Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
PR0T05T33L

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby PR0T05T33L » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 am

Well, I found the artillery weapon in that file, so that's good. I had to check the dlcBlueprintsOverwrite file to find the actual ship though. I guess it's because it was a Type C. Thanks for the help!

And now the console glow images won't stay where I put them in Superluminal and the floor image has shifted randomly. Did I do something wrong? I've tried changing the console image to a different image entirely and it changed back to the original image in the same weird place. I've tried making the changes and adding a room, 'cause I thought that would help, but the only change that stayed was the new room. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I've changed the room image and the console glow is still off, but at the very least, it's only two pixels off to the side as opposed to being halfway across the room. I'd really like to fix this up completely though.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Last edited by PR0T05T33L on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I play games and make LEGO MOCs. I also made this Mantis Frigate mod and with some help, revived The Acerbus.
BishopAdams

Postby BishopAdams » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:04 pm

hey im fairly new to the modding scene, and ive encountered an error i cant troubleshoot.

im making a custom ship, im fully comfortable with the slipstream mod manager and superluminal and just now started dabbling with .xml.append editing. this is the first ship im making where i have edited the .xml file and although the ship shows up in game the game will crash if i try to start a run with the modded ship.

for reference:
i edited ships power to be 66
i edited drone power to be 14
everything else was achieved with the superluminal editor which has not yet failed to make a functional ship for me
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I've been working on my own ship mod with a weapon borrowed from a weapons pack. I've converted it in to a burst artillery laser and it seems to be working alright, but there's something I'd like to try to fix before I try to share this mod.

This weapon has three barrels and fires three lasers, but the lasers all seem to come from the first barrel. Is there a way to set up three separate firing points on a weapon? And just in case I need to, is there a way to change the amount of time between each shot?

EDIT: I've also noticed the firing animation loops each time the weapon fires, so each barrel pulls back three times. Is there a way to set up the firing animation so it'll play five frames between the first shot being fired and the second shot being fired, then play five different frames between the second and third shots, then the last five frames while the third shot is being fired? Alternatively, should I convert the weapon in to a shotgun and how would I go about doing that?
Last edited by PR0T05T33L on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
I play games and make LEGO MOCs. I also made this Mantis Frigate mod and with some help, revived The Acerbus.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

BishopAdams wrote:hey im fairly new to the modding scene, and ive encountered an error i cant troubleshoot.

im making a custom ship, im fully comfortable with the slipstream mod manager and superluminal and just now started dabbling with .xml.append editing. this is the first ship im making where i have edited the .xml file and although the ship shows up in game the game will crash if i try to start a run with the modded ship.

for reference:
i edited ships power to be 66
i edited drone power to be 14
everything else was achieved with the superluminal editor which has not yet failed to make a functional ship for me

Pretty sure it's the power, I think 60 is max but even then ships crash in ion storms or if a battery is activated. Had this file with 56 power for all ships and changing all the storms into nebulas for someone in some old thread.. Here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe5ckad1o5bwv11/high%20power%20patch.ftl?dl=0. If not maybe try 30-40.

If it still doesn't work it might be drones, too, never tried it that way.
BishopAdams

Postby BishopAdams » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Pretty sure it's the power, I think 60 is max but even then ships crash in ion storms or if a battery is activated. Had this file with 56 power for all ships and changing all the storms into nebulas for someone in some old thread.. Here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe5ckad1o5bwv11/high%20power%20patch.ftl?dl=0. If not maybe try 30-40.

If it still doesn't work it might be drones, too, never tried it that way.

thanks man!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm

PR0T05T33L wrote:And now the console glow images won't stay where I put them in Superluminal and the floor image has shifted randomly. Did I do something wrong? I've tried changing the console image to a different image entirely and it changed back to the original image in the same weird place. I've tried making the changes and adding a room, 'cause I thought that would help, but the only change that stayed was the new room. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I've changed the room image and the console glow is still off, but at the very least, it's only two pixels off to the side as opposed to being halfway across the room. I'd really like to fix this up completely though.

take a look inside the rooms.xml.append file inside the 'data' folder and make sure there are only at max 4 roomLayout tags per ship layout.

I don't know if that was relevant to you since you're only changing one ship it seems, but for multiple ships, you want superluminal to 'include mod files from' the previous version of the ship mod. if you change the rooms and then shift the glows before saving the ship with the previous version files, it won't delete the room glows from the previous versions (probably because it has no way of marking which ship they refer to).

I don't know why this makes the console glows screwy, flipped around even though you saved them right, but if you clean up that 'rooms.xml.append' file, it fixes that problem, and the glows won't look weird for your ship or pack of ships :roll:
Gaiajack

Postby Gaiajack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm

I'd like to run some statistical analysis on the game files, to answer questions like "Which gives better scrap on average, Green or Red sectors?" and "Should you really avoid all non-ship beacons if you have Long-Range scanners?". I've started writing my own python code to do this, but has anyone already created tools that would assist in this endeavor?
CarreraCT

Postby CarreraCT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello,
I'm new to posting with community so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I have played FTL for a long time now and I enjoy the mods people come out with. I found this while searching for more mods and saved the mods forum in my tabs to return and check to see if anything new was around. Now I'm interested in personal modding and I have spent quite a few hours searching through the forums looking for modding tools like ftldat and superluminal. Unfortunately I'm getting quite a few issues with even the basic points. Once I finish creating a player ship, I send it to Slipstream, install and test it out. However, all ships, including the defaults when my mod is installed, get various amounts of yellow and black checkered patterns over it. (I suspect a visual bug as when the room is empty with no sensors, the pattern isn't there.) Next, I've tried adding enemy ships but they do not show up. After a few minutes I realized they needed an event in which to show up in. So I searched on here for a bit and found CaptianShooby's FTL Modding Tutorial. This also wasn't helping as the very first download (FTLdat) I cant even get the computer to run since it is files. (I don't know how to run files honestly). I also cant find anyway to make events and after briefly reviewing CaptianShooby's tutorial again I only came out confused.

