[Tool] ftldat r7

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
bathrobehero

Re: [Tool] ftldat r7

Postby bathrobehero » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:49 pm

BoogieMan

Postby BoogieMan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Okay, I followed the instructions to install and use. I copied the data.dat and resource.dat from the game directory to a folder I made in the ftldat directory. I extracted data.dat first. It appeared successful, but I can't find the files anywhere. I loaded cmd as an admin and extracted resource.dat, and it looked the same. Again, I can't find the files anywhere on my computer. I had windows search look for a specific file I saw it extract and it didn't find it. Yet when I tell to it extract again, it says they already exist.

What am I doing wrong here? I see no new folders anywhere and Windows can't find them so I am at a complete loss.
bas

Postby bas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

BoogieMan wrote:Okay, I followed the instructions to install and use. I copied the data.dat and resource.dat from the game directory to a folder I made in the ftldat directory. I extracted data.dat first. It appeared successful, but I can't find the files anywhere. I loaded cmd as an admin and extracted resource.dat, and it looked the same. Again, I can't find the files anywhere on my computer. I had windows search look for a specific file I saw it extract and it didn't find it. Yet when I tell to it extract again, it says they already exist.

What am I doing wrong here? I see no new folders anywhere and Windows can't find them so I am at a complete loss.

Which instructions did you follow? Please give a precise link.
BoogieMan

Postby BoogieMan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:02 pm

bas wrote:
BoogieMan wrote:Okay, I followed the instructions to install and use. I copied the data.dat and resource.dat from the game directory to a folder I made in the ftldat directory. I extracted data.dat first. It appeared successful, but I can't find the files anywhere. I loaded cmd as an admin and extracted resource.dat, and it looked the same. Again, I can't find the files anywhere on my computer. I had windows search look for a specific file I saw it extract and it didn't find it. Yet when I tell to it extract again, it says they already exist.

Which instructions did you follow? Please give a precise link.

From page 1 of this post.

Okay, well I can't explain it but I typed dir from the folder and I DID see the newly created folders. I went into windows to that folder but they didn't appear. I pressed F5 to refresh, nothing. I closed the window and navigated back and magically they were there, so it appears to be resolved. Sorry for the trouble! I can't fathom why windows search failed to locate them and why I had to reopen the window. :?

Never experienced this before but appears to have been a fluke.
Gakuno

Postby Gakuno » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 pm

I have the DRM-less version of FTL, but I have it installed on my desktop, since my parents don't want to give me the admin password. How do I install the ftldat program/run it?
bas

Postby bas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Gakuno wrote:I have the DRM-less version of FTL, but I have it installed on my desktop, since my parents don't want to give me the admin password. How do I install the ftldat program/run it?

Let someone zip the ftldat directory in their Program Files folder. Unpack it somewhere on your computer. You can run ftldat via the commandline, as if you installed it normally, with one difference: you need to prepend the full path to ftldat.exe.
Gakuno

Postby Gakuno » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 pm

bas wrote:
Gakuno wrote:I have the DRM-less version of FTL, but I have it installed on my desktop, since my parents don't want to give me the admin password. How do I install the ftldat program/run it?

Let someone zip the ftldat directory in their Program Files folder. Unpack it somewhere on your computer. You can run ftldat via the commandline, as if you installed it normally, with one difference: you need to prepend the full path to ftldat.exe.

Oops, forgot to mention i'm on a mac.
bas

Postby bas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 am

Gakuno wrote:
bas wrote:

Oops, forgot to mention i'm on a mac.

Then just download the source-code and use python path/to/ftldat/src/main.py.
Gakuno

Postby Gakuno » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:47 am

Then just download the source-code and use python path/to/ftldat/src/main.py.

I have no idea how python works, this is LITERALLY the first time I'm using it. I'm just doing this because Grognak's MM Mac Version doesn't work for me.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm also having problems with the Windows installer being reported as a trojan by Kaspersky, and I'm not permitted to disable Kaspersky on this computer.

Then I tried to use the Linux version, but it appears to only work if it's in a git repository?! I'm not very familiar with git, but I downloaded and extracted the zipball from https://github.com/bwesterb/ftldat . I'd have thought that was enough to look like a git repository? Why does it even need to get_git_version to install anyway?

I'd like to get into FTL mod development, but the combination of problems here is kinda blocking me at the moment...
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.