Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
IONASPHERE

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby IONASPHERE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:17 pm

kartoFlane wrote:I have a PSD from back when I made my Auto-Cruiser here -- the cloak layer has settings that should create a cloak image that is pretty damn close to the ones in the game. The only thing you need to do is draw the black outlines of your ship on that layer.

Sadly, from what I recall, it doesn't quite work in GIMP...

I just made my own, it looks kinda similar, but I guess it'll do: http://imgur.com/CO1Buvb
IONASPHERE

Postby IONASPHERE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Oh, and thanks for making your ship editor. I can't say how amazing it is
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:59 am

Been messing around a bit with the Slipstream tags, but I just can't get this to work.
The idea is to add another <track> to some sectors, and for compatibility reasons, I'd rather use those advanced tags.
Been using it with the XML sandbox in slipstream but I don't see any changes, so naturally, there must be something wrong with the code itself :

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="sectorDescription" name="CIVILLIAN_SECTOR">
   <mod:findLike type="trackList">
      <mod-append:track>track_name</mod-append:track>
   </mod:findlike>
</mod:findName>

This bit of code will go in the sector_data.xml of course.
I've already got the sounds.xml.append which is probably fine :

<music>
   <track>
      <name>track_name</name>
      <explore>Music_EXPLORE.ogg</explore>
      <combat>Music_BATTLE.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

Though I'd rather have this in advanced tags as well, problem is I don't know how to add <name>, <explore> and <combat> in as one part...
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 am

Biohazard063 wrote:name="CIVILLIAN_SECTOR"

You have a typo.

And this one works pretty much the same way:

<mod:findLike type="music">
   <mod-append:track>
      <name>track_name</name>
      <explore>Music_EdfgdfgfdhfdhgfhdLORE.ogg</explore>
      <combat>Music_BATTLEfdhgdhgfh.ogg</combat>
   </mod-append:track>
</mod:findLike>

I'm not sure if yours above is even correct, actually, since all music seems to be in one tag. Might not work if divided?
Yawdar

Postby Yawdar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:34 am

I have completed and am ready to release my first ship after 3 or 4 ish days working on it! The Amalgamus. But... Before posting it i have one or two beginner's question(s). Since i am using CE Infinite and CE Infinite related mods such as the Endless Loot For CE Infinite on the ship, will those assets still work (The weapons Ect) for the download-ee's of my ship? Or would the Endless Loot CE Infinite and CE be required for others to use it? And also, is uploading the .ftl of the ship all that is necessary? Or do i also have to include any of my custom resources (Hull made in GIMP ect)?

-Thank You :roll:
-Hopeful Ship Makin Man :roll:
-Yawdar :roll:
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 am

It would only work for people who have CE/EL, but I think it's pretty common practice to just include the required weapon's data and resource files in your own mod. In that case, the weapon is added along with the ship even if someone only has vanilla FTL.

And just .ftl is good, that's all that's needed.
Yawdar

Postby Yawdar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:25 am

So are we saying that the ships final export/save from Superluminal, would in-fact have everything needed for it? So people WOULDN'T need the mods? the .ftl of the ship would contain it all? and if that is not what we are saying, how do i package all of the resources with the ship (and what needs to be packed with it?), i am new to this, and looking for the facts before i post, as i spent a lot of time on this, and i want it to be ready to roll with no issues!
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:35 am

I'm not really well acquainted with SuperLuminal, it might have an option like this, but you may have to do it manually.

If there is such an option, it should be easy enough for you to test yourself.

If not:

You have to take all the custom weapons you use, take their names(ids, whatever), open up EL files, find that weapon (ctrl+f through blueprints.xml.append, dlcblueprints.xml.append etc.), and add it to a file with the same name in your mod. You'd also need to move any graphics files, too.

I don't know if you've been going through .ftl files before, or just doing superluminal. I think many of Biohazard063's ships have custom weapons included, so you could download and go through some of these.
Yawdar

Postby Yawdar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 am

In Superluminal i have the option to save the ship and all of its parts as a .ftl file, and as a "Resource Folder" i would assume saving the ship as a resource folder would package all of the parts into a file. Ill try it out, and would i be able to test it by simply de patching all of my mods with Slipstream MM, then trying to load the ship with vanilla? Or will mod resources still be in my FTL directory, thus allowing the ship to still pull parts from them and not giving me a pure result?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:50 am

Re-patching with only the ship mod is fine.

As for saving as a package, I think that might simply mean saving in a folder instead of a packing as a zip and renaming to ftl. Easier to pick through and add some final touches, it might come in handy to you.