So my question would be these:

1. How do you fix the yellow and black checked pattern?

2. How do you run files like NSH Files and GITIGNORE Files?

3. Is there anything easier to understand on how to add events to sectors?

Thanks for anyone's help and sorry about the really long post.

Cheers.
Scilencerz Constantly develop their technology with the help of many games, one of their biggest belong to FTL ships even outpacing Pixel Starships' ships and Galaxy on Fire's Ships with its mass of weapons and systems. Keep on modding :)
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 pm

CarreraCT wrote:Hello,
I'm new to posting with community so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Hello! This is the modding questions thread so you're in the right place. :)
CarreraCT wrote:Once I finish creating a player ship, I send it to Slipstream, install and test it out. However, all ships, including the defaults when my mod is installed, get various amounts of yellow and black checkered patterns over it.
1. How do you fix the yellow and black checked pattern?

There is an answer to this on the Superluminal FAQ
Q: When I try to play my ship in-game, it has black-yellow checkered images on it!
This happens when you've installed mods with SMM while the editor was running, and then saved the ship. The solution is to either not do that, or use File > Reload Database as soon as you return to the editor.
Update: Since beta10, the editor will reload the database automatically when it detects that you've modified the game's archives.

CarreraCT wrote:Next, I've tried adding enemy ships but they do not show up. After a few minutes I realized they needed an event in which to show up in. So I searched on here for a bit and found CaptianShooby's FTL Modding Tutorial. This also wasn't helping as the very first download (FTLdat) I cant even get the computer to run since it is files. (I don't know how to run files honestly). I also cant find anyway to make events and after briefly reviewing CaptianShooby's tutorial again I only came out confused.

Therein lies the problem. CaptainShooby's tutorial, while maybe good as a guideline for tracing how sector_data.xml works with the events files, is outdated. Nobody uses ftldat anymore because Slipstream Mod Manager is better in every way.

CarreraCT wrote:3. Is there anything easier to understand on how to add events to sectors?

first and foremost, open readme_modders.txt in the folder you run Slipstream from. The first two sections, "Creating an .ftl File" and "The Append Extension" will get you up to speed on some modding basics.

Unfortunately, most of the modding guides having to do with event structure are outdated. Finding the vanilla files and just looking at those to trace how sector_data.xml works with events.xml and so on can be more helpful than deciphering them, though I will say that some of the older guides can give you pointers on how to read the xml stuff, for example this, https://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Events_file_structure

using a text editor like notepad++ or vim can help to give colors and folding on xml files rather than using the default notepad which imo is just impossible to look at.

(for getting the vanilla files, useful for seeing how sector_data file, events files, and autoBlueprints files are interconnected)
go to slipstream and click patch once it opens to restore it to vanilla, then go to File -> Extract Dats... This'll extract the dat files into a collection of files, xml (and txt) data files for data.dat, and various resource files for resource.dat.

Try looking through CaptainShooby's tutorial again, only paying attention to steps 2) and 3).

(for just adding an event with a ship to the start beacon for testing purposes)
pop this in events.xml.append

Code: Select all

<event name="START_BEACON">
   <text>Welcome to a new sector! Get to the exit beacon and jump to the next sector before the pursuing Rebels catch you!</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Testing an event...</text>
      <event load="MY_CUSTOM_SHIP_EVENT" />
   </choice>
</event>
<event name="MY_CUSTOM_SHIP_EVENT">
   <text>Uh oh, an enemy ship! Battle Stations!</text>
   <ship load="HELLO_SHIP" hostile="true">
</event>
<ship name="HELLO_SHIP" auto_blueprint="NAME_OF_SHIP_IN_AUTO_BLUEPRINTS">
   <destroyed load="DESTROYED_DEFAULT"/>
   <deadCrew load="DEAD_CREW_DEFAULT"/>
</ship>

think that should work...

sorry, I got distracted, uh, I hope that helps, and if there is still confusion I'll answer your questions with a fresh look later... :roll:
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 am

Hey there, don't know much about event modding and I followed what you just said but the event I whipped up here doesn't seem to be loading in game.

Code: Select all

<event name="START_BEACON">
   <text>Welcome to a new sector! Get to the exit beacon and jump to the next sector before the pursuing Rebels catch you!</text>
   <choice>
      <text>First, let's recruit another crew member.</text>
      <event load="J_CUSTOM_CREW" />
   </choice>
</event>
<event name="J_CUSTOM_CREW">
   <text>Before leaving the station, you're given the oppurtunity to choose a skilled addition to your crew. You have a few options.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>The ace pilot.</text>
      <crewMember amount="1"/>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>The Engi mechanic.</text>
      <crewMember amount="1"/>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>The Rock mercenary</text>
      <crewMember amount="1"/>
   </choice>
</event>

I know I haven't specified the race of the crew member, but shouldn't this event still load and give random crew members? It's just not changing anything, no event at the starting beacon.
ImageImageImage