Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:41 pm

@IndustrialRobot
You can also click on the Quote button above someone's reply to see how they used the BBCode tags (that's what those things in square brackets are called)

@Rave
IIRC: you get only one artillery UI, and you can only control the power of the first defined artillery. The other artilleries are permanently powered up, and they inherit the power level of the first artillery (not very sure on that one). Artillery behaves kinda like AI targeting -- multiple projectiles go to different room each (the game will crash if your artillery has more shots than the enemy ship has rooms)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:45 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@IndustrialRobot
You can also click on the Quote button above someone's reply to see how they used the BBCode tags (that's what those things in square brackets are called)

@Rave
IIRC: you get only one artillery UI, and you can only control the power of the first defined artillery. The other artilleries are permanently powered up, and they inherit the power level of the first artillery (not very sure on that one). Artillery behaves kinda like AI targeting -- multiple projectiles go to different room each (the game will crash if your artillery has more shots than the enemy ship has rooms)

That crash part is interesting. How much is the max rooms in vanilla?

I believe that title goes to the Auto scout and assault with 5 rooms.

I know the engi scout and mantis are about 7+. Federation scout is around 5 or 6 I believe.

I assume making the weapon a "Shot gun" can make it fire more projectiles?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:30 pm

When I place multiple artilleries. Are they all visible? if so do they fire from the weapon mount 6 (2nd arty), 7 (3rd arty), etc?

I kinda made a ship that was going to use multiple artillery mounts but superluminal didn't display the other artilleries sadly. Not sure if that's how it is or not.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:10 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:When I place multiple artilleries. Are they all visible? if so do they fire from the weapon mount 6 (2nd arty), 7 (3rd arty), etc?

I kinda made a ship that was going to use multiple artillery mounts but superluminal didn't display the other artilleries sadly. Not sure if that's how it is or not.

They all should be visible and they should fire from the extra mounts.

Also, keep in mind that if you reset the game without going to the hangar first, the excess artillery systems will disappear in that playthrough. So always use the hangar.

Lastly, the second or more artillery does count as a system slot but it won't show on the systems list. This does limit what systems your ship can acquire and if you have 3 or more, you can't buy any more systems.
Kn16h7

Postby Kn16h7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Is it possible to have an event add a system to your ship? For instance, I want the reward of a specific event to be a teleportation system.

Also, Is it possible to disable engines out of combat yet?
Edit: Oops... Wrong Thread.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Kn16h7 wrote:Is it possible to have an event add a system to your ship? For instance, I want the reward of a specific event to be a teleportation system.

Also, Is it possible to disable engines out of combat yet?

For your first question, no that is impossible. You can however upgrade existing systems or add reactor power if you like. As for your second question I'm not sure what you mean but you can disable engines outside of combat. You probably don't want to do that though, as it would leave the player stranded indefinitely if there was no event to trigger them turning back on.

Anyways, I have my own question. What am I doing wrong here? Everything works fine until I add this section in.

Code: Select all

<systemBlueprint name="battery">
   <type>battery</type>
   <title>unobtainable</title>
   <desc>unobtainable.</desc>
   <startPower>1</startPower>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
      <level>1</level> <!-- level 2 -->
      <level>1</level> <!-- level 3 -->
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>999</cost>
   </systemBlueprint>

<systemBlueprint name="sensors">
   <type>sensors</type>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>999</cost>
   </systemBlueprint>

<systemBlueprint name="drones">
   <type>drones</type>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>999</cost>
   </systemBlueprint>

<systemBlueprint name="hacking">
   <type>hacking</type>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>999</cost>
   </systemBlueprint>

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:55 pm

What exactly is going wrong?

At a quick glance, I don't see anything wrong, but maybe setting drones maxPower to 3 is causing issues?

Second thought, those systems don't belong in the same file. Are you placing sensors and drones in blueprints.xml.append, and placing battery and hacking in dlcBlueprints.xml.append?
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:22 pm

RAD-82 wrote:What exactly is going wrong?

At a quick glance, I don't see anything wrong, but maybe setting drones maxPower to 3 is causing issues?

Second thought, those systems don't belong in the same file. Are you placing sensors and drones in blueprints.xml.append, and placing battery and hacking in dlcBlueprints.xml.append?

Ah, it's most likely because I placed battery and hacking in blueprints instead of dlcblueprints. What was happening was the mod loaded fine but the ship didn't appear in the hanger.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:17 pm

So I've been looking around and embarrassingly I cant find dlcBlueprints.xml.append. I'm guessing I create it myself but I'm not sure. Can someone give me a rundown of it or an example of what the document would look like. Thanks, sorry for the noob question.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm

theDoomBox wrote:So I've been looking around and embarrassingly I cant find dlcBlueprints.xml.append. I'm guessing I create it myself but I'm not sure. Can someone give me a rundown of it or an example of what the document would look like. Thanks, sorry for the noob question.

basicly what you said is it. dlcBlueprints.xml.append

Inside it will be pretty much the same as a normal blueprints.xml.append, however instead of normal weapons, it has weapons that require AE to use. (examples of vanilla games = Flak, chain weapons, etc)

Anyway I got a question myself... How is the fastest way to make that pink glow on ships using GIMP and also what is the easiest ways to make the cloaking image?

I think I got getting the outline done and easy. But I got a similar problem with making glows.

The ways I do it is by using the Airbrush tool and slowly going around the lines. This often leads to having LOTS of errors, such as areas to thick or too thin.

It's also very time consuming and I seen on photoshop video guide for it that Taxi made was very simple, Just by using some bizarre tool pop up thingy, simply selecting preferences (colour, distance off glow from line, etc) and then boom, insta perfect glow.

One of my friends who's also an FTL modder often boasts how easy it is with photoshop as he makes gibs, ship hulls, shields, cloak, floor, and glow in under 30 minutes while making ship hulls for me is a task that can take days or even a week. (could be different time spend on the day but I definitely spend more then 30 minutes per sitting)

It's so annoying making a good looking ship hull then you go settle for poor gibs, cloak, shield, etc just because off how worn out I am at the end or having lack of experience on GIMP. (I'm basically using gimp the same way I used Paint 1995 but using layers only to move things around without having the space behind it deleted / altered)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.