Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
spicybanger

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby spicybanger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi, I'm new to this and have just been messing around with Superluminal to customize my own ships so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I was wondering is there a way to make weapons permanently fixed to your ship, so that you can't sell it or replace it with another weapon? Thanks
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 pm

spicybanger wrote:Hi, I'm new to this and have just been messing around with Superluminal to customize my own ships so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I was wondering is there a way to make weapons permanently fixed to your ship, so that you can't sell it or replace it with another weapon? Thanks

No, you cannot.

However, you can fiddle with custom weapons to make it so that the sell price is -9999, however that is an entirely new debacle which assumes you know how to make custom weapons.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
spicybanger

Postby spicybanger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Arfy wrote:
spicybanger wrote:Hi, I'm new to this and have just been messing around with Superluminal to customize my own ships so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I was wondering is there a way to make weapons permanently fixed to your ship, so that you can't sell it or replace it with another weapon? Thanks

No, you cannot.

However, you can fiddle with custom weapons to make it so that the sell price is -9999, however that is an entirely new debacle which assumes you know how to make custom weapons.

Damn, ok thanks
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:05 pm

You can make it into an artillery system (see the vanilla fed cruisers). But there's a whole slew of minor differences compared to standard weapons, such as more power reducing cooldown, inability to aim, being damaged and repaired separately from the weapons system, taking a whole extra system slot, not being able to have multiple artillery weapons on a ship at once without issues, lack of crew manning bonus (although the weapon firing still gives your gunner xp, and auto reloader augment still works), etc.
DolphyBlueDrake

Postby DolphyBlueDrake » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Well, I'm back into modding after taking a break for three years (well, I really quit in frustration because I couldn't finish my mod idea at the time. However, with the new stuff, I might have hope now). Like before, I was inspired by the obscure DONOR_PONY event, using it as a base for something that became a whole lot bigger. I had the denizens of the planet in that event replace the ghosts (so I had to remove the ghost ship and ghost boarders events), and you get one in your crew if you use the hidden Slug option, getting both the Engi, and one of them stows away in your shuttle before asking to join your crew to make up for them just staring in shock when you asked for help.
A Rebel Cruiser (called an Eliminator-Class) jumps to the beacon, tries to destroy you, but with a little help, you either destroy them or drive them off. The latter forces you to chase them down so they can't inform the Rebellion and enslave that planet.
But, the adventure diverges more in other ways, as well. New, magic-based weapons and drones are available (but not in stores or even at random) through merging Federation tech with the abilities of the locals, and if you wind up in the Crystal Homeworlds through the traditional quest to get there, (secret sector and all), attempting to leave that sector triggers an anomaly that catapults you a century forward into a bad future where the Federation is dead because you vanished.
The Rebellion became the Galactic Solarian Empire, either oppressing or hunting to extinction all non-humans. You have to fight through sector after sector of Imperial Space until you reach Resistance Space, which has the world from the event previously mentioned, which still hasn't fallen. You can get more super gear before returning to your own time, and then it's time to move forward to prevent that future.
Now, I think I've almost got it with the modified donor event chain, but when it comes to the use of the secret sector, I'm at a bit of a loss.
I need to keep the Crystal Homeworlds out of the main sector tree, but I need every exit beacon from their sector until the portal back to the present to use <secretsector/> so as to keep it from using up any part of the main sector tree.
With the <mod:yadayadayada> tags added while I was on hiatus, I need to ask:
1. Can I have events activate them instead of only using them in advance?
2. If so, can I make the exit beacon check your current sector now and do the time anomaly in the Crystal sector, as well as redefine "CRYSTAL_HOME" (or replace it) so the next sector will be different?
3. Can the <mod:blahblahblah> tags be used to make a new crewmember have a specific color scheme with their multiple layers? I plan on some fixed-coloration characters, if possible.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 am

DolphyBlueDrake wrote:1. Can I have events activate them instead of only using them in advance?
The <mod:etc> tags are only meaningful to Slipstream. FTL never sees them, only the result of their modifications to the XML. They make mods more flexible and mutually compatible but do not add features to the game itself.
DolphyBlueDrake

Postby DolphyBlueDrake » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Vhati wrote:
DolphyBlueDrake wrote:1. Can I have events activate them instead of only using them in advance?
The <mod:etc> tags are only meaningful to Slipstream. FTL never sees them, only the result of their modifications to the XML. They make mods more flexible and mutually compatible but do not add features to the game itself.

Dang. Well, is there anything I can still do? I was thinking of having the starting beacon for the Crystal Homeworlds place quest markers on every beacon to ensure that I create the sector I want (in a way), but that's a lot of quest markers to put out, and that'd still require a lot of code.
ObstRiegel

Postby ObstRiegel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello at All,

I am triyng to create an German Lanugage Mod and have a problem with the letter: "Ö","ö","Ä","ä","Ü","ü". There are some text that doesn´t support the letters, I have tried to create an new .font file but failed. Are there .font files with these letter to download or could someone please create some files for me?

Greetings
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 am

Gidoza wrote:I'm using a slightly older variant of CE ... the SOUNDS of everything in CE simply do not play, and also both the Oxygen and Evasion panels are out of sync. How do I fix that myself?

the sounds problem is because prior to FTL 1.6 there were unused vanilla sounds that CE referenced, but in FTL 1.6 these were removed from vanilla, so the latest CE had to add them in. I believe you can tell which sound files are missing by finding the sounds in sounds.xml that give the "Sound name not found:" error in FTL.log (FTL.log is found wherever ftl.dat is). I don't remember any of them off-hand, but you could also try comparing the latest CE Resource Pack and your version, and see which sound files are missing. it may also be useful to see how sounds.xml.append has changed too. oh and also FTL 1.6 stopped supporting mp3 files, so if there are any of those they'll need to be converted to wav or ogg.

thinking about it more, I don't think audio stuff has changed much so I suppose you could just get the latest sounds.xml.append (maybe also dlcSounds.xml.append? I can't remember if CE makes any changes there) and everything new in audio/waves/. then you'll have the old vanilla sound files and if any files got converted, sounds.xml.append will be right too.

the old oxygen and evasion panels don't line up correctly, but I think there is a nice looking version in sMPK that has the words "OXYGEN" and "EVADE" instead of the icons.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 am

Simple question, in theory - is there an image that is used for the ‘orb’ around nebula beacons on the map and/or the glowing orb used around beacons about to be captured by the rebel fleet or is this hard coded?