[Modding] R&D and current findings

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Rivers

Re: [Modding] R&D and current findings

Postby Rivers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 am

Kieve wrote:What's the "|"in your Weapon_PreIgnite line? Is that the cursor or did a typo slip in while you were adding that?
As I discovered tonight, all these XML scripts are hypersensitive to bad syntax. Forget one forward-slash closing tag or include an extra quotation mark and suddenly the whole game goes to hell in a handbasket. :roll:

No that's the cursor when I screenecapped it.

Its weird because I'm only editing 5 lines of code max, so very little chance of typos, yet it always crashes. Other people are putting in there own graphics/customs etc...

So the only think I can thing of, maybe Im not doing enough? As in should I edit the resource.dat file or something?

Or did adding in that extra weapon at the start mess the number of lines in the code? If someone could spend a few minutes tops at typing out that edit in the code and see if it works for them. Because unless my line of thinking is way off when it comes to that simple code, it should work right?
chronial

Postby chronial » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 am

Try applying your changes one by one to find out which is causing the crash. So first try to only add the augment. Then only change one weapon to burst3, etc.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 am

Btw, are you trying to modify the data.dat directly? If so = doesn't work.

If you're using GMM, ensure your files are coded in ANSI-format.
Greetz,
Alblaka
Rivers

Postby Rivers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am

Alblaka wrote:Btw, are you trying to modify the data.dat directly? If so = doesn't work.

:shock:

Alblaka wrote:If you're using GMM, ensure your files are coded in ANSI-format.

What's GMM if you please? And do you have a link where I can download the program?
chronial

Postby chronial » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

Alblaka wrote:Btw, are you trying to modify the data.dat directly? If so = doesn't work.

If you're using GMM, ensure your files are coded in ANSI-format.

100 Points for looking closely at the screenshot ;)

@rivers:
Have a look here: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Guide
You need to unpack the data.dat, make your changes and then repack. To that end there is a python and a java tool available. Pick one :).
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Using two <crewMember/> calls in a single event doesn't appear to work, only the last one is respected.

Does anyone know how to remove a specific race or person from a crew?

<crewMember amount="-1" class="engi"/> doesn't work and <crewMember amount="-1">EngiName</crewMember> doesn't work either.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
chronial

Postby chronial » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:Using two <crewMember/> calls in a single event doesn't appear to work, only the last one is respected.

You are right. If you want to add or remove more that one crewmember, set the amount to that number. If you want to add 2 crewmembers with specific names / different races, you will have to chain events with a "continue..." choice.

<crewMember amount="-1" class="engi"/> doesn't work and <crewMember amount="-1">EngiName</crewMember> doesn't work either.

I’m pretty sure that is impossible. You can only remove a completely random crewmember.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm

chronial wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:Using two <crewMember/> calls in a single event doesn't appear to work, only the last one is respected.

You are right. If you want to add or remove more that one crewmember, set the amount to that number. If you want to add 2 crewmembers with specific names / different races, you will have to chain events with a "continue..." choice.

I’m pretty sure that is impossible. You can only remove a completely random crewmember.

Which is silly, since you can add very specific crewmembers. I don't know why the reverse would not be possible.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
chronial

Postby chronial » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Because they did not add it into the game :). The game never does that – it’s possible that they took the time to add that feature and never used it, but that’s unlikely.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:48 pm

chronial wrote:Because they did not add it into the game :). The game never does that – it’s possible that they took the time to add that feature and never used it, but that’s unlikely.

Uh, but this is just the inverse of existent code. Have you actually played around with this, or are you just guessing?