, as well as the O2 room. I know you're working with what is possible, not what is ideal so these are just suggestions :) It would be a lot cooler if all the crew could be on the bridge together rather than working in seperate parts of the ship.

Another question, is it possible to make the ship itself huge and only focus on the bridge and engineering ? So that when you zoom out you can see the entire ship, but during normal play it zooms in on the bridge and engineering (Which contains the o2 and engines and sensors etc) where as the bridge section contains the shields,weapons, and helm.) I'm not sure if there is a limit to how large the ship imagine is, if it must fit in the same bounds as the other ships or if you could make it so big only the bridge is visible when zoomed in.

Does that make any sense to you or am I just rambling at this point ? : P The prolbem, of course, is that the Enterprise is a lot bigger than the ships FTL normally uses. So it is hard to make it to scale and still have the game be playable. I think what you've done so far is a great job! Hope to see more from you in the future, maybe one for a Klingon Bird of Prey or the Defiant (Which is actually closer in size to the ships in FTL)
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Valosar wrote:This is amazing, but would it be possible to make one room that has the shields, weapons, and pilot controls in it? As far as I know the warp nacelle shouldn't have anything in it that is accessable internally, the engine room should be some where inside the ship itself, as well as the O2 room. I know you're working with what is possible, not what is ideal so these are just suggestions :) It would be a lot cooler if all the crew could be on the bridge together rather than working in seperate parts of the ship.

It's a very interesting thought, this version was basically just a fun little exercise in what the FTL game could adapt into it so I designed it with more of an "FTL ship" being the Enterprise rather than your approach of "the Enterprise ship" being in FTL because I'm weary of how far I can push the systems. if that makes sense.

Valosar wrote:Another question, is it possible to make the ship itself huge and only focus on the bridge and engineering ? So that when you zoom out you can see the entire ship, but during normal play it zooms in on the bridge and engineering (Which contains the o2 and engines and sensors etc) where as the bridge section contains the shields,weapons, and helm.) I'm not sure if there is a limit to how large the ship imagine is, if it must fit in the same bounds as the other ships or if you could make it so big only the bridge is visible when zoomed in.

This is an idea I find very intriguing and may have a play around and post the results in a separate through though because of the way the equipment and items are linked to one another it would require a total conversion including the enemy ships since you can't specify images for one ship to use and not another. that being said a mod which converts the entire game into a Bridge command type layout with the enemy bridge represented on-screen isn't something I'm at all opposed to trying, it will just have to be a separate mod
Valosar

Postby Valosar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Look forward to whatever you decide to work on :) If you could figure out how to put several systems in one room I'm sure you'll be famous :) Just think about what you could do with that, for example if you were able to put all systems on the same tile you could make one man fighter craft where the pilot also mans the shields/weapons and is responsible for all repairs and fighting off invaders etc. (I'm thinking here of a runabout in Startrek, they're like fighters but have room for more than one person while still being piloted normally by only one or two people at most)

Would also be interesting if you could mod in an AI control ship, without a crew like the AI Shows in FTL already. Would be an interesting change in tactics since you wouldn't have to worry about crew and your systems would auto repair (I assume, that is how the enemy flagship works if you kill all the crew at least so it should be replicable in players ships)

Regarding the bridge mod idea, one issue I didn't consider is where the weapons would go, if you zoomed in on the bridge you wouldn’t be able to see the weapons or the shield bubble itself and so wouldn't know what kind of weapons your enemy is using (unless you could make it zoom in and out with a button press but that is beyond the scope of even a TC, at that point you're talking about adding totally features) If you were going to be able to zoom in around a large ship at that point you might as well model the entire Enterprise in detail and make it possible to zoom all around the ship. Would certainly make boarding actions more interesting if you had to take over or defend a huge vessel with a large security crew. Again at this point I'm just rambling so it is safe to ignore me :)

<edit> there is one thing I wanted to ask you. Would it be very hard for you mod in startrek sounds and weapons as easily as you changed the ship itself? Phasers could be a beam weapon and photon torpedoes a missile based weapon, obviously :) (The big difference between FTL and startrek of course being that photon torpedoes can't slip past shields) I think a lot of people would be happy if you could just mod phasers over a beam weapon and torpedoes over a missile weapon (possibly the two shot missile since most star trek shows/movies tend to show torpedoes being launched in salvos rather than one at a time) Then replace the sound effects of firing and hits with those from star trek. A simple make over like that would go great with what you've already done, just make them the default weapons of your Enterprise A, maybe 2 phasers and 2 torpedoes and enough weapon system power to run them all at once. Also seems like the enterprise should have a teleporter room if it doesn't already ;)
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Valosar wrote:<edit> there is one thing I wanted to ask you. Would it be very hard for you mod in startrek sounds and weapons as easily as you changed the ship itself? Phasers could be a beam weapon and photon torpedoes a missile based weapon, obviously :) (The big difference between FTL and startrek of course being that photon torpedoes can't slip past shields) I think a lot of people would be happy if you could just mod phasers over a beam weapon and torpedoes over a missile weapon (possibly the two shot missile since most star trek shows/movies tend to show torpedoes being launched in salvos rather than one at a time) Then replace the sound effects of firing and hits with those from star trek. A simple make over like that would go great with what you've already done, just make them the default weapons of your Enterprise A, maybe 2 phasers and 2 torpedoes and enough weapon system power to run them all at once. Also seems like the enterprise should have a teleporter room if it doesn't already ;)

Ah now Star trek weapons and sounds is certainly possible and is on my list of experiments, because of the way the weapon system is designed adding new items is much easier than with ships and shouldn't need me to remap an existing weapon to pull it off.

The teleporter room is an optional room but seemed a bit over powered for a starting load-out and therefore will need to be purchased.
Valosar

Postby Valosar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Looking forward to your future exploits! Has anyone else done this yet? (modding new ships into the game, even if they overwrite old ships) Just saying, you could be the first to mod the Firefly ship in and be famous forever ; )
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

For anyone interested my current list of experiments you may get a chance to see soon is as follows...
- Star wars (various ships)
- Star Trek Weapons
- Firefly Serenity
- Star Trek Warbird
- Star Trek bridge battles (just started)
- AI Borg cube with no crew (Just started)

I'm currently just playing about with ideas and when I get a product near enough for me to show you guys I post it here to test and enjoy.

If anyone has anything else they would like to see I cant make any promises but I can throw it into the pot of working projects to make FTL more fun.