I'm CaptainShooby and I think it would be helpful to gather information about modding FTL under a single thread.
I also have a thread running on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/comments/zz3pc/modding_rd_and_current_findings/
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE
I contacted the author of the FTLWiki and he kindly set up some modding sections in there.
I suggest we add all our discoveries there from now on.
ftldat by bas thank you!
a tool for unpacking and packing of the FTL .dat files
- repo: https://github.com/bwesterb/ftldat
- thread: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1920
- Disabling the rebel pursuit is simple. Instructions: http://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/comments/zyzl1/modder_has_figured_out_how_to_disable_fleet/c6911ii
- Or.. find "START_GAME" and "START_BEACON" in events.xml and add <modifyPursuit amount="-100000"/>
- All character names share the same list
- Ship statistics, systems and weapons are open to changes, but some limitations are in place (need more testing)
- Adding and moving rooms of a ship is possible
- The room layout (shipname.txt) file syntax is like this: http://pastebin.com/8nprzHH6
- Graphics elements can be changed
- All elements found in the xml files: http://pastebin.com/Mzqtbtpv Thanks marinepower
- Thread for above: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2270
- Guide to creating weapons by AtillaBosma: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2441
- My guide to custom events and sectors: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2533
I'm currently working on custom sectors and events. My findings and progress so far:
- Changing and adding different kinds of sectors works
- BLERP sector now has a custom startup event: http://imgur.com/a/3Q9Ra
- Added a couple of events into the sector. One of them seems to have some issues: http://imgur.com/a/wwikc
I'm also writing a tutorial/guide on everything I do so that I can help others as well.
I have to rethink the structure of my guide, but most of the content for the first part is ready.
If you are modding FTL as well, please comment and share your findings!