Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread. Updated Oct 20, 2013

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:The following test code worked, but acted VERY oddly (not as intended), then stopped working (crashing to desktop immediately upon game start).

I'm guessing I didn't turn ghosts on or something, but an analysis of Blueprints.xml reveals nothing...

Ghosts should just work. I didn't do anything to enable them for my mod (Feel free to dissect the files for the Black Opal, Haunted Rigger). The only thing that jumps out at me is your naming your ghost and making her female. I never set a gender for my ghosts and for all I know you can't.

I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen a female ghost on my ship, and I *think* they're actually faded out rebels who are all male.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 am

Huge headache. More experimentation to follow.

Continued:

Yeah, using a saved game editor I've been able to create female ghosts. So they are there in the game...
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

I have had several female ghosts spawn in Captain's Edition, so it works. It's just random - but the same goes for female humans.
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:55 am

Sometimes, when I'm playing, if I go to a civilian sector after the first one, the game crashes when I try to open up the FTL Jump Map. I'm sure this is caused by something I did modding-wise, but I can't tell what and Error Checker gives no insight. It only happens when I go to a civilian sector, never happens on the first sector, and is very frequent when I do go to a civilian sector but doesn't happen every time.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:04 am

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Xion, if you ever localize the error, put up a post here alerting us. It might help me nail these bugs...

I'm tempted to scrap all my current sector/events data and start fresh, and this time test each damned step of the way... gah.

Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 am

XionGaTaosenai wrote:Sometimes, when I'm playing, if I go to a civilian sector after the first one, the game crashes when I try to open up the FTL Jump Map. I'm sure this is caused by something I did modding-wise, but I can't tell what and Error Checker gives no insight. It only happens when I go to a civilian sector, never happens on the first sector, and is very frequent when I do go to a civilian sector but doesn't happen every time.

That means that one or more events that can be called in this sector have serious problems, so that they cause crashes already when they are randomly selected for this sector. Best recheck all your new events that can be called in the civilian sector.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

with the .txt file. can someone tell me how exactly to move the ship up and down?

Code: Select all

X_OFFSET
Y_OFFSET
HORIZONTAL
VERTICAL

What is the difference between X_OFFSET and HORIZONTAL, same question about VERTICAL and Y_OFFSET.
when I attempted to do a negative number for X and Y the mod will not work and I do not know how to make it move in a specific direction, literally earlier today it seemed that bigger number = downwards and now it's completely opposite. And what unit of measurement is X and Y in? I don't think it is in pixels.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:18 pm

@R4V3-0N
'Tis all listed on the wiki:

• Positive values move the ship right/down, negative left/up, depending on axis
  • X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET move the ship by #*35 pixels in respective direction
    For all rooms and doors, both (X_OFFSET + X) and (Y_OFFSET + Y) must be >= 0, otherwise the game will crash
  • VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL move the ship by # pixels in respective direction
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm

On the image strips (and other things)

when it says

random_weapon_strip10

Is the number on the end important and/or what does it do? I am trying to mod weapons and before I named my strip I checked quickly what it is called on the "how to mod weapons" thread and/or vanilla weapons and they all got numbers on the end. Didn't find my answer on that thread or any others relating weapons.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 pm

This is ridiculously simple.

Look at the light_laser4 (might be called laser_light4 or some other variation) in the basic tutorial.

Now go to weapons.

You should find the EXACT NAME there.

It's only for special cases (like drones) that exact names are not employed.

Anyways, going to collapse for the next 12 hours or so. Got some nice new sound effects for my FTL mod! :twisted: