Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:45 am

95% Chance wrote:
stylesrj wrote:Resources can be put into am .ftl file. Look at how other mods do it for examples. I recommend Captain's Edition

I know they can, I'm just wondering if I can use stuff from resources and .xml.append files in the same .ftl file, because one depends on the other for what I'm doing.

EDIT:: Figured out what the hell to do, thanks CE

You CAN have 2 seperate files that depend on each other or 1 depends on the other.
For instance look at the ship mods that use CE weapons without it on the mod, they require CE but are not in the same .ftl file as CE.

You can also have the same 2 components under the same FTL file however rather that be necessary or not is situational.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
earlyraven

Postby earlyraven » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 am

Question: Can I make a certain event happen on planets that the game puts the <store> tag on? If so, how?

Context: I'm working on a Super Store mod that basically lets you buy anything by using a choice based menu system. I currently have it set to open at start beacon events (but this is not how I want the finished product as it conflicts with another mod of mine + other reasons). I figured out I can create a store with the <store/> tag, but I'd rather it make use of the existing stores.
LehGogh

Postby LehGogh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:53 pm

@earlyraven: If I understand correctly, you are trying to put a thing before the <store/> tag in each of the store events (similar to CE). However, you would have to go into each of the events and edit them directly (using SMM's 1.2 tags for partial compatibility).
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:54 pm

You could probably use SMM advanced tags. I don't know exactly how they work, but they go kind of something like (pseudocode here, not functional code):

<find: "<store>"> (I know SMM has a find function, to find specific places where you want to make changes)
<append: event code> (This one, I'm not too clear about; a lot of the past questions on this thread have been event-related though, if you don't mind doing some reading)
pirateandy37

Postby pirateandy37 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:51 pm

ok so im almost finished i need a very big shield though and i dont have photoshop so i cant make also i need a very big floor (just make a giant invisible square for the floor)
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 pm

pirateandy37 wrote:ok so im almost finished i need a very big shield though and i dont have photoshop so i cant make also i need a very big floor (just make a giant invisible square for the floor)

Get GIMP 2.8.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?
One as combat and one as exploration as well?

It seems redundant, but I've recently just finished a mod that replaces the Last Stand's music with a combat theme of the Federation track. Which was made by a friend of mine, and I kind of prefer the Federation theme over the Last Stand track.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:02 am

95% Chance wrote:Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?

It seems redundant, but I've recently just finished a mod that replaces the Last Stand's music with a combat theme of the Federation track. Which was made by a friend of mine, and I kind of prefer the Federation theme over the Last Stand track.

It should be possible. You'll have to make a copy of the data\sounds.xml file, change it to an .append file (sounds.xml.append), and delete everything except for the following (OR, just make an .append file called sounds.xml, and add this code to it, if you want to keep it simple):

Code: Select all

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <explore>bp_MUS_LastStand.ogg</explore>
   </track>
</music>

Then, you can add a <combat></combat> entry, with the name of your song's file between the ><s. Like so:

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <combat>bp_MUS_LastStand_battle.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

Accordingly, you'll put your song files in an audio\music folder within your mod, as that's where the game looks for music. Somewhere along the line I probably screwed this up, but that's my understanding of it.

Assuming I follow the above guide and the above guide is correct, here's an example that should work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wyxfp95ggw1i ... e.ftl?dl=0
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am

steamtex wrote:
95% Chance wrote:Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?

It should be possible. You'll have to make a copy of the data\sounds.xml file, change it to an .append file (sounds.xml.append), and delete everything except for the following (OR, just make an .append file called sounds.xml, and add this code to it, if you want to keep it simple):

<track>
      <name>laststand</name>
   </track>

Then, you can add a <combat></combat> entry, with the name of your song's file between the ><s. Like so:

<track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <explore>YOURSONGNAME1.ogg</explore>
      <combat>YOURSONGNAME2.ogg</combat>
   </track>

Accordingly, you'll put your song files in an audio\music folder within your mod, as that's where the game looks for music.

The mod had already been completed and I ended up finding out all this through trial and error. Unfortunately it seems like the .append file did not work when I tried it, as it still played the Last Stand track instead. I ended up having to go a roundabout way and pretty much replace the entire audio/music folder with that tiny change.

Any suggestions?
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 am

95% Chance wrote:The mod had already been completed and I ended up finding out all this through trial and error. Unfortunately it seems like the .append file did not work when I tried it, as it still played the Last Stand track instead. I ended up having to go a roundabout way and pretty much replace the entire audio/music folder with that tiny change.

Any suggestions?

Check the updated post I made. I screwed up the code.

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <combat>bp_MUS_LastStand_battle.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

Otherwise, here's a thought:

In sounds.xml.append:

<music>